PDA

View Full Version : 2001 C70 oil filter won't come off....

MartinK
Saturday 21st October 2006, 21:10
Right, my neighbours have been taught some new swear words.

I'm trying to change the oil in my 2001 C70 T5 GT. After much effing and blinding the sump drainage bolt has come free, but the oil filter just doesn't want to shift.

It appears to be housed in a domed cylindrical casing that's just the right size for the metal filter wrench I bought. However, the wrench is now scrap because it bent under the strain.

AndrewC kindly popped round with a different type of wrench (a strong fabric weave type), but that couldn't shift it either.

There seems to be some confusion as to which way to turn it. The instructions on the replacement filter seem to contradict other sources of info on the net. As you look at it from underneath, is it meant to undo clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Is it supposed to twist off, or is there some other trick to it?

Would using one of these make it easier?

Clicky:
http://www.chain-auto-tools.com/pics/AMR978I.jpg (http://www.chain-auto-tools.com/engine_tools/AMR978I.htm)

Rnash2002
Saturday 21st October 2006, 21:13
If its the same as the 850 it will be clockwise to take off

Andrew
Saturday 21st October 2006, 21:16
<clensed by author>

anogg3
Saturday 21st October 2006, 21:18
Mine was just bloody tight the first time i took mine off. If its the same as mine a filter inside a plastic housing drivers side of engine. used chain wrench on mine but was very tight. Might be helpful

Andrew
Saturday 21st October 2006, 21:23
<clensed by author>

bubba_1986
Saturday 21st October 2006, 21:28
STOP

i done my c70 2 weeks ago

weak plastic, use the oil filter remover that is got a material strap, get more leaverage

i knw pain in arse, as have to hold at angle to get tight on it

let me knw how u get on

but it can be done

edited to say : anticlockwise, and inside is filter, u just simply replace the plactic cap

gd luck :wink:

anogg3
Saturday 21st October 2006, 21:30
Oh yes forgot to say i used chain wrench with tractor inner tube between it and plastic. Get lads of leverage with 600mm bar onit!!!!

Andrew
Saturday 21st October 2006, 21:32
<clensed by author>

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 22nd October 2006, 11:32
I have both - strap wrench and oil filter molegrips. The thing is - your only supposed to screw them on hand tight - even for the cartridge type

Andrew
Sunday 22nd October 2006, 11:34
<clensed by author>

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 22nd October 2006, 11:40
anti-clockwise AFAIK

siamblue
Sunday 22nd October 2006, 11:52
mine was a pain to get off as well, and i had mine on ramps 6 foot in the air,
Take it to National and ask them to remove it if you are really stuck, it is always anti clockwise to take off unless it is a left handed thread,, clockwise for doing up.

Gary.

st1t5
Sunday 22nd October 2006, 12:27
And i thought it was just me who had this problem. Mine was exactly the same but i got scared i was gonna crack the plastic by straining it to much so i chickened out and gave it to Volvo ... lol

MartinK
Sunday 22nd October 2006, 13:01
Well, with the benefit of Andrew's strap wrench, a long ratchet, and some new swear words (I had to look them up), it finally came free. Anti-clockwise, as stated.

I have discovered that a vital piece of kit when doing your first oil change is Roger's Profanisaurus. It'll be invaluable. :cussing:

Niles
Sunday 22nd October 2006, 17:50
get a new filter, get a long screwdriver & whack it carefully thru the old filter out both sides off centre, grab both ends of the driver & twwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwist. Old trick but it works. Its anti clock im 99% sure.

Andrew
Sunday 22nd October 2006, 17:55
<clensed by author>

ragtop
Sunday 22nd October 2006, 20:21
Hi
If all the above don't work and you have no other choice, you could get a long bladed screw driver and tap it through the oil filter so the blade comes out of the other side, then you can twist it off. I have tried this method before on other cars.

Andy
Sunday 22nd October 2006, 20:45
Hi
If all the above don't work and you have no other choice, you could get a long bladed screw driver and tap it through the oil filter so the blade comes out of the other side, then you can twist it off. I have tried this method before on other cars.

As above, this works on older metal type filters (tried and tested method, works a treat) but not the plastic reuseable casing.

Tomcat
Monday 23rd October 2006, 00:17
Did nobody think to look at the new filter to work out which way the thread faces?, would have stopped any doubt eh??. Glad you got it off though, when I bought my 850 I couldnt get the sump plug undone because some morron had overtightened it and paritialy stripped it. In the end I had to drill the centre out and use a BIG stud extractor on it.

Andrew
Monday 23rd October 2006, 00:33
<clensed by author>

MartinK
Monday 23rd October 2006, 12:46
when I bought my 850 I couldnt get the sump plug undone because some morron had overtightened it and paritialy stripped it. In the end I had to drill the centre out and use a BIG stud extractor on it.

My socket set was beginning to round the corners off the drainage bolt. I used an adjustable wrench in the end. Good job I'd planned to replace the bolt and washer anyway, so I had a new one ready.

Edit: I've got to say the whole experience has been well worth it. The engine is much, much smoother, especially from cold.

Don't delay, change your oil today! ;)

Babybadger
Monday 23rd October 2006, 14:56
My socket set was beginning to round the corners off the drainage bolt. I used an adjustable wrench in the end. Good job I'd planned to replace the bolt and washer anyway, so I had a new one ready.

Edit: I've got to say the whole experience has been well worth it. The engine is much, much smoother, especially from cold.

Don't delay, change your oil today! ;)

Some garages now syphon the oil out of the dipstick (depends on the model of car) with a pump, as it is less messy.

MartinK
Monday 23rd October 2006, 15:28
Some garages now syphon the oil out of the dipstick (depends on the model of car) with a pump, as it is less messy.
Cool idea, but will it be as good at getting all the mess out of the bottom? I can't help but feel it'll leave more old oil in there than using the drain hole for an hour.

Anyone know? Anyone know if it matters?