PDA

View Full Version : 850 T5R with interstellar mileage

oizukilemon
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 17:04
I have been offered one with WELL over 200k on the clock on teh original engine, which has been reportedly serviced in accordance with Volvo's service plan. But given that the engine is high pressure turbo'd .. is it living on borrowed time? or does the legendery ability of these wonderful machines mean [all things being equal] it has happy years of motoring ahead of it?

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 17:09
Is it the one on ebay and how much is he/she wanting for it?

x

oizukilemon
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 17:14
Yeap - I saw this car originally in Southport about July last year and was tempted. Sounds like the chap who bought it has had a run of bad luck having to replace a number of things. He hasnt given a clue on price, other than much higher than the current.

Ive been watching the prices on ebay for a while, it seems that late model saloon versions go for c. £2500, and good estates much more. but I dont really have a feel for intergalactic mileages on the estates... what would you think ? assuming it doesnt break immediately.....

lance
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 17:19
200k is on the high side but if its been well looked after it could well have a fair bit of life left in it.
I would recomend at that millage frequent oil changes every 5k , and a good independent mechanic!
Personally I would keep a money pot spare so if something does go pop you can get it done!
Ive heard of T5s doing 400k + on the original engine and have seen one with 300k on the clock.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 17:20
Its a nice looking car and seems to have been well looked after.......

It's very difficult to put a price tag on something like this as at 200k there could be many things likely to go wrong - however, it doesn't mean they WILL go wrong. Has he given you any indication as to his reserve?

x

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 17:21
I'd suggest 2.5k would be a fair price for it - ok so its a limited edition but that doesn't mean its any less likely to suffer from age related problems (esp with an auto tranny)

x

foz
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 17:22
Mine is not such high mileage, 'only' 196k, 1996 850R estate, however, apart from a turbo rebuild at 165000 and a new clutch soon to the best of my knowledge, everything has stood up well. Still boosts to over 3/4 way into the white when allowed to, with no nasty smoke or rattles, small chuckle from gearbox input bearings when idling, but has done since I bought it 2 years ago, and all standard. Very happy with my high mileage brick.

oizukilemon
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 17:23
No idea at all unfortunately.

With 2 850 CD's on the drive already, Im going to have to be sure of a 'bargain' to make room for it - otherwise I may just have to stick to giving one of the CDs the R look.

Ive already dropped Tomcat a note regarding the front spoilers I understand he sources.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 17:25
Tomcat is your man for the bumpers :beer:

x

oizukilemon
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 17:26
Well there is some encouraging feedback anyway....

I just need to have that slightly difficult conversation with my wife..

Goof
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 17:29
Just tell her when you get home.
Always the best way, these women generally know nothing about cars! ;)
(I can see the flames coming.... ;))

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 18:08
Just tell her when you get home.
Always the best way, these women generally know nothing about cars! ;)
(I can see the flames coming.... ;))

Sorry did I hear something about women not knowing anything about cars?? :mad111: :whatever: LOL

x

Goof
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 18:35
See - flamed by the best! ;) :firedevil