PDA

View Full Version : ¼ mile formula link

Justin
Tuesday 14th November 2006, 21:59
Found this, a great read :)

http://www.stealth316.com/2-calc-hp-et-mph.htm

Storm-Troll
Tuesday 14th November 2006, 22:04
Very interesting, but mind Boggling, amazing how even back then, they had the tech to work it all out,,,, nowadays, they cant even build a car that wont fall apart if you sneeze on it,,,lol.

Justin, did you get my PM yesterday?. just wanted to check as I have been havin some probs gettin the forum to load for the past three days, so did not know if you got PM or not,,
Cheers,,,,
Troll...

thunderace
Tuesday 14th November 2006, 22:07
great read, even if some (ok a lot) went over my head :)

T5 Ben
Tuesday 14th November 2006, 22:08
MPH = 225 (hp/weight)1/3 and ET = 6.290 (weight/hp)1/3,

So basically if the car is perpendicular to the obtuse angle of the road,i had a leak 25 mins ago and my aunt is called jean then i should be faster than you!!!!!

Ben.

Storm-Troll
Tuesday 14th November 2006, 22:09
lol.. thats me out,,,,lol

arbee
Friday 17th November 2006, 11:30
Also have alook at this -

http://www.tomstickland.co.uk/astra/homework/acceleration_model/model1.htm

This guy used to belong to a forum I used and built this downloadable model for all manor of calculatons - its been proved to be extremely accurate at the Pod!

Ross9
Saturday 18th November 2006, 13:05
Yeah Tom's stuff was always very good, need to know a lot about your car though to use it properly, ie gear ratios, frontal area, change points, etc.

Then you have to adjust the shift times, and a few other variables to get it to match what you have already managed in the car, once you have the model specific to your car then you can take a guess at any changes etc. I used it before on the Rover and it was pretty accurate, though I've now lost all the data and can't be bothered to look it all up again, working out the frontal area is the most tedious bit as you normally can't find that online, if you can find Cd and CdA though, then you can work it out.

Ross

ragtop
Friday 6th February 2009, 08:47
Guys, try this link for the 0-60 times...

http://www.060calculator.com/

PaulZX
Tuesday 7th April 2009, 16:55
This works out pretty close to mark....

It was within 0.4 of a second of my actual time, which is explainable in driver errors/gear changes, I suppose...

nb for working out the cube root, use google... type "cube root of 0.23721" and press enter... VIOLA!

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 7th April 2009, 23:05
0.4 is hugely off - it takes a lot to remove a 10th of a second.

PaulZX
Thursday 9th April 2009, 23:12
0.4 is hugely off - it takes a lot to remove a 10th of a second.

yeah but the way I'm reading it, if I had a perfect run, with each gearchange spot on, I'd have soaked up that 0.4 of a second, thus making it pretty accurate... if you look at it like that, of course....

Ross9
Friday 19th June 2009, 18:01
sorry, just logged on to the forum for first time in a long time and searched for threads I'd posted in to get a grounding, I'm with Dave here, 0.4 is a ridiculous amount to be out either on a 1/4 mile or even worse a 0-60, tbh you could e-mail your spec, drivetrain and tyres and I'd probably get it just as close lol.

Ross