PDA

View Full Version : Help needed

Titch
Friday 15th April 2005, 21:53
Some assistance would be appreciated peeps!
I noticed that I had a slight misfire under high load, so I thought I would change the spark plugs. Changed plugs (NGK's) and the car is running like pig? Missiing and backfiring strong smell of unburnt fuel. So I put the old plugs back in and ..... the car is still running like a pig. Any suggestions?

Titch :help:

spesh
Friday 15th April 2005, 22:01
Check all electrics, Plug leads, rotor arm and dizzy cap, they are your best bet, to start with!!!!!

Titch
Friday 15th April 2005, 22:16
Check all electrics, Plug leads, rotor arm and dizzy cap, they are your best bet, to start with!!!!!
Cheers Spesh> I was going to do that in the morning. It just seems odd that putting in new plugs made it run worse?

Wobbly Dave
Friday 15th April 2005, 23:05
Do you have any warning lights? Am assuming you put in BKR7EVX?

Titch
Friday 15th April 2005, 23:24
Do you have any warning lights? Am assuming you put in BKR7EVX?
No warning lights just runninng really badly. I have to assume its the leads (well I hope it is!)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 15th April 2005, 23:27
HT leads either work or they dont. There is no sort of. Replace the leads, check and replace the dissy and rotor as required (they are both v cheap so you might as well anyway). Don't get side tracked by fancy leads - coloured ones etc - not necessary. Standard HT leads are fine.

I would also look for split elbows/minor air leaks.

Titch
Friday 15th April 2005, 23:33
HT leads either work or they dont. There is no sort of. Replace the leads, check and replace the dissy and rotor as required (they are both v cheap so you might as well anyway). Don't get side tracked by fancy leads - coloured ones etc - not necessary. Standard HT leads are fine.

I would also look for split elbows/minor air leaks.

Cheers Dave. Will do this first thing tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Titch
Saturday 16th April 2005, 15:12
Nothing is simple!! Local dealer didn't have set of Ht leads for 99 T4 :pants: Neither did Halfords or the local tuning shop. Have had to order them so am off the road until Monday.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 17th April 2005, 02:36
Get well soon! (the car that is)

siamblue
Sunday 17th April 2005, 12:45
ECP or GSF would have had them for sure.

andi t5
Sunday 17th April 2005, 15:20
could be the leads as they age the resitance slowly increases so the first thing you notice is misfire under load replace them if at all suspect i know its hardly likely but as the car is runing so bad you aint got the leads wrong have you

Titch
Monday 18th April 2005, 21:13
could be the leads as they age the resitance slowly increases so the first thing you notice is misfire under load replace them if at all suspect i know its hardly likely but as the car is runing so bad you aint got the leads wrong have you

No (Believe me honest!) It's actually very difficult to get the leads wrong as there only two effectively as the other two plugs have individual ignition coils on top of them. the other two leads go int the two coils.

Anyway nothing is simple. Went and got leads and didn't think to check them. Got home, the old man and I go out to fit them and..... wrong b****y leads :slap: I suppose it's my own fualt for not checking at the shop but you would think they could get this right!
Anyway, hopefully all will be sorted tomorrow coz, although it was nice of my girlfriend to put me on her insurance, I don't know if I can cope with another day of a Corsa 1L without killing myself. :saythat:

fraz13
Monday 18th April 2005, 21:23
I don't know if I can cope with another day of a Corsa 1L without killing myself. :saythat:

Or killing it trying to get T4/5 performance hahahh :slap: :hilarious

Titch
Monday 18th April 2005, 22:01
Or killing it trying to get T4/5 performance hahahh :slap: :hilarious
Performance??? :lol: My mountain bike is quicker!

Titch
Friday 22nd April 2005, 23:53
All sorted now :) New plugs and leads have done the biz. Been for blast with my old man and she's going better than she's ever gone. Must get a strut brace to try and control the torque steer!!!