PDA

View Full Version : What Oil?

Bigpunter
Friday 10th November 2006, 20:14
Hello all,

OK, so for a little while now my S40 GDi has been sounding rather 'tappety'. It's had about 2 oil changes over the last 5 months one using Miller 10W-40 and the second using Mobil1 5W-40 oil.

The problem is more apparent when the lump is cold and generally goes away in the first few moments but I will admit it does sometimes do it briefly when its warmed up too.

I've googled this for ages and the engine has Hydraulic tappets which are basically the main reason and a few peeps are suggesting a thicker oil 20W-60 for these but I was wondering if you guys could shed any light on it.

Needless to say its quite annoying at times (more so when you know people can hear the car sound like that) so if I can't eliminate it I want to at least reduce it a bit. I bought some 'Slick50' but haven't put it in as I've now read up on it and found out that its not very good for hydraulic tappets :troutslap .

Any help on this subject would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Martin

twotrees
Friday 10th November 2006, 20:35
[QUOTE=Bigpunter]Hello all,

OK, so for a little while now my S40 GDi has been sounding rather 'tappety'. It's had about 2 oil changes over the last 5 months one using Miller 10W-40 and the second using Mobil1 5W-40 oil.

The problem is more apparent when the lump is cold and generally goes away in the first few moments but I will admit it does sometimes do it briefly when its warmed up too.

I've googled this for ages and the engine has Hydraulic tappets which are basically the main reason and a few peeps are suggesting a thicker oil 20W-60 for these but I was wondering if you guys could shed any light on it.

Needless to say its quite annoying at times (more so when you know people can hear the car sound like that) so if I can't eliminate it I want to at least reduce it a bit. I bought some 'Slick50' but haven't put it in as I've now read up on it and found out that its not very good for hydraulic tappets :troutslap .

Cheers,

hi have a look at www.prolong.com this is the best enginetreatment you will get and a warranty

Martin[/QUOTE

twotrees
Friday 10th November 2006, 21:35
[QUOTE=Bigpunter]Hello all,

Cheers,

hi have a look at www.prolong.com this is the best enginetreatment you will get and a warranty

Martin[/QUOTE

A: No, the facts are that the FTC thoroughly investigated all of the tests and evidence that supported Prolong’s product claims in much the same manner as going through a very detailed IRS audit.
Prolong has never been sued or taken to court by the FTC.
Prolong has never been fined by the FTC.
Prolong did not make false product claims.
No employees of Prolong were found to have violated any FTC regulations.
We recognize how important the FTC's role is in protecting consumers and understand reasons for the extensive examination of all products in the engine treatment category. The end result of this activity can also strengthen the credibility of a company and product as well as provide consumer knowledge. In order to satisfy the concerns of the FTC staff after they had expended valuable time investigating all of Prolong’s product claims, Prolong entered into an agreement with the FTC in which Prolong promised that it would rely on “adequate scientific evidence” to substantiate its' product claims. No fines were assessed. No suits were filed by the FTC against Prolong. The agreement was entered into in early 1999. Five years have passed with complete cooperation.

Prolong Super Lubricants distinguished its conduct and had a much different experience than many of our competitors. The following products had claims that the FTC complained were false or unsubstantiated. The product owners were sued by the FTC and eventually entered into settlement agreements with the FTC and agreed to pay the following fines:

Date Product Name How the Case was resolved
1978 STP Oil Treatment Sued by FTC, Settled, Fined $500,000
1995 STP Engine Treatment Sued by FTC, Settled, Fined $888,000
1997 Slick 50 Engine Treatment Sued by FTC, Settled, Fined $10,000,000
1999 Motor Up Engine Treatment Sued by FTC, Settled, Fined $100,000
2000 DuraLube Sued by FTC, Settled, Fined $2,000,000
2003 zMax Power System Sued by FTC, Settled, Fined $1,000,000

Bigpunter
Saturday 11th November 2006, 12:22
Hi twotrees, many thanks for the quick reply!

So your saying I should stick some of ProLubes additive into the engine oil, I had a look on the website but its all in the US can you buy it over here because I haven't seen this stuff (just the ones one your thread that were sued LOL).

I would still like to try a thicker oil as well though, can anyone give me some pointers as the the grade that would be suitable. I had a look on Demon Tweeks and they have: Mobil1 15W-50, Millers CFS10W-60 and Motul 300v Competition 15W-50 or 300v Le Mans 15W-60. Which would be the best pick or is there something else that would be a good choice - currently I'm using 5W-40 Mobil1.

Your help is much appreciated. Regards,

Martin

twotrees
Saturday 11th November 2006, 18:48
Hi twotrees, many thanks for the quick reply!

So your saying I should stick some of ProLubes additive into the engine oil, I had a look on the website but its all in the US can you buy it over here because I haven't seen this stuff (just the ones one your thread that were sued LOL).

I would still like to try a thicker oil as well though, can anyone give me some pointers as the the grade that would be suitable. I had a look on Demon Tweeks and they have: Mobil1 15W-50, Millers CFS10W-60 and Motul 300v Competition 15W-50 or 300v Le Mans 15W-60. Which would be the best pick or is there something else that would be a good choice - currently I'm using 5W-40 Mobil1.

Your help is much appreciated. Regards,

Martin

HI phone this for you nearest 01628828473 is youer uk distributor, i am 10 milies from glasgow airport if that helps