PDA

View Full Version : Lpg & Rica 280?

oddjones
Thursday 16th November 2006, 17:45
Does anybody have any experience of LPG on a T5? I have a M REG 850T5 with a RICA 280 conversion. Comparatively low mileage (95k) And am just looking at options for reducing running costs(!). I drive it daily to work in heavy traffic, where performance is not a big deal - just wondering whether the conversion would cause any undue issues to the turbo or the remap...?

Mrsmopp
Thursday 16th November 2006, 18:06
Have a look here http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13906&highlight=LPG

abdul
Thursday 16th November 2006, 18:41
got a volvo v70 t5 lpg so far done 12000 miles no problems too many cowboys who say they can do lpg but got no ideas

Niles
Thursday 16th November 2006, 19:07
for the price of an lpg conversion why not buy a little engine run about? we've got a Pug 205 gti 1.6 for such things.

NugentS
Friday 17th November 2006, 08:38
I have a 2.5 LPT on LPG and done 113K with about 80K on gas. Adam (VT) is wary of chipping a converted volvo and from my experiance I can see his point.

LPG is probably better for the car - but the systems tend to be a bit crude (even the better ones) and as chipping tends to move your operational envelope further to the extreme you are running the risk of removing the safety factor that the LPG kit manufacturers are assuming is there.

Another possible problem is heat. LPG burns hotter thus generating more heat at the cylinder head. Now I am assuming that a chipped car also burns hotter with a possible leaner mixture, more boost etc). Add LPG's extra heat and its something to think about.

I also seem to remember that LPG, depsite having a higher octane value than petrol (even optiplop etc) has some strange behaviour under pressure where it can act as a lower octane value material. I seem to remember a report written in Australia mentioning something about this with particular relavence to turbo cars.

Having said all that - I am tempted as well but will probably remain tempted until the car finally dies!!!

Sean