PDA

View Full Version : Vibration noise @ 5500 RPM

glock19
Thursday 14th April 2005, 17:54
Some sort of metal clanging noise from the engine bay at full boost (apology if exact pressure is not available but in-dash gauge is over the white patch) and correlates with engine vibration. RICA 280 on board.

Anyone with some experience and comments ? Even with this clanging noise (not too loud), performance is still good. Power delivery throughout the power band is very progressive. If I don't floor it, then the noise is much less or none at all. Air-cond compressor is off during this period. All metal pipings (brake, fuel lines) have been isolated. Heat shield is fully tightened.

Do you think it's the limited capacity of the air-intake and the channels which are giving some resonance ?

SaffronC70
Thursday 14th April 2005, 17:57
Mine does the same with the 19T - I've asked everyone, but no one knows what it is !

lance
Thursday 14th April 2005, 18:07
Ive had intermitten knocking that seems to be conected to the aircon or heater but thats not noticable that high up in the rev range,
Glock I know you have the 280 upgrade but are you using a desent grade fuel such as optimax or esso super, that might help if its got cheap or off fuel in it.

siamblue
Thursday 14th April 2005, 21:57
He's in Malaysia,If its anything like Thailand top fuel is hard to come by.

glock19
Friday 15th April 2005, 00:21
We have the 95 RON and 97 RON here but most of the time, I'm using the 95 RON. I'll try the 97 RON today to confirm. Some say SHELL is behind MOBIL/ESSO in terms of power effect, so I'll that's another plan in the books.

I wonder if the bearings at the alternator, crankshaft, serpentine belt tensioner, power steering, and all the works, can contribute to this noise as this is related to engine speed. Any company doing ENGINE BALANCING there ? I know there's one in Australia which makes a blueprint of the engine, takes it apart and refine all the mechanical parts. Cost about a thousand pounds excluding shipping.

glock19
Monday 18th April 2005, 00:40
After changing the fuel to RON97, the car was more docile (butt dyno) and rev meter doesn't go pass 5200. The autobox upshifts even with full throttle down. My logic is as follows but please give your version.

RON95 - Lower octance, gives the car an indication that power output is low, thus the car is screaming or trying to make more power/torque. This will cause the car to go beyond the 5500 mark to achieve the defined power/torque set by the ECU.

RON97 - On the other hand delivers the pre-determine engine output figures and thus able to cut off or upshifts earlier. I did not timed both launches (or mutiple ones) and if these two theories is wrong, then the petrol I got is crap. Maybe it's time I change the petrol brand. I'm using SHELL at the moment and it's not often recommended by T5 users here.

Oh, the vibration is gone as the engine speed is below the mentione 5500. Is it a good thing ?

kristoff007
Monday 18th April 2005, 04:51
hey glock19 in particular

do you know the name or have contact details of the engine balancer in Australia?

thanks

:B_steerin

glock19
Monday 18th April 2005, 06:56
Kris, you can try the following link : PAVTEK (http://www.pavtek.com.au/shop_tour.html)

They have the PRO-BAL (mid of the page) for the crankshaft to spin at 10k revs.

Others : ENGINE RE-COND (http://www.engine-reconditioning.com.au/)