PDA

View Full Version : Egg crate grill Vs standard Grill

Dacvolvo
Wednesday 15th November 2006, 19:14
Hey folks

Been wanting an egg crate grill (or grille if you prefer) ever since I bought the C70 about 2 months ago... So three guesses what arrived today?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/Dacvolvo/C70/mini-Grilltogrill.jpg

It was pitch dark outside when I arrived home tonight and I still haven't managed to get around to putting a light up in my garage. So with the rain driving down outside at what can only be described at best as a storm of biblical proportions, here's the best piccy I can get with the doors of the garage open and my drive-way light on:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/Dacvolvo/C70/Grillfitted.jpg

Very chuffed and brings the Volvo a little more up to date ;)

siamblue
Wednesday 15th November 2006, 19:33
Looks good Dac, i would love a more modern grille, but i don't think i want to spend anymore on car at this moment in time,

Gary,

siamblue
Wednesday 15th November 2006, 19:56
Yes i agree Fletch i have to get rid of mine ;)

cegc70t
Wednesday 15th November 2006, 23:12
Looking good dac m8. I am not a big fan of the eggcrate but hey!!! one mans meat etc ...

Dacvolvo
Thursday 16th November 2006, 00:13
Cheers folks

I know it's not to everyone's taste, but after driving a 440 for 3 years, a S70 for two years and now a C70 for two months (all 3 cars have had the exact same style of grille), I thought I'd get a change and I must say, I love it! ;)

Just need to buy some crystal headlights now and I'll be laughing... Or should I opt for the 300+ RICA instead?

At this rate, the missus will be lucky if she receives a Christmas card this year :rotfl:

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 16th November 2006, 01:33
will i get 1?

Straker
Thursday 16th November 2006, 02:06
Grill looks good mate, gives a sporting touch without being too OTT.

V70Man
Thursday 16th November 2006, 07:04
Looks very nice.:santa:

mickthedriver
Thursday 16th November 2006, 17:28
dac.im in the same predickyment as you,headlights or rica or both.if your gunna do something that the mrs will shout about then do it big style plus you only get the wrath once.

bye bye christmas:santawave

p.s. cool grille cant make my mind up which one ill go4.

indy
Thursday 16th November 2006, 18:09
well if anyone doesnt want an egg crate grille, ill have happily take it away!!! pm me as im after one :)

looks good dac, get up some proper pics m8 :daisy:

RPM
Thursday 16th November 2006, 18:13
Egg crate looks ace!

SAMXPJ
Friday 17th November 2006, 19:13
What was the cost Dac ? I was looking at the volvosparesonline egg crate but their's does'nt have the volvo logo but are £80 in black or chrome for the early 70 series.

Azza
Friday 17th November 2006, 20:09
IIRC the egg crate grille costs around £110.

Azza

siamblue
Friday 17th November 2006, 20:52
Some of those egg crates on Ebay look very chinese made, tacky if you ask me, better off buying the pukka one,

Gary,

Ian C70T5
Friday 17th November 2006, 21:43
cool, im getting the grill and lights soon. wel excited

SAMXPJ
Saturday 18th November 2006, 02:07
Will these grills fit the earlier 70 series ie 98 cars ?

Dacvolvo
Saturday 18th November 2006, 09:58
Will these grills fit the earlier 70 series ie 98 cars ?

You mean like this 'R' Reg 1998 C70?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/Dacvolvo/C70/Grillfitted.jpg

Yes ;)

SAMXPJ
Saturday 18th November 2006, 10:12
Thank's for that Dac, do you have a part number for it as our local stealer only understands numbers incapable of looking up parts !

Dacvolvo
Saturday 18th November 2006, 10:28
Thank's for that Dac, do you have a part number for it as our local stealer only understands numbers incapable of looking up parts !

Part number is V00-9190777 and that's for all the phase one 70 series Volvos (V70, S70, C70). Just walk into any Volvo garage and ask for a 2003 C70 grill and you'll get it.

;)

T5chris
Saturday 18th November 2006, 10:54
Looks good Dac!

Glad I've already got one!! Like you I want the crystal lights and indicators but the cost outweighs the merits for me at the mo!

PS. Have you noticed a different in the running temp of your car with the egg-box grille, mine seems to be running cooler (however I suppose it could also be down to the lambda sensors probs I've had)

Chris....

Dacvolvo
Saturday 18th November 2006, 11:18
Have you noticed a different in the running temp of your car with the egg-box grille, mine seems to be running cooler (however I suppose it could also be down to the lambda sensors probs I've had)

Hey Chris

Nope - the dash has always shown the needle as being sat bang in the middle of the the temperature gauge. No change whatsoever, Bud.

I wouldn't have thought there'd have been any change to be honest with you. Even if you were to remove the grill completely and drive around, I doubt that you'd see any difference in engine temperature as the grills are designed to allow air flow and not restrict it in anyway. Pity the same can't be said for the horns and their daft location directly in front of the grill...

The grill's purely for vain people (like myself) who think the newer styled grill is just a wee bit cooler looking. But interestingly, the missus prefers the older styled grill as there's much more chrome on it.

;)

T5chris
Saturday 18th November 2006, 13:16
Must just be the cold weather then?

st1t5
Saturday 18th November 2006, 16:17
The grille looks good mate, as you know i have the mesh grille on my C70, i reckon they totally transform the front end.

Dacvolvo
Saturday 18th November 2006, 18:30
The grille looks good mate, as you know i have the mesh grille on my C70, i reckon they totally transform the front end.

R - you were my inspiration to mod the grill ;)

SAMXPJ
Saturday 18th November 2006, 18:46
Thank's for that Dac I'll get one ordered on monday, you can't take a lot of notice of the fair sex they always go for the shiney things in life:)