PDA

View Full Version : Emissions on MOT

st1t5
Tuesday 24th October 2006, 00:23
My C70 T5 (etm model) went in for its MOT on Saturday, it passed ok but it took them a while to get it through its emissions, the mechanic told me its nothing to worry about as they are only allowed .2% to play with on modern cars ......... just curious really but is this common on the Volvo's ?

BlackBeast
Tuesday 24th October 2006, 00:25
No idea, i thoroughly warmed my car up before it went on for the emissions resulting in a 0% CO2 rating even at fast idle :) Thats with a standard exhaust and cat though.

T-5ones
Tuesday 24th October 2006, 07:52
Yup, I'm with blackbeast on this one. Take it for a blast in 4th gear on the way to the test esp. if it does a lot of short and/or low rev trips. A new/cleaned air filter can make a big difference also.

T5chris
Tuesday 24th October 2006, 08:33
I had a similar prob with mine when it got tested in April. Six months later I am waiting for Volvo to get in the new Front Lambda sensor I ordered yesterday at a cost of 181.50 + vat (ouch!!).

My guess is that the lambda had already started to fail back in April. The car has been parked up most of the summer, only covering 1500 miles until I started using her for work again last month.

nobananas
Tuesday 24th October 2006, 21:41
Often MOT stations will let the motor idle for 20 mins or so whilst they conduct the rest of the MOT test and then not purge it when they do the emmissions ! This is often a cause of emmissions failure or 'just scraped through mate !'. They should hold the vehicle at mid revs for a minute or so and then conduct the emmissions test.

st1t5
Wednesday 25th October 2006, 00:18
The car gets used mainly for long trips up and down to Aberdeen, and it had been getting used by the girlfriend to go to work in Cumbernauld all week, it also just had a service not too long ago and a new ITG panel filter put in.

The chap also said that they held the revs up on it but it did'nt make much difference, i'll keep an eye on it as time goes by, could be the lamda is maybe on its way out.

Can Volvo detect if the lamda is on its way out ??

dreadly
Wednesday 25th October 2006, 06:36
The car gets used mainly for long trips up and down to Aberdeen, and it had been getting used by the girlfriend to go to work in Cumbernauld all week, it also just had a service not too long ago and a new ITG panel filter put in.

The chap also said that they held the revs up on it but it did'nt make much difference, i'll keep an eye on it as time goes by, could be the lamda is maybe on its way out.

Can Volvo detect if the lamda is on its way out ??

Go round the block for a few mins in second at around 5k revs, the readings will be zero when you get back.
They probably hadn't warmed it up enough, the modern computer based MOT system is very tight on time I have been told.

rabskyline
Wednesday 25th October 2006, 09:11
you need a good mot tester !:smileypul if ya know what i mean !