PDA

View Full Version : Replacement of double din standard stereo

slappygh
Monday 23rd October 2006, 21:38
Hi All,

I have searched threads that might cover my query but I am still very unclear. What I am trying to do is remove the standard SC901 and replace it with a standard single din head unit. I want to do this as easily as poss cos I am not very bright! I am keeping the standard speakers for now

I have bought a wiring adaptor that seems to fit the volvo wiring but when I connect it all nothing happens.

All this talk of amps leads me to think I might have to use an amp, is that right or is probably something daft that I have done?

Vikingxl
Monday 23rd October 2006, 21:39
Which car and what was the volvo head unit?

slappygh
Monday 23rd October 2006, 21:46
Sorry, V70 T5 1998, told you I am not very bright!

slappygh
Monday 23rd October 2006, 21:47
Sc901

Vikingxl
Monday 23rd October 2006, 21:48
I cant help mate but with the new info someone may be able to shed some light on this for you

slappygh
Monday 23rd October 2006, 21:50
thanks anyway!

BlackBeast
Monday 23rd October 2006, 21:51
I used to have a 900 in my car with an amp. Took both out, fitted a Sony single din head unit in place with a wiring adaptor bought from ebay, standard speakers, works fine!

BlackBeast
Monday 23rd October 2006, 21:53
Only thing i can think of is that you've connected the two plugs the wrong way around OR the single head unit doesnt work.

Storm-Troll
Monday 23rd October 2006, 22:06
I agree beast, I took out my volvo HU and fitted the Sony,, same one as you I think,, I got an adapter lead from my mate who works in audio field, Volvo plug one end, sony the other,, plugged straight in and off I went, but if its in the wrong way round, I agree, It wont work,,, Have you checked the little fuse inside the HU, it should be behind a little plastic Plug on the back of the Head unit near where the Wiring comes out???

slappygh
Monday 23rd October 2006, 22:19
No, but I will do now thanks!

Storm-Troll
Monday 23rd October 2006, 22:24
cool, hope that helps, if not let me know, I can speak to my Audio Mate and see what he suggests...

MIKESC70T5
Monday 23rd October 2006, 22:41
Hi mate i'm the manager for Motabitz in Ferndown. Weve got a shop in Oakdale ,Poole. Pop in there tomorrow and say Mike from the Ferndown shop suggested you pop in and they will have a look for you. I'm on holiday this week or i would of suggested you come to my shop.

Mike.

slappygh
Tuesday 24th October 2006, 20:29
you are an absolute gentleman, thanks!

Storm-Troll
Tuesday 24th October 2006, 20:51
Hi mate i'm the manager for Motabitz in Ferndown. Weve got a shop in Oakdale ,Poole. Pop in there tomorrow and say Mike from the Ferndown shop suggested you pop in and they will have a look for you. I'm on holiday this week or i would of suggested you come to my shop.

Mike.

lol.. Small world, couple of my mates live in the Forrest at Verwood, so I spend quite a bit of time down there and most of my family live in Swanage, so im always back and forth over the studland Ferry and in poole..lol. Will have to keep an eye out for you Mike. normally park on the Quay, round by the sunseeker shipyard.....

cegc70t
Tuesday 7th November 2006, 02:06
slappy mate I have the exact same problem!!!! I am sure all your kit is working however it aint as simple as plug and play for some of us! I have a 901 in a c70 and the amp is in the boot! I will post a "how too" when I figure it out lol!

arbee
Tuesday 7th November 2006, 02:18
it is likely that you have a volvo amp in the system somewhere so you either need to bypass it or use it! at the moment your head unit has a connector block for the power leads and a connector block for the speaker leads. Before you get that far, are you getting any power to the head unit or is it working but with no sound?

MattB
Tuesday 7th November 2006, 09:47
normally park on the Quay, round by the sunseeker shipyard.....
Maybe I'll bump into you next time I'm choosing my cruiser lol!
I'll keep my eye out for ya!!! :biggrin:

fraz13
Tuesday 7th November 2006, 10:19
I have just bought a connector thingimy and I couldnt connect it to the wires that plug in the HU...... I followed the wired down the back of the dash and there were another 2 plugs in a foam wrap, I unplugged these and plugged the connector thingimy and it worked.....

In my S70 it had Pro-Logic and the wires going straight into the HU would have been a plug and play..... See half way down this thread for wiring codes http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4781

In my V70 on the small plug theres only 1 or 2 wires, This plug on the connector thingimy has speaker wires, I pulled the wires up and felt down the back of the dash and found the plugs mentioned above....

This must be the same for all S/V70's with the amp under the drivers seat....

On Charlies (Cegs40t) C70 its got the 11 speaker system with the huge amp in the boot... I felt down the back of the dash for the plugs mentioned before but they werent there.... That stumped me but I'm sure he'll get there...

Vikingxl
Tuesday 7th November 2006, 10:37
Am i missing something here but why doesnt he just use the amp?

cegc70t
Tuesday 7th November 2006, 18:34
Am i missing something here but why doesnt he just use the amp?

Viking buddy if he had the same problem as me the amp plug is a chunky round one and this wont go into a non volvo head unit!

bubba_1986
Thursday 9th November 2006, 18:18
http://www.caraudiodesign.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/195/products_id/2860

That is adaptor to let you connect standard amp to preout's

Will probaly be the case that you have a amp and all speakers wired to that. Fit this to the end of 6 pin din cable at back of unit and connect into preouts on single din headunit

Good luck :wink:

slappygh
Thursday 9th November 2006, 19:43
thanks for all your kind words of advice. A mixture of your advice finally solved it! I found the foam wrap that Fraz mentions and tried plugging into that and hey presto! It works, what a result. It makes the dash look a lot neater, I did find the standard volvo SC901 a bit of an eyesore to be honest. Anyway, thanks all of you once again.