PDA

View Full Version : power steering fluid poss leak S70 R R reg

kimbaleeg
Sunday 29th October 2006, 13:15
right guys as above fluid seems to be going down every day by small amount bear in mind though its a taxi so lot ov turning and about 200 miles a day. checked tha rack only place thats sort ov wet more sticky or damp is where steering colum meets the rack and all round the pipes that connect there any ideas is this new rack or just a seal going to garage in morning but though you guys might have an idea first. checked europarts and theres two racks ones £400+vta and the others £700+vat so hope its not the rack at those prices

cheers in advance

lee

indy
Sunday 29th October 2006, 16:19
S70R taxi :insane:

nutter!!!!

i havent a clue as to the question tho mate, good luck on sorting it out :wiggle:

S70T5Chris
Sunday 29th October 2006, 16:52
From what I understand, this is quite a common problem with the 70 series. My steering rack has a slight weep, and I need to top up my fluid every couple of months maybe.

IIRC Russ at RT's said a new rack was nearer 300+vat. I'll get mine done either when it gets really bad, or when i've got a few extra pennies I don't want!

Hope you get it sorted.

kimbaleeg
Sunday 29th October 2006, 17:23
thanks for the replys yes im a nutter, chers for the info chris in for service next monday get them to have good luck i think its just pipe might need tighten i hope anyway not losing loads just alittle off the marks

thanks again
lee

:ukliam2:

pzorb
Sunday 29th October 2006, 17:46
I have this problem too on an 850. Thinking about dumping that gooey seal stuff in there...

Storm-Troll
Sunday 29th October 2006, 19:38
lol.. My 70 isnt leakin yet, not had any leaks in the last year,,,,,, best I check to make sure there is acctually fluid in it...lol

SAMXPJ
Friday 3rd November 2006, 02:39
these seals tend to leak because the fluid is'nt changed often enough and gets mucky, can usually tell by the nasty smell the fluid gives off, most autopart outlets will lend you the flushing pump if you buy the flushing fluid and replacement fluid from them, it takes about 30mins to carry out. This procedure will often stop the noise that can happen at full lock, well worth the time but once the muck has got under the seal then maybe to late !

pzorb
Friday 3rd November 2006, 02:41
A flushing pump... what about a turkey baster?

kimbaleeg
Saturday 4th November 2006, 17:04
hi guys thanks for replys car been in for service and had a word with them about the sterring and he had an aditive something similar to rad weld but for stering racks have put it in and will let you know wether it works or not signs are good so far. as for the fluid its black so im going to change if this works stop the leak if not will be new rack so no point in changing fluid as that will be done when new rack is fitted and that will be sooner rather than later as leak will fail taxi test in january fingures crossed

lee

neevo
Saturday 4th November 2006, 19:14
Isn't the slick50 steering fluid* supposed to rejuvenate the seals? I don't think it's too expensive, Halfords do it and probably many larger motor factors too.

As far as flushing goes when I did mine I cheated by using a cleaned and dried pump from a hand soap dispenser. I emptied the tank, ran the motor for a day or so and repeated. After a few repeats there is only a minor amount of the original fluid left and not enough to worry about. It's an easy and clean way to do the job, just repetative.

*I'm sure that's not it's proper name but it's by the same people and carries the slick brand somewhere in its' name.

SAMXPJ
Tuesday 7th November 2006, 00:54
Before I flushed mine out I called in to our local volvo stealer who I have used for many years, the foreman said " racks" can't remember the last one we fitted then spoke to the stores guy [who's worked there for 27 years] who said he maybe remember selling two. They don't wear just the seals !