PDA

View Full Version : Front discs

T5frankie
Tuesday 24th October 2006, 16:34
Do you need any special tools to replace the front discs and is it a easy job? car is a 99 v70 t5 with 310mm discs:confused:

kimbaleeg
Tuesday 24th October 2006, 16:59
hi mate no special tools just allen key and spanners and sockets sure the allen key is a 7 or 8 mm and you deffo need a 10mm spanner for retainer nut on the disk took me about half an hour to do each side only thing you really must remember is when you take old disk off is too clean the hub ov rust and rubbish so that when you put new one on it sits flush on the hub hope this helps

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 24th October 2006, 22:36
I wouldnt separate the caliper from the carrier. Easiest way to change disks, is to drop the carrier bolts out and drop the carrier and the caliper together - 2 bolts (13mm IIRC???). You'll probably need a decent length spanner or breaker bar to loosen the carrier bolts from the steering knuckle.
The retaining nut often sheers off. But dont worry about a replacement.

swordy21
Wednesday 25th October 2006, 22:54
Dead easy, and like Dave says, eaier to undo the callipers and carriers together. I suspended mine from the front spring with some string. Just make sure that you dont twist the brake hose when refitting.

kimbaleeg
Thursday 26th October 2006, 12:54
hi guys i must be doing it the slow way lol will try wot youve both said next time i do them learn something new everyday thats wat this place is for help great

T5frankie
Thursday 26th October 2006, 16:36
Dead easy, and like Dave says, eaier to undo the callipers and carriers together. I suspended mine from the front spring with some string. Just make sure that you dont twist the brake hose when refitting.Hi took your advice it is a 15mm spanner job the nuts were so tight it broke three ratchets ( admittedly cheap ones) but the spanner just rounded off the edges, give me the right 'ump sitting in the rain doing that so bunged the wheel back on and drove round a few places and in the end city mots in milton keynes did it for me and replaced the knackered bolts for me as well, all for a princely some of £25 not bad eh for 45 mins work eh?:haha: