PDA

View Full Version : Knackered Upper/Top Engine Mount

Okete
Saturday 11th November 2006, 13:31
Hi Peeps,

Ive got myself a problem today!

Last week I noticed that the Upper Engine Mount rubber bush on my V70 T5
(1999) was splitting, so I ordered a replacement. Just went to fit the new one only to discover that I have ordered the wrong part. This one is literally a millimeter or so smaller than the hole in the top engine bracket and therefore too loose. Naturally I had to cut the old bush to remove it and am therefore left without a useable bush. I can reassemble the old bush but it is in two pieces and therefore useless really.
Cant get the correct replacement until Monday now - main stealer closed an hour and a half ago!! ££££££!!!

Question is - How driveable is the car without a proper upper engine mount? Will it be Okay to drive at all?

All thoughts will be appreciated!!

Cheers,
John.

Tomcat
Saturday 11th November 2006, 13:42
Personaly I wouldn't like to try it, I've been in a car with a knackered top mount and that makes plenty of clunks and bangs, so god knows how bad it'll be without it. Not only that but it'll put more stress on the rest of the engine mountings as well...

Okete
Saturday 11th November 2006, 13:54
Thanks tomcat - I'm sure you are right.
I don't want to drive it as it is but I need to go to work tomorrow and on Monday, before I can get to fit a pukka replacement on Monday evening!
Looks like I shall have to scrounge a lift or scrape the rust off my pushbike!!
Was planning on joining the East Anglia meet tomorrow but now accept that that is out of the question!!
Cheers,
John.

Tomcat
Saturday 11th November 2006, 14:04
Just a thought but if the new one is only slightly too small can you not pad it out with something to make do til you can replace it?. Try wrapping insulation tape around it until its a tight fit, at least that way you'll be able to get around.

Okete
Saturday 11th November 2006, 14:15
Yeah, I did think about that and it remains a 'temporary' fix option if push comes to shove.
I have got a few rolls of insulating tape lying around in the shed - wont really be able to get a tight fit though but it will certainly be better than nothing!!

Cheers,
John.

Okete
Saturday 11th November 2006, 20:10
Well, I am now sorted until I can get this problem resolved properly!!

A forum member, Dooby, spotted my request for help and has just spent a good couple of hours and petrol money, coming out to help me solve this problem for the time being.
We managed (well, Pete managed!) to come up with a very professional looking bodge involving beer cans and diet coke cans to create a perfect fitting Top Mount Bush from one that was about 2-3 mm too small. It fits as tight as a bad girls dream and has survived a test drive.
Good result of cooperation between two forums, several brains, one mechanical novice and one good samaritan!!

Thanks to all who helped - this is a good place to be!!

Cheers,
John.