PDA

View Full Version : Useless Dipped Beam

Kiowan
Wednesday 25th October 2006, 00:13
Hi, i've had my Phase 2 V70 T5 for a week now and am starting to get to grips with it and am noticing all the niggles and issues, as you do when you buy a second hand car.

The major problem is that the dipped beam is absolutely crap, it's too low even with the dash aim adjuster right up and has only just had an MOT so assume aim was checked. The light coming from the lights (blueish as theyre those blue xenon ones) also seems really weak even if the aim was higher, high beam is like someone floodlighting the place massive difference. Had a real job driving on country roads lastnight coz I couldn't see more than about 5ft in front of me! The car also has a couple of those wedge shaped stickers on the bottom of the headlights (i think for blocking beam for driving abroad?) would they be the cause at all?

Another thing I'm noticing is a wierd noise from the front offside wheel area, its intermittent and I only heard it first on the motorway tonight, sounds almost like tiny stones flicking around the wheelarch area but it isn't, more of a tapping/knocking but like I say is very random.

Cheers

thunderace
Wednesday 25th October 2006, 00:20
hi check this out..
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14853

also the wedge things are to block out the beam for continental travel and if you take em off you will see a difference :)

have you checked for stones in the tread? if you hold the top and bottom of the wheel and tug, is it loose or makes a noise? other than that i'm stuck but others will help i'm sure

dreadly
Wednesday 25th October 2006, 06:50
Another thing I'm noticing is a wierd noise from the front offside wheel area, its intermittent and I only heard it first on the motorway tonight, sounds almost like tiny stones flicking around the wheelarch area but it isn't, more of a tapping/knocking but like I say is very random.

Cheers

Could be a stone in your heater fan, I had this on a peugeot 406! - There was something in the fan housing and it sounded like there was a stone rattling around the engine bay - Just a thought.

Kiowan
Wednesday 25th October 2006, 18:18
Thanks for the replies, I've got some spare H7 bulbs lying around so will try them see if they improve the beam, will also remove the stickers see how that helps, I'll be sure to ask again if it doesn't.

Think I solved the noise, the plastic tray under the engine is not fixed properly on the offside infront of the wheel and it's been collecting an entire gravel pit by the looks of what I scooped out, the wind must've been getting in and swirling them around :)

nez
Wednesday 25th October 2006, 20:45
I had the same prob with mine, the lights that is.
Put some PIAA bulbs in, much better.

jdcampbell
Wednesday 25th October 2006, 23:17
I had the same prob with mine, the lights that is.
Put some PIAA bulbs in, much better.

The PIAA bulbs are very expensive and did not come out very will in the AutoEXPRESS bulbs tests. I would advocate Osram Silver Star or Philips Vision Plus.

I can supply these for 10% off retail to members of this forum, but I guess I need to get that OK'd by whoever runs this forum before I post my company's details.

Doug

siamblue
Thursday 26th October 2006, 00:23
If you do a lot of night driving then HID is the only way to go, best by far mod on my car are the HID 4100K units.

kimbaleeg
Thursday 26th October 2006, 12:57
hi guys ive just bought silver star bulbs for my Rand as it does alot ov night driving there performing pretty well so far deffo brighter than standard bulbs and i got them from GSF and they were only £20 for the pair

Al115
Thursday 26th October 2006, 14:26
I can supply these for 10% off retail to members of this forum, but I guess I need to get that OK'd by whoever runs this forum before I post my company's details.

Yep, you do - please speak with Justin.

Thanks.

Al115
Thursday 26th October 2006, 14:28
I should also have thanked you for the kind offer of a discount, in your previous post. My bad :)