PDA

View Full Version : wheel wobble..... help!!!

roller girl
Saturday 21st October 2006, 16:53
Front wheel wobble, I'm thinking bearings... is there anything else i should check?

volvolised
Saturday 21st October 2006, 17:02
Have you checked your nuts :rotfl:

abdul
Saturday 21st October 2006, 17:03
it might be loose tighten nuts

thunderace
Saturday 21st October 2006, 17:03
wheel nuts
buckled wheel
steering/suspension damage
out of balance

depends how bad and what kind of wobble:)

roller girl
Saturday 21st October 2006, 17:25
right wheel is off......

check my nuts...

the wheel isn't buckled,

quite a bit of play on the wheel when wobbled by hand

there is VERY bad wear on the inner tread of the tyre also makes a funny noise on this side when i turn left whilst driving, i thought it was catching on something but cannot see anything on the car it would catch on?

Tomcat
Saturday 21st October 2006, 17:31
Get someone to jack that side of the car up and try and move the wheel, check for play(up and down/side to side). If there's movement then its odd's on the wheel bearing.

volvolised
Saturday 21st October 2006, 17:32
Yeah what he say's, Wheelbearing i would think too

roller girl
Saturday 21st October 2006, 17:34
Get someone to jack that side of the car up and try and move the wheel, check for play(up and down/side to side). If there's movement then its odd's on the wheel bearing.

yep thats exactly whats happening

swordy21
Sunday 22nd October 2006, 18:47
Does sound like a wheel bearing.

This is what you want - http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_595_782&products_id=3491

Blewis
Sunday 22nd October 2006, 19:12
Hmm, I've had a problem on that end too, although mine was the bottom ball joint.

That wobbled top to bottom BADLY.... Completely f**ked the handling...

nobananas
Sunday 22nd October 2006, 19:32
To check wether it's bottom balljoint or wheelbearing shake wheel top and bottom and feel for play. Then get a mate to stick their foot on the brake and shake it again. If the play goes away or feels noticably less then it's most likely the wheel bearing . If it stays the same then it's likely to be bottom balljoint.

roller girl
Sunday 22nd October 2006, 19:35
when the wheel was off, the disc wobbled, but the caliper didn't.............?

You turned the disc by hand and the central hub nut appeared to have 1/8th" play..........?

Tomcat
Sunday 22nd October 2006, 20:07
That doesn't sound good!, defo sounds like a wheel bearing fault to me.

ragtop
Sunday 22nd October 2006, 20:27
it is worth a check!!
check that the wheel bearing nut is tightened to the correct torque, and that with some bearing nuts have a little notch in them, so that they don't come loose.

roller girl
Sunday 22nd October 2006, 20:30
It has what I call a castle nut.

A nut with turrets!!

But I could not find any holes for any split pins.

Plus I don't have a 36mm socket, or 3 ft breaker bar. And thats £30 towards the cost of a new bearing fitted!

Its gonna go in on payday for the garage to look at it anyway. I transport kids around in it so it needs doing. Off the road for 2 days then!!!

roller girl
Friday 27th October 2006, 20:19
had it done today......:jaw:
was a wheel bearing ..... apparently i was lucky to get there, quite scary really as i didnt think it was that bad, the bearings where there but they werent round!!!!!!!