PDA

View Full Version : Tow bar

blondy
Saturday 4th November 2006, 11:52
hi all, i am looking to fit a tow bar on my 95' 855 and was wondering if there is any wiring already in the boot area to recieve the wires for the tow bar socket. or will i have to join the wires into the rear lights with scotchlocks like in the old days.
any help would be appreciated.
Paul

thunderace
Saturday 4th November 2006, 14:13
just had a look at mine and it is just like in days of old.... but it is german :)

BlackBeast
Saturday 4th November 2006, 16:49
I had to use scotch locks for my '97 V70.

chrjen
Saturday 4th November 2006, 17:39
Everything is ready. I put it on my car 2 months ago, and it took about 2½ hour - and I did it in my driveway. BUT it has to be the original towbar from volvo, cause then you don't have to cut in the rear bumper. All the cables are already there, on the left side of your trunk, clipsed to the bulk which looks like a main frame. I did it alone, and almost **** in my pants, so get a mate to help you lift it - and you could probably do it total in 1½ hour. hope this is any help.
Kindest Chris

BlackBeast
Saturday 4th November 2006, 17:45
Ive got a witter towbar and didnt have to cut the rear bumper!

chrjen
Sunday 5th November 2006, 11:25
that depends on whether it is a 850 or a V70 as yours. On the 850 as Blondy's the best is the original tow bar.

blondy
Tuesday 7th November 2006, 20:09
thanks for replies, i have made and fitted a towbar today and have bought a prewired 7 pin socket. so i was wondering whether to join it into the wiring that goes to the rear lights or if there is a specific towbar connector on the 95 estate as chrjen told me in his post.

Paul

Carl
Tuesday 7th November 2006, 21:16
Out of interest did my V70 P2 a month ago using Volvo kit. The wiring loom comes with connectors and gromets plugs straight into the connector located at the back of the spare wheel compartment. Volvo suggest that it needs programing - this is to turn off the fog light to stop it reflecting when towing - cant remember ever towing in fog!

blondy
Tuesday 7th November 2006, 22:34
I have looked at the wiring diagram for my car but cant see any extra connectors for the towbar, but i did notice a bulb for the towbar in the instrument cluster on the diagram which i think means, it must get a signal from somewhere to tell the dash light to show when you have a trailor/ caravan plugged in. Unless i am wrong (more than likely).
Paul

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 8th November 2006, 01:51
Sorry if i'm late... On the left hand side under the boot floor I had a plug that the Volvo original wiring just plugs right into....easy peasy.!!!

Luigi
Wednesday 8th November 2006, 05:44
I did not notice any connector on my 96 854, so just used scotchlocks- funny thing is that when i have the caravan on the back & indicate left or right i get a 2nd indicator light on the dash to let me know everything is connected.
I have no idea how the clever old vlovo does this but hope this helps.

blondy
Wednesday 8th November 2006, 09:30
thanks again, what year model car is yours JUDGENINJA? As for the dash light i've no idea but someone will know and explain.
Paul

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 8th November 2006, 20:47
Did I say left.... I ment right hand side... I can't think that Volvo would do much different for a Saloon car...
Mines an 850 T-5s estate (basic model).....

The indicator is just to tell you that the trailer indicators are working.. just incase you hadn't noticed the trailer fall off as you were driving down the road at speed....

Let me know if you need pics...

blondy
Wednesday 8th November 2006, 20:56
the connector, which floorboard is it under? is it the rear most or the one near the rear seats, and is it a case of just lifting it or do i have to remove the bolts that hold it down to the metal work. thanks.
Paul

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 9th November 2006, 00:48
Here You Go...

blondy
Thursday 9th November 2006, 22:37
Thanks for the foto, mine has no connector there so i have just cut into the loom and soldered the towbar wires into it. That'l do.

Paul

JUDGENINJA
Friday 10th November 2006, 01:28
Maybe mine came fitted brand new... anyone got any ideas..?