PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Faq

volvotuning
Saturday 11th November 2006, 20:25
Here's a quick guide if you are considering tuning your car, in order of value for money...

Stage 0

1. Replace ignition system
2. Fix all air leaks
3. Give the car a good service
4. Replace worn bushes, mounts etc.

Engine

1. To make your engine significantly more powerful = ECU Upgrade
2. To make it even more powerful = Turbo upgrade, exhaust upgrade, custom ECU upgrade.
3. For any more power, you will probably need engine work doing.

Brakes

1. To make your car stop much better = Performance Brake Pads
2. To make it stop even better = Larger discs and performance pads
3. For maximum braking capability = sort suspension and use good tyres

Handling

1. To make your car handle slightly better = Strut Brace
2. To really make your car handle loads better = Suspension Upgrade, and consider springs too
3. Don't forget to use good tyres

Adam.

Vikingxl
Saturday 11th November 2006, 20:34
Check bank balance first!

MIKESC70T5
Saturday 11th November 2006, 20:44

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MIKESC70T5
Saturday 11th November 2006, 20:46
Here's a quick guide if you are considering tuning your car, in order of value for money...

[Handling

2. To really make your car handle loads better = Suspension Upgrade, and consider springs too

Adam.

Adam i'm thinking of changing the suspension on mine but i've got the nivomat set up. Should i replace them with koni fsd or just new nivomat ones?

volvotuning
Saturday 11th November 2006, 20:50
Adam i'm thinking of changing the suspension on mine but i've got the nivomat set up. Should i replace them with koni fsd or just new nivomat ones?

If you want self leveling, then get new Nivomats. If not, fit Koni FSD all round for best handling.

Adam.

MIKESC70T5
Saturday 11th November 2006, 20:56
If you want self leveling, then get new Nivomats. If not, fit Koni FSD all round for best handling.

Adam.

I want to be comfortable too. Are the Konis going to give a much firmer ride?

Storm-Troll
Saturday 11th November 2006, 22:12

no no no no no.. Divorce first,, THEN check bank balance...lol

volvolised
Sunday 12th November 2006, 00:18
no no no no no.. Divorce first,, THEN check bank balance...lol

Why bother at all, it's bound to be overdrawn with the statement being entirely dedicated to the local shoe shop :troutslap

Storm-Troll
Sunday 12th November 2006, 00:26
lol,,, Oh I dont know,, when I got divorced,, there was no mention of shoes..lol... only the odd hand bag here and there

volvotuning
Sunday 12th November 2006, 18:29

No. They are auto-adjusting to the road and to your driving, and will give improved handling without sacrificing ride quality.

Don't confuse a wallowy ride with a firm but compliant ride.

Adam.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 12th November 2006, 18:33
I'd be happy to give you a ride in mine (she's got the eibach pro-kit and the FSD's) - Next time I am down in Pompeii (brother's in the RN) - we can hook up?

Paullyp
Monday 13th November 2006, 02:03

Stage 0

1. Replace ignition system
2. Fix all air leaks
3. Give the car a good service
4. Replace worn bushes, mounts etc.

Engine

1. To make your engine significantly more powerful = ECU Upgrade
2. To make it even more powerful = Turbo upgrade, exhaust upgrade, custom ECU upgrade.
3. For any more power, you will probably need engine work doing.

Brakes

1. To make your car stop much better = Performance Brake Pads
2. To make it stop even better = Larger discs and performance pads
3. For maximum braking capability = sort suspension and use good tyres

Handling

Adam.

Just a small suggestion, after a STAGE 0 Tune up, there is a next stage ,Call it STAGE -1....has no insurance nightmares and no great outlay.The secret to good performance is breathing, both in and out, go for a good induction kit, pipercross or my fav k&n, mate this up with a decent exhaust system (if you mod any further you will need this anyway), motorsport or mongoose. You may feel a small performance change but you won't be bothered as the induction noise makes up for it. Not many of us wish to pay the extra for insurance, most of us will never get the benefits of a fully modded motor so, fit a dump valve and a manual boost controller,and enjoy, with the money you save on ins, go for a suspension drop, trust me,Paullyp.:biggrin:

neevo
Monday 13th November 2006, 02:24
My insurance company don't care about any mods except for that fancy paintwork that changes colour depending on the angle you look at it :D

Paullyp
Monday 13th November 2006, 02:43
My insurance company don't care about any mods except for that fancy paintwork that changes colour depending on the angle you look at it :D
God forbid, UNTIL YOU CRASH, ins comps, dodgy people.P.:mischievo