PDA

View Full Version : parking sensors

beemerboy
Wednesday 15th November 2006, 13:39
looking for some help, anyone fitted parking sensors to the phase 1 volvo estate i bought a kit thinking it would be easy but i don't know if there are cut outs in the bumper to accomodate the sensors, do i need to take the bumper off? any help would be great.

Pandamedic
Wednesday 15th November 2006, 15:05
I brought myself an number plate one and got halfords to fit it free. It's pretty good and works a treat. No worries about cutting in the bumper etc then. From what i've been told you'd need to take the rear bumper off to fit the sensors that you have. If you fancy that you can always try and get a refund on the one you got.

Azza
Wednesday 15th November 2006, 15:21
Where did you get the number plate one from ? Halfords themselves ?

Azza

Pandamedic
Wednesday 15th November 2006, 15:42
Yep... here the linky (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_19 6951_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__varient__categoryId_33928_ crumb_31265_parentcategoryrn_31265)

They said it was easy to fit, but as it had free fitting i got them to do it. only drilling is a small hole behind the number plate where the wires go through into the boot lid, then up the side to the hinge and into the car. Plus it was only £99

Azza
Wednesday 15th November 2006, 17:03
Interesting, and how does it perform ?

How long did it take them to setup, and was it easy for them ?

Seems like a good compromise to spending hundreds of pounds on a Volvo-own system...

Azza

Pandamedic
Thursday 16th November 2006, 10:03
I find it great. Really works for me as i was really crap at judging the reversing distance on my v70. Use to think i was close and when i got out the car there was like another 3-4 feet to go!

Took about an hour or just over to fit. Take the old number plate off, drill a hole in the boot lid in the middle, stick a gromit in there, parking sensor plate on, the wires go through the hole behind the plate, feed the wire through the boot lid, you'll need to pull the trim off abit...feed the wire to to the offside hindge and down the hinge with the other cable there into the offside rear light cluster. wire it up and it's all done. I threaded the buzzer on mine down to the B post just behind the driver seat.

Setting up is easy, comes with a small control panel that you can adjust the sensors too. I think i set mine to about 30cm before i get the continous beeps and then just practise of leave the car in reverse so you can hear the beeps and walk around the rear of the car so you know the sensor ranges etc

Azza
Thursday 16th November 2006, 10:58
Sounds good, is there any way you could get some close-up pics up on here or send them to me to show me what it looks like on your car...

I'm not that bad at parking, but i use a squash club all the time, and the underground parking is a) very very tight, and b) very poorly lit!

Thanks,

Azza

Pandamedic
Thursday 16th November 2006, 12:46
lol, no worries, i'll post some up tonight for you

Azza
Thursday 16th November 2006, 13:04
Thanks, that would be great...

Azza

bruceybonus
Friday 17th November 2006, 08:03
thers some on ebay, a little cheaper....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meta-SR2-Targa-Easy-Fit-Parking-Sensors_W0QQitemZ8069072532QQihZ019QQcategoryZ7533 0QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Azza
Friday 17th November 2006, 10:55
Odd, in that description it says "no holes to drill" but then how the hell are you going to feed the wires through ?!

A bit cheaper yeah, but i don't have the time to fit it myself, i wouldn't trust myself with a drill anyway, so i'd have to pay fitting costs..

Azza

Pandamedic
Friday 17th November 2006, 11:56
no LARGE holes to drill!

right i'm off to get some pictures for you as i didn't have time last night

Azza
Friday 17th November 2006, 12:00
OK thanks.

I didn't realise it actually was an entire numberplate mount... which makes the pictures even more essential :)

Azza

Pandamedic
Friday 17th November 2006, 13:29
Here we some photo's of it on my car

...bugger...photobucket is down and i can't upload to my site at the moment. What's you email address and i'll email you them

Pandamedic
Friday 17th November 2006, 13:30
Oh...here it is

http://www.pandamedic.co.uk/Pics/pictures01/Meta%20reversing%20sensor01.JPG

http://www.pandamedic.co.uk/Pics/pictures01/Meta%20reversing%20sensor02.jpg

http://www.pandamedic.co.uk/Pics/pictures01/Meta%20reversing%20sensor03.jpg

Azza
Friday 17th November 2006, 13:35
I've pm'ed you...

Thanks,

Azza

Pandamedic
Friday 17th November 2006, 13:39
all sorted you should be able to view them now

Azza
Friday 17th November 2006, 13:41
Aha, yes indeed..

Superb, doesn't look too out of place..

I'm wondering what it'll look like on mine as my numberplate area is a bit more "open"..

Thanks, ignore the pm ;)

Azza

Pandamedic
Friday 17th November 2006, 13:44
no worries. you can always go down, have a look, hold it to your car and if you dont like it walk away

Azza
Friday 17th November 2006, 13:44
True true..

That i shall do!

:)

Azza