PDA

View Full Version : Anyone come across this before??

IanB2
Monday 6th November 2006, 19:02
Hi All,

New pride and joy (silver T5 estate, manual) went off this morning for a good check and very thorough service, one problem was a bit of a thump when the car started - thought this was probably the top mount bushes so not too worried.

Alas no - problem is with rear lower engine mount that bolts onto gearbox casing, one bolt of three is missing which isn't so bad. Real problem is remaining two are sheared off and remaining bolt studs are stuck in gearbox casing. Obviously a pain in the a--e to fix as gearbox has to come off to get access to remove broken studs, bigger concern is why this should have happened.

So after all that - has anyone else experienced thia and do they have a known reason? The only thing I can think is the gearbox has been off previously and the re-installation bodged. The state of the sheared ends of the bolts would suggest these have been broken for some time. Any thoughts would be gratefully received as this is leaving me a little wary of spending a load of money to get this fixed if it is the result of something rather more sinister. :frown:

The rest of the car is fortunately fine.

Tomcat
Monday 6th November 2006, 21:26
I have exactly the same on my car, however when I tried to remove one of the brokem studs with a pair of mole grips I managed to brake a chunk of the casing off the gearbox!!( I never knew I was that strong!!!). I'm not really sure what the answer is to this but be carefull, I can't do anything about mine now other than replace the gearbox!.

IanB2
Monday 6th November 2006, 21:58
Mmmm............ My mechanic is going to try drilling them out so hoping this may be ok. May be worth checking for cracks though, thanks for the info. I'll post how we get on (wont be happening for a week or so), fortunately mechanic is an old fashioned engineer who knows how to do these things.

Ta
Ian

BlackBeast
Monday 6th November 2006, 22:25
Other old mounts can attribute to the failing of other mounts, so if for example the top engine mount has been torn for a long time, then the other mounts have to take the brunt of the engine movement. Once that box mount for example is knackered even if the top engine mount has now been replaced there will still be movement, and what parts of the mount are trying their best to hold everything in place!?! The bolts :)