PDA

View Full Version : Strut Top Mounts

Carl
Saturday 28th October 2006, 12:31
Seek some advice.

I'm chasing a front suspension noise, done the sway bar tie rods - usual prob, but there is still I think just one knock left.

I've read one piece of advice on the forum, which was if the 21mm nut on the top of the strut moves then the top mounts have cracked, so tested this and both move and rotate the top of the spring. Ive felt up aroung the metal plate that holds the top of the spring but cant locate a crack, so the question is what am I looking for?

Other things I've noticed are that the knock only occurs on some bumps, sometimes one side or other - not on uneven road surfaces like the tie rod knocks, at times when appling the brakes I feel a small movement coming through the steering wheel, finally the car loves following any small valleys on the road surface, or heading for the hedge when there's water on the road, something that never happens with my 850. I initially put down to the tyre profile, given there 17'' etc. I am trying to get some movement out of the bottom ball joints but either haven't got the right angle or there just isn't any.

Many Thanks

Carl
Saturday 28th October 2006, 14:21
Update, found movement in the bushes of the bottom wish bone, I think this accounts for the self steering. Anyone know whether I can change just the bushes? (P2)

Would still like to know how to check cracked top mounts.

T-5ones
Saturday 28th October 2006, 14:24
First question. Have you had a look at/changed the top engine mount?

T-5ones
Saturday 28th October 2006, 14:26
Yes i think wishbone bushes are available.

Carl
Saturday 28th October 2006, 14:42
T-5ones - sorry should have mentioned that - yes did the large one and the two at each end of the end of the cross member.

T-5ones
Saturday 28th October 2006, 17:57
yes did the large one and the two at each end of the end of the cross member.

I had steering wheel/engine knock which the new top mount sorted.

Bushes were done when it was in for a service and i think it was the wishbone bushes that were done. They had minimal play but great result after changed.

The spring seat that sits ontop of the spring cant really be got at/seen unless the shock and spring are taken out. My P1's spring seats were shag*ed where the upper mounting/bearings sit ontop of them. This is all under the body work as you view it from the engine bay.

Carl
Saturday 28th October 2006, 19:31
Thanks T5-ones,

I think I better set a day aside and order a few parts. I havn't been through my P1 as far as you have, but found every thing seriously better with new control arms and sway bar links. I did this about 70k after I had it, having just got the P2 I'm keen to get it upto std asap.

Out of interest did you have a wheel alinement done after the work?

T-5ones
Saturday 28th October 2006, 22:04
From memory, but I may be wrong, the spring seats were volvo only parts. The top mounts/bearing are not cheap. Dont go taking shocks/springs off without the proper clamps.( Just incase you were thinking about it.)

Yes the wheel alinement was checked after the bushes were done on the p2.

If there is anyone else on the forum reading this, please help us out folks as I'm not great at this sort of thing.

1900ss
Monday 7th July 2008, 17:38
I have the same noises and driving symptoms from my V70 T5, I've had all of the engine mounts done, top suspension mounts as well and the dealer cant find any other faults and said if I find out what it is to let them know !!!!!!!!!!

itguy
Monday 7th July 2008, 18:53
I too am chasing some front end suspension-type noises on my p2 t5.

I have had my local spannerman look over it and he can't see or feel anything wrong so I'm going to probably take the front dampers out to inspect the spring seat/top mounts.

www.partsforvolvosonline.co.uk sell them, they are not that expensive.

GreenMachine
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 19:39
This was a old one I posted -I found a couple of really silly things which made the car alot quieter

The bonnet catches dont grab the bonnet properly so the bonnet bangs - and the front nose cone is held on by four or five plastic press studs just where the bonnet meets it, all mine were broken.

But I'm still looking for one final thing on the near side - one day....

CONDYBOY
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 21:33
I had similar noise on my V40 it was the rubber in the top strut mount, You can just see it if you look down on the large nut (under bonnet) it runs around the large nut between two bits of metal. Try turning the nut looking for where the rubber is torn. I think mine was from a bad install before I got the car.