PDA

View Full Version : can the 850 be made to handle?

irf
Saturday 21st October 2006, 11:32
ok guys as some of you may know, i've come from a quick 200sx which was quite interesting in the bends.i ctually have a vid of me drifting a roundabout three times!!:biggrin:
anyway, now ive got the t5 estate and i'll obviously be doing the normal things like lowering and strut braces and stuff which will make it secure and faster round the bends but are there things that we can do to make the balance more neutral?
just wanna know things in advance to plan some modifications the right way round and would like to take it on track maybe next summer without understeering round the whole track!!

volvotuning
Saturday 21st October 2006, 11:45
ok guys as some of you may know, i've come from a quick 200sx which was quite interesting in the bends.i ctually have a vid of me drifting a roundabout three times!!:biggrin:
anyway, now ive got the t5 estate and i'll obviously be doing the normal things like lowering and strut braces and stuff which will make it secure and faster round the bends but are there things that we can do to make the balance more neutral?
just wanna know things in advance to plan some modifications the right way round and would like to take it on track maybe next summer without understeering round the whole track!!

The engine is slightly forward of the front axle so the neutral balance you are after may be difficult achieve. First of all, decide what you want to use the car for mainly, ie mainly track, or mainly road. One will be a compromise for the other.

Your 850 was not designed for the track, so if you want good track performance you will need to spend a fair bit.

Adam.

irf
Saturday 21st October 2006, 11:49
wanna keep it for the road definetly, but just want to lessen the understeer and give the rear tyres slightly more say in the cornering process.
also, slightly unrelated does lowering the car increase or decrease torque steer?

RT MECHANICS
Saturday 21st October 2006, 12:03
Hi would recommend the ipd anti roll bar kit and the adjustable end links one of the best mods you can do for your 850 of course springs/shocks as well but the ultimate is coil overs.

Ask (S70T5chris) or (pault5) about the ipd kit's

Russ:)

T5chris
Saturday 21st October 2006, 12:07
Hi

I had my old 850 on Koni adjustables set to their hardest setting and it was unbelievable how much difference it made, especially to the back end. Used to love throwing it about, but ride was a little bone shattering.

However I have the same set up on my c70 but with the koni's on a medium setting (manily to stop our lass twisting about the harsh ride) but the back end does feel a bit 'flighty' at times.

Don't know what tyres you have on, but a quality tyre is a must on these cars as cheapies aren't upto the job. No point spending a forune on suspension etc if rubber is no good!

C....

T5SLAVE
Saturday 21st October 2006, 17:08
My car is still gettin a full sus' rework m8...I'll let u know if an 850 (albeit saloon!) can b made 2 handle when I get it back finished from the boys at PC...my guessin is 'YES', as there is a fair bit o work goin in2 the car's sus' as we speak. Hopefully most o the understeer will b a thing o the past...watch this space my man:wink: I heard a mention of good quality tyres...deffo second that, these's here FWD buses need all the help they can get it would seem:biggrin:

irf
Saturday 21st October 2006, 17:25
thanks for that guys, got plenty to go on now. am at the bottom of the tree at the moment with my estate but will sowly upgrade things as i go along.
first thing is most definetly tyres. the fronts are p6000s:cuckoo: and the backs are some fuldas, so when they go i'll be putting some F1s on and will go from there.
anyone think it's worth putting the fuldas on the front and the crappy p6000s on the back?