PDA

View Full Version : heres a thought, would old autobox oil cause a scuffing sound ?

rabskyline
Tuesday 24th October 2006, 23:42
i have checked all the cv's and gaitors on my xc and they look fine. however its hard to pinpoint the noise origin. but my ev had yaw control and this is basically hydraulically controlled brake pads in a diff gripping a plate to stop a certain side from losing traction. so my point is, when it was needing changed it made a groaning noise, could this be similar to the cyclic scuffing noise that is coming from the front of my car ? as it only happens when turning at average town speeds. its just a thought ! any opinions ? the sound seems to be from the front n/s but not 100% .as its not right over there like a wheel bearing noise !

swordy21
Wednesday 25th October 2006, 22:57
Personally I would check brake callipers and or discs. YOu may have a sticky piston or a slightly warped disc.

Storm-Troll
Wednesday 25th October 2006, 23:07
my dad had this problem years ago,, knocking noise from a front wheel area,, he went to 3 garages who tried to rip him all off saying it was this and that and would cost ££££££££,, but then he went to a garage who I went to school with the blokes kids,, totally honnest guy,, he said,, naa,, you just need a new tire,, got a deformity in the tire makin a knockin noise,,,,,,, hense, we always use his garage now,,, but just a thought,, check your tire, stick spare on to see if still got the noise,,,, just a thought,,,

rabskyline
Friday 27th October 2006, 21:49
i had thought tyre before but this sounds mechanical. i took the car out without the wife and kids so there wasnt any noise from within the car and it may be a brake thing but will check tomorrow as its the only time i get(the weekend) as the kids are away with their mother to ballet and shopping etc etc. pure bliss !!