PDA

View Full Version : Speakers sizes

juggernaut
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 10:22
Hello all, can anyone give me info on the sizes of the stereo speakers in the dash, doors and rear (estate)? Find the standard ones a bit poor and want to upgrade them with something better. Just want standard size bolt in replacements not huge great Max Power MDF door builds!! Cheers.

mulletboy2
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 12:23
I believe the ones in the door are 13cm .. unfortunately the ones in the dash are a non-standard size and shape, so you'll probably need to do atleast /some/ custom work to get 'em to fit. As for the rear, can't help there I'm afraid.

One point to note though - the headunits don't have a great deal of power, and most aftermarket speakers have a greater power requirement than OE solutions, which means that:

1) The replacements will most likely be quieter than the standard ones, if the headunit is left at the same volume setting

2) You'll end up pushing the headunit into distortion at a quieter volume than with the OE speakers.

As always, I'd advise that if you're going to replace speakers, you do a proper job and buy an amp ... it doesn't have to cost a lot (£50 for a 4 channel amp is perfectly reasonable to expect) in order to do a far better job than the headunit, and this will increase the quality too. Ofcourse, you have the extra hassle of really needing to upgrade the speaker wiring at the same time, and run it to wherever you install the amp(s).

HTH

Mark

MattV70
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 12:44
I'm not sure for volvo's but pioneer usually have manufacturer specific speaker sets. They did for my old Renault Laguna, so i'd guess they may have for the Volvo. If not they should be able to check the sizes for you.

Halfauds should have a list of the cars, the different speakers, and the size required (a bit like the lists they have for wiper blades, brakes etc). Your best bet is to call in to a branch and check the sizes.

I've got to do the same soon as my front speakers have a nice buzzing noise when the stereo is quiet!

Matt

mulletboy2
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 12:53
I've got to do the same soon as my front speakers have a nice buzzing noise when the stereo is quiet!
That will more likely be the headunit than the speakers mate. Fade completely to the rear and see if you get the same buzzing, if you haven't already :)

MattV70
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 13:13
I don't get any buzzing in the rear and it's more the front left than the right. I think the head unit's ok.

mulletboy2
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 13:26
I don't get any buzzing in the rear and it's more the front left than the right. I think the head unit's ok.
Hrmmm ... odd, lol. I'd have thought that a blown speaker would be more obvious at higher listenning levels than lower ones, whereas distortion in the headunit's amp would be more noticable at lower volumes. I still wouldn't be convinced that it's your speakers personally

Also, changing from OE speakers to aftermarket ones will do as I said above, and if you've driven them far enough into clip to blow the OE ones, with lower volume per watt from replacements, you'll more than likely do it again. You still need an amp IMHO :)

MattV70
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 13:33
I didn't blow them up :hbomb: , they were like it when i bought the car.

When i get half a chance i'll swap the outputs from the head unit across front to back, and then check. If the front is still making interesting noises, and the backs aren't i'll just swap the speakers like for like (i'm happy with the sound from the std speakers). if not the whole lot can stay as they are as i've usually got the stereo up loud so the buzzing isn't obvious.

Cheers for the input though

mulletboy2
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 13:35
No worries mate, sounds like a sensible route to take :) Good luck.

M44K TS
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 22:21
Both front and rear door speaker are 13cm (51/4 inch for the oldies) And a decent compnent kit should have a fitting kit with the tweeters to allow them to fit in the standard place on the dash, if not, then it's time to be creative. I'm not sure what size the speakers in the c pillars are though.

If going for a decent setup, go for something quite high in the range like Focal or Rainbow, they're a little more expensive but the difference in quality is noticeable.

I have a set of Focal Access 13A in my front doors and some Focal Utopia's ready for fitting in the rear doors when i can get round to sorting the amp wiring. The utopias are a subwoofer/mid bass speaker so will need a crossover fitted so that no treble is thrown through them and should sound good in the rear doors.

mulletboy2
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 22:27
and some Focal Utopia's ready for fitting in the rear doors when i can get round to sorting the amp wiring. The utopias are a subwoofer/mid bass speaker so will need a crossover fitted so that no treble is thrown through them and should sound good in the rear doors.
I take it you mean the 5WS's? Make sure that you stick them in a nice box mate, they deserve it... Infact, why bother with that atall? Stick 'em in the front doors, move the 5 1/4" access' into the kicks, along with the tweets :D

I hope you're going to amp those 5WS's ... they're 5 ohm, so you'll get maybe 5WRMS out of the headunit into them :)

juggernaut
Thursday 14th April 2005, 10:00
Thanks for the advice, I'll look in to getting an amp as well but where's the best place to fit it in the car? I've never heard of Rainbow speakers before. Can anyone recommend a website so I can see what different speakers are available?

mulletboy2
Thursday 14th April 2005, 10:14
Rainbow are a very good brand, but there's also plenty of others available. What sort of budget would you be looking at for this upgrade? If you're going to buy speakers such as rainbows, you will need to sound deaden the doors, add an amp (and all associated cabling/connectors) etc.. to get the best out of them.

The amp can be fitted wherever you like really, providing it has some ventilation, and is mounted the right way up so that it receives optimal cooling from the cooling fins.

www.caraudiodirect.co.uk would be a good place to start looking for speakers

juggernaut
Thursday 14th April 2005, 16:40
Thanks for the link, seem's theres an endless choice of stuff for you ICE guys!, so much stuff and so little space inside a car to fit it all! Will have to wait a while before I purchase but at least I can have a good root around for what I need in the meantime.Thanks again.