PDA

View Full Version : T5 or not T5 that is the question

mas
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 22:02
Im sure this has been answered somewhere on a volvo forum ??

If looking at an 850 for sale claiming to be a T5 , and the log book says its an 850 turbo 2319 how can you quickly and easily tell that it actually is a T5 as the log book doesnt show 'T5'.

This questions not actually for me as I have a nice shiney V70 T5 already , but i heard the question asked and couldnt answer so it has me intrigued now, i just have to know :D

rich850t5
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 23:55
On my log book(v5)it's down as an 850 T5 CD your friend just might have got caught out!

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 14th April 2005, 02:40
I think this sort of issue goes back to an old thread regarding a V5 on a Rover a friend of mine had...

His V5 said Rover 220 coupe, when it was a 220 Turbo coupe. He made some investigations with Rover who confirmed that it certainly was a Turbo model.

Now the theory is that all V5 registrations are inputted by hand by people who do not necessarily know the correct mark of a vehicle so They input the data they seem fit for the day....To cut a long story short After a couple of Letters to and form the DVLA he managed to get the details changed....

My advice would be to take the VIN and possibly the engine code to Volvo who can varify the cars true DNA whcih in turn could be used to amend the Log book....

The other side of the coin is one of the last owners had it as another model which he changed to a T5 engine and accessories and has had the log book amended to reflect this before the introduction of the SVA test.....

t51995
Thursday 14th April 2005, 14:04
When I bought mine just over a year ago the log book (v5) said it was an 850 S Auto, no mention of the T5!. That was ok untill I went to insure it and found I was getting different quotes depending on what I called it. Insurance companies can look on veh records and see what the veh is called. It is all very well untill you need to make a claim and when you have it insured as 850 S and the insurance assesor has a look and says"this has beem modified, its got a turbo", you could be in the shiŁ.
So I contacted Volvo UK, who wrote a letter stating my car was a 850 T5 S Auto, the S being to do with the option packages. It had in fact been wrongly classed since first registration!
I wrote to DVLA and sent a copy of the letter etc.............and they lost the lot, so had to do it all again.

It's worth making sure you have the genuine article!
:biggrin:

adesou
Thursday 14th April 2005, 14:36
my logbook says 850 turbo which i beleive the early t5s were called

JUDGENINJA
Friday 15th April 2005, 02:18
Mine is a late model T-5 S..My log book reflects this

mas
Friday 15th April 2005, 08:35
It seems ive highlighted sonething re the registrations , my V70 doesnt say T5 either but is definately a T5.

It happens on all cars its either lazy registration or lazy DVLA I dont know. I had an imported Previa that was actually a lorry on the log book and strictly speeking needed a commercial MOT but no MOT station ever picked it up as it is of course just a 4 wheel drive car and a mistake on registration :)

I was wondering if there was any obvious sign to look at under the bonnet e.t.c ( other than a turbo sinc other LPressure volvos have it ) , and was just interested really TBH

Mas

firthman
Saturday 16th April 2005, 09:37
my log book also says 850 t5 cd and its great or it will be lol. :B_steerin