PDA

View Full Version : are t5 volvos suposed to go ok(mines ****)any ideas??

powernut
Sunday 29th October 2006, 20:14
hi went for a spin 2day in my t5 bug sounds great pulls but nothing exicting other then that?i thought it would catch flys in a bug ,put not inpressed at all
its dead till the turbo comes in ,the goes ok for around 3.4000rpm then slightly holds back only a bit then seems to slowly keep pulling?but i thought id exspect daft pulling power in a vw beetle?turbo set std (15g, and has a rica 304 ecu ,im not inpressed ,i least exspected it wheel spinning in rear wheel drive? any ideas(my pickup would eat it for breakfast i trying catching a s70(s something,,i think) that went well,any ideas?

chalky
Sunday 29th October 2006, 20:21
hi went for a spin 2day in my t5 bug sounds great pulls but nothing exicting other then that?i thought it would catch flys in a bug ,put not inpressed at all
its dead till the turbo comes in ,the goes ok for around 3.4000rpm then slightly holds back only a bit then seems to slowly keep pulling?but i thought id exspect daft pulling power in a vw beetle?turbo set std (15g, and has a rica 304 ecu ,im not inpressed ,i least exspected it wheel spinning in rear wheel drive? any ideas(my pickup would eat it for breakfast i trying catching a s70(s something,,i think) that went well,any ideas?
somethings gotta be wrong bro! if you aint smilin when you be pushind ard!! spesh if its got rear wheel fun!! sounds like you wanna see the boyz who know at Vt tuning to sort it!!:saythat:

mazza
Sunday 29th October 2006, 20:23
no idea what it could be but it doesnt sound right mate,got a rica 280,spins in first three gears no probs!!!!glad its up an running you nutter.....good luck with the problems....

Tomcat
Sunday 29th October 2006, 20:24
Yup I'd second that, if mine makes me grin like an idiot and its pulling a couple of tons of Volvo, then it should wipe the smile off your face in something the weight of a bug

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 29th October 2006, 20:32
Yup I'd second that, if mine makes me grin like an idiot and its pulling a couple of tons of Volvo, then it should wipe the smile off your face in something the weight of a bug

I agree, big grin every time i floor it.Must have a problem somewhere.

nobananas
Sunday 29th October 2006, 20:38
You got a boost gauge fitted ? Sounds as if it's backing off the boost for some reason.

irf
Sunday 29th October 2006, 21:04
you've definetly got power issues but i wouldn't judge it from the lack of wheelspin. you've got the engine in the back i presume which means you'll have a hell of a lot more traction then us guys.

volvotuning
Sunday 29th October 2006, 21:12

You really have to get the diagnostics connector wired up else you could have a load of problems and not know about them. You also need to make sure everything is connected up the way it's supposed to be, ie all sensors, solenoids, and vac hoses etc.

Use a boost gauge as a simple test. You should have at least 1.0 bar by 3000 rpm in say 3rd gear. If not, something is wrong.

Adam.

powernut
Monday 30th October 2006, 20:26
somethings gotta be wrong bro! if you aint smilin when you be pushind ard!! spesh if its got rear wheel fun!! sounds like you wanna see the boyz who know at Vt tuning to sort it!!:saythat:dont get me wrong starts revs and pulls ok for a 5clyinder lump but when a s70 just leaves me standing in a t5 bug im sure theres a prob?i could understand if mine was a auto lol

powernut
Monday 30th October 2006, 20:27
I agree, big grin every time i floor it.Must have a problem somewhere.
i went in a t5r that was another leval not over fast until it got rolling thow lol

powernut
Monday 30th October 2006, 20:29
no idea what it could be but it doesnt sound right mate,got a rica 280,spins in first three gears no probs!!!!glad its up an running you nutter.....good luck with the problems....
lol nutter i like your mentalty matey i thought this thing would be evil but instead im not a happy chappy lol it shoves me into the seat but any gears from 2,3,4 ive no chance of a spining tyre lol (yet)

powernut
Monday 30th October 2006, 20:31
ive bin and double check and the chap says its defo a rica 304 upgrade ecu?my 3.0 pickup would leave this for dust none turbod and dose 13.8 santa pod this pile of crap may get there in half a hour lol

powernut
Monday 30th October 2006, 20:33
You got a boost gauge fitted ? Sounds as if it's backing off the boost for some reason.
i temp fitted a 2.0barr tim boost gauge and its boosting 1.5 barr?it boost pulls but a toss for a t5

powernut
Monday 30th October 2006, 20:41
You really have to get the diagnostics connector wired up else you could have a load of problems and not know about them. You also need to make sure everything is connected up the way it's supposed to be, ie all sensors, solenoids, and vac hoses etc.

Use a boost gauge as a simple test. You should have at least 1.0 bar by 3000 rpm in say 3rd gear. If not, something is wrong.

Adam. right it boosts to 1.5 barr with this 2.0barr tim boost gauge ,the engine wireing was never messed with as its controlled by the ecu , no dionostic wired up yet , but the only thing i dint fit was that black bottle like fuel thingy which had black plastic pipes runing from the injection bar (i think) im thinking of banging this 19 t and downpipe on but thought a 15g std turbo would be better in a bug?if i discard the t5 intercooler it makes no differance,and the wategate control valve dose run better with it contected? i thought this project would have some right torque in a bug compaired to the volvo ,(stress ive parked it up na ,as im a bit p...ssed off with the power from this lump ,oh the turbo as not bin alterd so its std,maybe that but i thought 1.5bar is plenty eneogh boost and the pipes blow up well when under load?

Andrew
Monday 30th October 2006, 20:43
<clensed by author>

powernut
Monday 30th October 2006, 20:44
you've definetly got power issues but i wouldn't judge it from the lack of wheelspin. you've got the engine in the back i presume which means you'll have a hell of a lot more traction then us guys.
grrr maybe something not right i reckon ,but ive just thought of something (fuel pump its still got a vauxhall fuel pump instead of a volvo t5 one ,,mmm i change it maybe feul pressure or something lol(theres no way of donuting it bloody thing sounds wickid and pulls ok ,but not that good to do burnouts lol

powernut
Monday 30th October 2006, 20:48
1.5 is high - perhaps the ecu is realing the power in of overboost?mmm in the boost gauge it has green -1.0 yellow 0.5/1.0 then red 1.5 2.0 bar but the turbo hasnt bin alterd , but i know this ecu was running on a 850 t5 manual but had a 19 t on it , which the guy said hed put the std feuling for my turbo?,im going to try a t5 fuel pump first andy as theres a oxy vauxhall omega one from a v6 sat in the tank at mo ,maybe that?

Andrew
Monday 30th October 2006, 20:54
<clensed by author>

powernut
Monday 30th October 2006, 21:00
A standard t5 boosts 0.5bar and r standard 0.7bar an altered t5 with 15g around 1.2bar and 19t standard around 1.3bar although the lower the better. My 19T custom RICA produces around 1.26 bar.

Ac.
i understand what u mean andy, but i bet ur bugger goes like a bomb , evern thow mines slightly higher it dosent wheel spin (unsless its rwd?ive checked all the vac hoses i can find no hissy /air noises,people keep saying a t5 in a vw beetle will fly (if it had wings lol) the car had 90.000 with loads of history so i wouldnt say the engines tierd. tryed unplugging things e.g exhurst sencor/and cam sensor just to see if it made any differances (and none at all)

nobananas
Monday 30th October 2006, 22:27
I would agree with Andrew. The boost your reading sounds too high. Might explain why it goes like hell when you first stick your boot down then as the boost rises to dangerous levels the ecu puts it foot in and starts killing things. You could perhaps try fitting an mbc valve and set it to crack open at a stock, safe boost level say around 0.5 to 0.7 bar then see if the power delivery is better.

powernut
Tuesday 31st October 2006, 00:26
I would agree with Andrew. The boost your reading sounds too high. Might explain why it goes like hell when you first stick your boot down then as the boost rises to dangerous levels the ecu puts it foot in and starts killing things. You could perhaps try fitting an mbc valve and set it to crack open at a stock, safe boost level say around 0.5 to 0.7 bar then see if the power delivery is better.
I AGREE WHAT UR SAYING MATEY BUT EVERN THOW THEY MAYUBE HIGH HOW COME THAT S70 PULLED AWAY LIKE I WAS DOING 40MPH AND I WAS BOOT DOWN IN EVERY GEAR LOL ,(LOVE TO KNOW WHOS OWNS IT LOL

volvotuning
Tuesday 31st October 2006, 01:04
As mentioned by others already, the boost is too high. The ignition will be retarding, and there's probably not enough fuel either. The result will be lower power and torque than desired.

The thing is, and I know I sound like a broken record, you really should be doing this on the dyno, otherwise you won't have any idea how it's running. But before you take it to a dyno, make sure the car is "dyno ready", ie the correct fuel pump is in there, all the hoses are secure, all sensors are connected and working, diagnostics wired up etc etc etc.

Adam.

powernut
Tuesday 31st October 2006, 10:25
As mentioned by others already, the boost is too high. The ignition will be retarding, and there's probably not enough fuel either. The result will be lower power and torque than desired.

The thing is, and I know I sound like a broken record, you really should be doing this on the dyno, otherwise you won't have any idea how it's running. But before you take it to a dyno, make sure the car is "dyno ready", ie the correct fuel pump is in there, all the hoses are secure, all sensors are connected and working, diagnostics wired up etc etc etc.

Adam.hi adam good to hear from you , right had a look this morning and found the wastegate pipe had a crack in it (now replaced)and just going to fit the proper t5 fuel pump 2day as well,the only dionostic plug i have is one from the front of the volvo 850(with a red led under the 2 plug covers with this do if some how can wire it up(ive looked at the colours and only 3 match the ecu colours(so its a bit of a head scatchers at mo .
another thing i found on the injection manifold it once had black plastic pipes runing to a black clyinder on the engine cradle?mine hasnt one on ,as im unsure if it would make any differance,(i hope this is slightly more readable)

RPM
Tuesday 31st October 2006, 10:32
how about 5 mins away from your car this afternoon to take your mind off it. A quick weld here and there on a mates car and the answer will probably be staring you in the face?

powernut
Tuesday 31st October 2006, 10:43
how about 5 mins away from your car this afternoon to take your mind off it. A quick weld here and there on a mates car and the answer will probably be staring you in the face?
lol im real bisy at mo ,ill get to it for you rpm.:

RPM
Tuesday 31st October 2006, 11:20
haha,

I'm persistent!

Speak soon, good luck with the engine probs...................:B_steerin

powernut
Tuesday 31st October 2006, 20:40
Can Anyone Tell Me How To Wire The 850 Mreg T5 Dionostic Plug Up As Im Sure It Shud Run Better As I Need To Get This Sorted I Carnt Be Getting Blown Off With All Other T5 Owners Lol, Ive All The Ecu Wires Out And The Dionostic Plug But All The Colous Dont Match?so Im Assumeing Ther Wired To Somert Else?any Help Would Be Great?

mazza
Tuesday 31st October 2006, 23:05
got a haynes book of lies if ya want to borrow it mate???!!!!got wiring diagram in the back!!

powernut
Friday 3rd November 2006, 19:47
lol cheers sorted the faults/wireing and a dam trapped feul line , runs 100better but the bugger wont spin the wheels thew the gears lol maybe its cos its rwd instead of fwd ?who knows?