PDA

View Full Version : 400 BHP RICA stage 3

misterpeck
Thursday 14th April 2005, 09:23
Just got e-mail from VT about above available for S60 and V70 T5 2001>
:yikes:

That's got to be an animal. Go to VT site for more info.

Mrsmopp
Thursday 14th April 2005, 09:26
Gutted its not for the 850 :slap: :frown:

x

misterpeck
Thursday 14th April 2005, 09:30
I know what you mean. I have been on to Hamish via e-mail about geting some work done to the yellow peril. It will def have to be done in stages. My flat roof needs urgent attention at the mo. :grumpy:

Mrsmopp
Thursday 14th April 2005, 09:36
Some work?? ie??? Come on tell all! ;)

x

misterpeck
Thursday 14th April 2005, 09:41
now that would be telling :shy:

mulletboy2
Thursday 14th April 2005, 09:52
misterpeck - have you had your RICA done yet? Sorry if you've already announced it, I can't be bothered to click "search" ;)

I think I should go and signup to the VT newsletter... anyone fancy forwarding the recent one to me please? mulletboy2 [at] yahoo.com . Much obliged :D

Ian C70T5
Thursday 14th April 2005, 10:16
I am guessin the 2001 T5 models was when they introduced the 2.5 T5 in the S60 and the V70, or am i wrong..

Surely there is something that can be done to the non-ME7 1998 C70 to get 400bhp..

I WANT..

I also assume they change to some kind of hybrid 19T with different internals, larger system exhaust and a larger different intercooler, possibly a different inlet manifold for airflow

After_Shock
Thursday 14th April 2005, 10:25
I thought the S60 T5's still used the 2.3litre engine and the 2.5's are the low pressure turbo models?

Their must be some change in the rods on the engine on that one as a 1998 car can easily be mapped for that power but the engine would fall to bits mainly due to the rods. Unless they have found a new way of getting lots more power without increasing the boost??

misterpeck
Thursday 14th April 2005, 10:42
misterpeck - have you had your RICA done yet? Sorry if you've already announced it

No not yet will be looking to get done in June mate.
Having to fork out for a new flat roof at the moment so money a bit tight, want other thing done but will have to do in stages.

Andy
Thursday 14th April 2005, 10:59
£4900 Wowsa!!!!!

Mrsmopp
Thursday 14th April 2005, 11:01
£4900 Wowsa!!!!!

What you on about LOL???? :cuckoo:

x

misterpeck
Thursday 14th April 2005, 11:21

x

He is on about the priceof the upgrade Moppy.

Includes new turbo and fitting kit
custom full s/s exhaust
custom air intake
custom RICA ECU software
rollingroad time
and the all important Lobour

50% deposite on placement of order

:yikes:

Ian C70T5
Thursday 14th April 2005, 11:22
PMSL thats same price you can pic up some S60 T5's

steveT5
Thursday 14th April 2005, 11:23
You really have to be in the money is no object bracket for something like this !!
Rules me out then !!! I couldnt afford a T5 new enough to put it on !!
I bet Guy (V8 Guitar) is making enquiries though !
Just remember mate you need that new central heating system from me more than 400BHP for the car.

Murphy
Thursday 14th April 2005, 11:47
I think 400bhp needs to be approached with care. I assume you have to sign a disclaimer that when you doe in the car your family will not sue. I think if anyone is thinking about this, they price up the cost of coilovers and a large brake conversion. In addition you need to book the lotus engineers for a day to make a custom set up.

Andy
Thursday 14th April 2005, 12:03

x

tut tut, didn't you read the advert mop head :P hehehe

Mrsmopp
Thursday 14th April 2005, 12:07
tut tut, didn't you read the advert mop head :P hehehe

Nope :rolling_e (It didn't say "available for 850" so i stopped reading lol)

x

Andy
Thursday 14th April 2005, 12:09
Nope :rolling_e (It didn't say "available for 850" so i stopped reading lol)

x

hehe, i was the same, then decided to be inquisitive and then shat me pants when i saw £4900 :smirk:

After_Shock
Thursday 14th April 2005, 12:24
Got to say I like the idea but the only Volvo I would considering doing it to would be the S60/V70 R due to the AWD system.

One of the reasons I never used my C70 in the winter months was because it was undriveable in even just damp conditions, would happily start spinning the front wheels at 60mph in 5th just trying to overtake stuff!

lance
Thursday 14th April 2005, 12:41
Lottery win, one 850 R , one low miles written of V70 P2, A lot of wirring 5k trip to VT and hey presto a 400bhp 850R or T5.

Murphy
Thursday 14th April 2005, 12:49
Got to say I like the idea but the only Volvo I would considering doing it to would be the S60/V70 R due to the AWD system.

One of the reasons I never used my C70 in the winter months was because it was undriveable in even just damp conditions, would happily start spinning the front wheels at 60mph in 5th just trying to overtake stuff!

I think you needed an LSD and a decent set up on your coilovers. I know adams old car has the same mods as yours did i think, and that is very drivable indeed, supprisingly so. But i see your point, and as i said it is border line dangerous !

After_Shock
Thursday 14th April 2005, 13:21
I didnt have an LSD on mine or even TC as it was a bog standard C70 T5 so it made things interesting! I did have coilovers on it and it was surprisingly difficult to loose traction in the dry, however theirs no other word for it in the wet than Dangerous so I wouldnt like to guess what something with 50bhp more and likely to be running more boost would be like in the wet!

If you are sensible enough at driving and learn how to drive it in the dry its a very quick set up but someone else just jumping in the car would have had it in a field or wall within minutes.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 14th April 2005, 14:08
I was talking to Adam yesterday, and he said that the boost isnt that high and when questioned about the FWD issues he seemed to think it wouldn't be a problem. AWD was not needed . I dunno what the quoted torque figures are - which is what will make your wheels spin. It's gonna be down to the map isn't it? He also said that driveability would not be sacrified. It must be reasonably accurate else it'll never sell?

It's gonna be a very select group that can put that amount of ££ on the table.

steveT5
Thursday 14th April 2005, 14:40
I was talking to Adam yesterday, and he said that the boost isnt that high and when questioned about the FWD issues he seemed to think it wouldn't be a problem. AWD was not needed . I dunno what the quoted torque figures are - which is what will make your wheels spin. It's gonna be down to the map isn't it? He also said that driveability would not be sacrified. It must be reasonably accurate else it'll never sell?

It's gonna be a very select group that can put that amount of ££ on the table.
I can't see it selling at all Dave.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 14th April 2005, 14:57
Only time will tell.

The stage 2 is about 4 times the price of stage 1, for about 35bhp. Stage 3 is about twice stage 2.

Generally - Tuning is always more expensive the higher you want to go - and the leaps in the gains in horsepower generally get smaller.

If I had the money (and the right car) I would seriously consider it.

Murphy
Thursday 14th April 2005, 15:14
Only time will tell.

The stage 2 is about 4 times the price of stage 1, for about 35bhp. Stage 3 is about twice stage 2.

Generally - Tuning is always more expensive the higher you want to go - and the leaps in the gains in horsepower generally get smaller.

If I had the money (and the right car) I would seriously consider it.

Choosing the car is very important though if you propose to introduce this kind of power. There are a few 850s with not quite 400 hp but i think 390hp. I watched a video of a 390hp 850 doing the nurburgring. Was good to watch, but took real skill and good brakes. You could tell the suspension was absolutly 100% rock solid - no movement at all, because when he planted it coming out of a bend it would begin to bounce - lol.

It set a very quick time - but then i watch a vid of a Porsche 996 GT3 doing the same bit of course, and the flaws in a very powerful volvo became apparent.

I have no doubt there will be some takers for tunning the post 2001 model series, however i think just the fact you can get 400bhp might well sell lots of 300/330hp upgrades !?!?!

After_Shock
Thursday 14th April 2005, 15:30
Im sure their will be some takers for it, however it is seriously going to compromise the driveability of the car, o.k on a motorway in 4th/5th gear nowt will keep up but 1st, 2nd and 3rd will cause problems regardless of the suspension, unless the map is seriously limited lower down, which then begs the question whats the point if its only going to be quicker than the stage 3 in the top gears as you will be facing jail everytime you want to use its potential in this country!

Murphy
Thursday 14th April 2005, 15:43
Im sure their will be some takers for it, however it is seriously going to compromise the driveability of the car, o.k on a motorway in 4th/5th gear nowt will keep up but 1st, 2nd and 3rd will cause problems regardless of the suspension, unless the map is seriously limited lower down, which then begs the question whats the point if its only going to be quicker than the stage 3 in the top gears as you will be facing jail everytime you want to use its potential in this country!

Actually that isn't a bad idea at all that. If you could map each gear for maximum drivability !?!?

You could have a power and torque curve going level from the bottom left to top right in 1st, then make it flatter and flatter the more you go up the box, resulting in 4 having a flat level of torque from 3k to redline and 5th having maximum power and torque from 4500-6000 rpm.

Or something like that. It would be interesting indeed ! Is it feasable though ?

After_Shock
Thursday 14th April 2005, 15:52
I thought some cars ran like that anyway where each gear was different especially those lower down, obviously the Volvo's are limited in 1st anyway.

But as with any car especially a front wheel drive car their is limits and 400 is well past that limit, its a tribute to Volvo's engineering that the cars can handle anywhere near that through the Front wheels but I would say 400bhp is more a bar room bragging right than a sensible move!

spesh
Thursday 14th April 2005, 16:39
Guess that price doesn't inclued a clutch??????????
You can get that power out of a 850 no problems, nice set of strengthn'd pistons and rods 19T way to go!!!!
Just seen the torque figurers 450NM, my car was 426NM just with the RICA software with a standard 15G turbo, now I have a 19T and other bits and bobs can't be far off that!!! Thought it would be more than that in my opinion

After_Shock
Thursday 14th April 2005, 16:56
I think the torque is limited on it just to make the upgrade driveable!

As spesh says all that needs uprating is the pistons and rods as those are the limiting factor in the engines, they must have altered them in the years of cars this upgrade is available for.

V8guitar
Thursday 14th April 2005, 19:50
You really have to be in the money is no object bracket for something like this !!
Rules me out then !!! I couldnt afford a T5 new enough to put it on !!
I bet Guy (V8 Guitar) is making enquiries though !
Just remember mate you need that new central heating system from me more than 400BHP for the car.

Well I might just have to take a look at this...Adam I shall be ringing you...

£4900 is alot of wedge though.....£2000 would be more realistic but I don't know what is involved. I would be concerned ( like the rest of you ) about the parts of the car i.e. gearbox, brakes etc.

Adam/Hamish - as you have a captive audience here, perhaps you could post more details and group discount etc!!

But 400 BHP!!! That would be cool, perhap it would mean I could keep up with you guys on the strip!!

Now, I think you should all club some money together to put towards my upgrade so I can give you some feedback...a sort of a group test!! :B_thumb: I would be happy to make that sacrifice in the interest of research!!

Who needs to keep warm, the summers coming...and I hope your quote is cheaper than that!!

misterpeck
Friday 15th April 2005, 11:52
I am very surprised that neither Adam or Hamish has posted a comment or 2 on the subject. Like V8 said they have a very captive audience. :confused:

volvotuning
Friday 15th April 2005, 15:55
Contrary to popular belief, we don't spend all the working day on the forum!!! ;)

What in particular would you like to know?

Adam.

spesh
Friday 15th April 2005, 18:30
Can this sytem be used on C70's post 2001?

taha22464
Friday 15th April 2005, 20:14
what does a 280 rica cost? jel.
________
Mature Webcam (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/mature-women/)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 15th April 2005, 22:51
Send 'em an email.

volvotuning
Saturday 16th April 2005, 11:09
Can this sytem be used on C70's post 2001?

Yes!

Adam.

volvotuning
Saturday 16th April 2005, 11:10
what does a 280 rica cost? jel.

£290 + VAT

Adam.

spesh
Saturday 16th April 2005, 17:02
Not that i'm thinking of goin for more power just yet, but as I have C70 2001 rods in my car, would I be able to push a bit closer to 400bhp????
Just wondering that all!

volvotuning
Saturday 16th April 2005, 18:40
Not that i'm thinking of goin for more power just yet, but as I have C70 2001 rods in my car, would I be able to push a bit closer to 400bhp????
Just wondering that all!

I doubt it. I think 340-350 bhp is probably the max.

Adam.

volvotuning
Saturday 16th April 2005, 18:44
£4900 is alot of wedge though.....£2000 would be more realistic but I don't know what is involved. I would be concerned ( like the rest of you ) about the parts of the car i.e. gearbox, brakes etc.

Adam/Hamish - as you have a captive audience here, perhaps you could post more details and group discount etc!!

There is no group discount available on this upgrade..

Adam.

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 09:27
Is this the Map that Hamish is running on his monster??

x

MattV70
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 13:02
Hamish took me for a run out in his car on saturday. I think he said that he's got a map of 330 hp in at the mo, but once the Dyno's ready he's gonna have a play with the 400hp stage 3!

It'll be the quickest brick in the land by far soon!!!

After_Shock
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 15:06
What car has Hamish actually got?

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 15:10
P2 V70!

x

Murphy
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 15:11
The idea of 400hp is great, but make note of VT's other products, depending on what you want out of a car power is not always the answer to going 'fast'.

I think Volvo is let down by its handling and brakes, so if i were to do it all again with a newer model i would start with a high quality replacement for handling and brakes then move on to the power upgrades !! ;)

volvotuning
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 15:14
Is this the Map that Hamish is running on his monster??

x

Nope, just a "normal" RICA map.

Adam.

V8guitar
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 16:41
Contrary to popular belief, we don't spend all the working day on the forum!!! ;)

What in particular would you like to know?

Adam.

I think its disgraceful that you have other things to do besides log on ( Joke, obviously!! ).

3 Specific questions then ( posting this cos I think others maybe interested ):

1) What about the other mechanicals ? Specifically gearbox ? How sure are you that there will be minimal degradation in life of these i.e. boosting up to 400BHP is pointless if I have to replace my gearbox every 10,000 miles..I'm sure you've checked all this out

2) Any possability of offering just some of these components e.g. just turbo upgrade without exhaust changes. Would this work or would the old system just strangle the performance ( suspect I'm answering my own question here ).

3) Any reasons you have not covered a NOS option ? Any open views on this ??? Madness seems to have moderate success with NOS but the old concerns about engine and component life creep in - why is this upgrade different/safer ??

volvotuning
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 16:49
I think its disgraceful that you have other things to do besides log on ( Joke, obviously!! ).

3 Specific questions then ( posting this cos I think others maybe interested ):

1) What about the other mechanicals ? Specifically gearbox ? How sure are you that there will be minimal degradation in life of these i.e. boosting up to 400BHP is pointless if I have to replace my gearbox every 10,000 miles..I'm sure you've checked all this out

2) Any possability of offering just some of these components e.g. just turbo upgrade without exhaust changes. Would this work or would the old system just strangle the performance ( suspect I'm answering my own question here ).

3) Any reasons you have not covered a NOS option ? Any open views on this ??? Madness seems to have moderate success with NOS but the old concerns about engine and component life creep in - why is this upgrade different/safer ??

1. Gearbox is fine. Possibly the clutch may need replacing sooner depending on how hard you drive it and how often you drive it that hard.

2. No. It's only available as the complete package. Everything is specially made for the job, exclusively for VT.

3. NOS is cheating - simple as that! And what happens when your NOS bottle runs out and you want to beat Mr Nova? And where are you going to keep your NOS bottle? By the way, Madness blew his engine up on NOS, but I suppose you can call that moderate success.

Adam.

MattV70
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 17:01
The idea of 400hp is great, but make note of VT's other products, depending on what you want out of a car power is not always the answer to going 'fast'.

I think Volvo is let down by its handling and brakes, so if i were to do it all again with a newer model i would start with a high quality replacement for handling and brakes then move on to the power upgrades !! ;)

I agree with you Murphy. Hamish was showing me the new suspension setup that he has on the car, and think he's uprated the brakes aswell. I'm thinking of sorting the suspension and probably the brakes, before i bother to get the Rica on mine!

There's no point on having loads of power, if the first thing you do is loose control and wrap your pride and joy around a tree! :bricks:

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 17:07
I must be doing something seriously wrong then.........I get on absolutely fine with my brakes but for some reason everyone else doesn't seem to be able to drive with stock brakes! :troutslap

x

pyrotechnictigger
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 17:27
Never had trouble with my brakes either :snail:

jp850R
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 17:41
As far as i no my brick is standard and the brakes are always fading on me!!

MattV70
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 18:04
The stock ones on my P2 V70 aren't too clever, but then again the disc aren't in the best shape in the world. Replacing them for std units may improve them, but it's probably best to uprate them while i'm at it!

spesh
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 23:53
It'll be the quickest brick in the land by far soon!!!

We will see about that!!!!!!!!! :uglyhamme

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 01:27
My brakes are fine - super never fade and always provide great stopping power.

In my experience the stock brakes do fade eventually.

I am running plain 280mm Brembo disks and Ferodo DS Performance pads (Middle spec of the 3 DS pads Ferodo make). With tired shocks braking will be less efficient, simple as. The choice of replacement shocks is a very personal thing. I am very pleased with the monroe's. Bilstein or Koni's all have different characteristic.

Then it is down to whether you take the fun bit first - i.e. the remap and do the other bits later. In my case I split it - brakes, remap and then shocks.

Back to the matter at hand. I have talked to Hamish at great length about the 400. The newer chassis & engines etc are more than capable of delivering the power - I think that the 400 promises to be a very exciting upgrade.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 08:55
My brakes are fine - super never fade and always provide great stopping power.

In my experience the stock brakes do fade eventually.

What experience of stock brakes?? You have driven my car - did my brakes fade? Steve is on stock brakes - he doesn't get fade!!

I must just be a better driver than all you lot then if I can drive on stock brakes without wrapping it round a tree ROTFLMSO :haha:

x

lance
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 10:03
What experience of stock brakes?? You have driven my car - did my brakes fade? Steve is on stock brakes - he doesn't get fade!!

I must just be a better driver than all you lot then if I can drive on stock brakes without wrapping it round a tree ROTFLMSO :haha:

x
Daves car being an Auto will use the brakes more than yours therefore more wear and more chance of fade under heavy driving especially with an auto.
If you slam on the breaks from 100 mph-0mph several times in a row , im sure you will surfer some fade eventually, even with upgraded brakes.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 10:13
If you slam on the breaks from 100 mph-0mph several times in a row , im sure you will surfer some fade eventually, even with upgraded brakes.

Does anyone actually do that regularly then??? LOL

Its common sense that the auto's will use the brakes more oftem than the manual (as a general rule) but thats not what my point was :tongue:

x

Murphy
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 10:28
Does anyone actually do that regularly then??? LOL

Its common sense that the auto's will use the brakes more oftem than the manual (as a general rule) but thats not what my point was :tongue:

x

The brakes on Volvo's are crap though, and i am sure yours work very well and do everything that you want them to achieve. However they do generate a lot of heat in a short space of time and don't knock the speed off quick enough. When driving tristans car the other day it didn't take long to get that spongy feel into the pedal and when you are really giving the car a bashing they aren't good enough. You can make much better progress if you had a better brake and suspension set up.

The problem with my Skoda is the brakes are too good for the suspension and starts pitching all over the place at high speed.......

it is finding that balance that is important IMHO, and also what you (general) feel happy with.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 10:33
"and don't knock the speed off quick enough" Quick enough for what?

You shouldn't be driving on public roads like a complete hoon which requires the use of heavy duty brakes its that simple. If you brake with plenty of time and know your car well then you shouldn't have a problem driving on stock brakes.

Things like that AP kit are designed with track/race cars in mind - we are neither of those things!

x

lance
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 10:46
Again Andy your Volvo was auto so you do notice the brakes more as you use them more.

Mrs M , on the mo/autobaghn on a friday night/bankholiday in congested traffic everyones in a hurry 100-0/20mph can accur a classic time when you can eventually feel fade, mindyou I try and avoid these circumstances.
Ive only had fade noticable once and that was on a good friday with stock brakes and I had really had to slam em from 135 mph and i had been driving for 8 hours continually. It was also very warm for the time of year!

So its fare to say 99% of the time brake fade is not an issue in a manual car.

But driving like Andy and Dave do in an Auto I can see why it could become an issue! ( I wasnt knocking your driving by the way)Im just a nervous passanger!

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 10:49
I can only express an opinion from my own experience. Engine braking doesn't work with auto's to the same extent as it does on the MT - so yes you do rely on the foot brake more.

If you are happy with the stock brakes then that is good.

At the end of the day I feel more confident with the DS pads.

Murphy
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 10:54
"and don't knock the speed off quick enough" Quick enough for what?

You shouldn't be driving on public roads like a complete hoon which requires the use of heavy duty brakes its that simple. If you brake with plenty of time and know your car well then you shouldn't have a problem driving on stock brakes.

Things like that AP kit are designed with track/race cars in mind - we are neither of those things!

x

LMAO. Thankyou for making your simple points. I would like to acknowledge your points and point out the fact that it was in my opinion. I did point out that if you are happy then that is absolutly fine, i was projecting my comments to those that are not happy.

Again Andy your Volvo was auto so you do notice the brakes more as you use them more.

I did actually say that it was in Tristans manual car that i thought the brakes were poor.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 10:58
BTW Murphy that wasn't directed at you but having read it back I can see how you may have looked that way. It was a "folk in general" statement.

x

After_Shock
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 13:21
I have got to say I didnt like the stock brakes, had them on fire on a number of occassions and that was before the RICA upgrade and not driving like an idiot!

pyrotechnictigger
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 13:36
Right off up the lancs for some 70-0-70-0-70-0-70 stuff if nobody is about. Lets see how much mine can take till they fade. BRB :sinner:

V8guitar
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 16:00
I've got an auto and stock brakes and they are good enough for me. I do drive fast and a bit of stop start.

However, mine are due for replacement and might consider an upgrade anyway...why not, its only money!

Seriously, I know we are talknig about optimum performance, but brakes and suspension differences only really become apparent when pushing really hard, which as Mrs M was saying is quite difficult to do on public roads - squealing tyres ( from cornering )is a sure way to draw Plods attention....

How is the fund raising going for my upgrade ( in the interests of science of course) ?

After_Shock
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 16:19
With regards to the brakes I have never driven my car to the extent its skidding into or around corners or anything daft like that, I thought I was actually going quite slowly the first time they set on fire, just lost all feel in the brake pedal to get out to see smoke pouring out from behind the wheels!

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 16:22
With regards to the brakes I have never driven my car to the extent its skidding into or around corners or anything daft like that, I thought I was actually going quite slowly the first time they set on fire, just lost all feel in the brake pedal to get out to see smoke pouring out from behind the wheels!

Well in around 2 years of T5's on stock brakes I have never had that happen so what am i doing differently???????

x

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 16:29
Tash - if and when you come to replace the pads would you have one of the 3 Ferodo DS pads, Stock pads or some other brand?
This is not a leading question - I am genuinely interested in your opinion.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 16:31
I dunno about prices as I haven't looked into it but as long as the stock set up was cheaper than the DS range I'd fit stock again.

x

After_Shock
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 16:35
I had no idea what I did to get it to set on fire it must have just been the road that I went down as it was a country lane/B road even though I wasnt pushing the car hard.

It was one of the first things I did was replace the discs and pads but I made the mistake of changing then to Black Diamond discs and pads all round which resisted fade much better but had exactly the same trait, would set on fire.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 16:45
I do 10 miles of 50/50 country lanes and dual carriageway every morning and every evening to and from work ..... My brakes have never caught fire!!!

x

After_Shock
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 16:48
I have no idea then!

JUDGENINJA
Friday 20th May 2005, 01:55
I've completed a full track day using the very dodgy EBC Greens (I bought them when I was young and stupid :) ). I've never suffered brake fade but have suffered clutch fade..I also complete a 26 mile journey to work that can be done in about 15 mins. Some twisty and some dual carriage-way with no brake fade. The only car I can compare the brakes with is my old nissan Bluebird. Odd comparison but the Bluebird had an extremely good braking system almost verging on a too sharp response.

After_Shock
Friday 20th May 2005, 11:55
Good of you to mention Nissan, my Almera has stupidly good brakes for a 1.5 car, ive tried really hard to get them to fade but the fact that can only go slow in a 1.5 has probably always prevented it.

However back to Volvo's, the brakes on the S60/V70's are really good, similar story with the new S40/V50's aswell, got to drive a 52 reg C70 yesterday and put my foot on the brakes with that sinking feeling, this was just after driving an S60 and the differences are huge.

Redbrick
Friday 20th May 2005, 14:46
[QUOTE=JUDGENINJA]I've never suffered brake fade but have suffered clutch fade..I also complete a 26 mile journey to work that can be done in about 15 mins. QUOTE]

STOP!

WOW THERE....

26 miles in 15 mins. Holy Mary thats AVERAGING over 100mph.

What the heck is clutch fade, what are the symptoms of that? Do tell...

Just to add changing my brake fluid to DOT 5.1 made a huge improvement to my brakes.

CARRY ON

Goof
Friday 20th May 2005, 15:06
The only time I've had brake fade (fire!) was on my old Firenza 2.3 when I couldn't source my usual Ferodo DS11's - had to use some cheaper "copy" pads, and they'd fade & catch fire easily! They were changed the next week.

volvotuning
Friday 20th May 2005, 15:16
I've had clutch fade too - only at the drag strip I might add. It's where the clutch gets so hot through abuse that it slips until it cools down.

Adam.

After_Shock
Friday 20th May 2005, 15:58
The C70 suffered clutch fade on the way back from the pod on that day I visited, went to overtake a car in 3rd gear on a single lane road and didnt really go anywhere, was quite a bad time for it to happen!

phil
Sunday 22nd May 2005, 21:32
I got my standard front pads changed to ferrodo DS2500 last year after getting some nasty fade between a series of dual carridgeway roundabouts. Havent had fade since.

Wasnt driving like a loony either, they just refused to pull me up as expected, not nice. Stopping 70ish to 20 or 0 a number of times in quick succession was enough.

V8guitar
Monday 23rd May 2005, 13:54
I've had clutch fade on my old Nissan 200sx, after many thrashed miles and a particularly steep junction, ridding the clutch. Lovely smell!! It then acts like an auto by gliding you into gears rather than changing them.

I've also had brake fade on that car after some serious hammering, which required pushing the pedal that bit harder....but not had it on my volvo, but I don't have to thrash it as much...hence why I feel stock ones feel fine.

My discs and pads are due soon, and I agree with Mrs M, unless the upgrade ones are same price or only slightly more, then I see no point. But, you pays your money....