PDA

View Full Version : Smokin'

gareth
Friday 20th October 2006, 09:38
Someone may be able to help with this???
When I'm sitting in traffic for a long time & move on again I get a puff of blue smoke from the exhaust. It only happens when the car is hot and has been idling in traffic for a long time( 5 mins+).
Are my turbo oil seals stuffed? Someone mentioned that turbo's had an oil drain that could block. I this true?
Cheers

swordy21
Friday 20th October 2006, 10:37
Could be turbo oil seals. If it only does it after a long time idling and there is no appreciable oil usage (keep an eye on this) probably not a big deal.
Do you get blue smoke on start up in the morning? That could be valve guide seals.
I think the thing you refer to blocking is the PCV system, symptoms of this are puffs of smoke from the dipstick tube.
There is also the oil return pipe seals from the turbo, but there you get a spray of oil back along the underside of the sump, and no smoke from the exhaust.
If you are worried best advice would be take it to a reputable dealer or independant for a once over.

gareth
Friday 20th October 2006, 11:05
Hi. Yep, only after a long time idling and no smoke on start up. I must check the dipstick later to see if it's smoking.I haven't had the car all that long & it's been on the road for even less time but it doesn't seem to consume much oil.
I guess I'll just have to keep a eye on things and cross everything!
Cheers

nobananas
Friday 20th October 2006, 20:29
Don't want to worry you mate but mine was doing exactly the same thing. I suspected turbo seals as well right up to the point when I bought another one to re-con. Did a compression test before commiting to the turbo rebuild and was well down on compression on cylinder number 4 ! (worn rings) Not saying thats definately the problem but I would do a compression test on yours too just to be sure it's turbo related.

petrolhead
Friday 20th October 2006, 22:26
Mine does exactly the same thing.....I have noticed that it seems to do it after the oil has been in for over 3000 miles. An oil and filter change stopped it....could it be oil losing viscosity? and leaking past seals when hot?....that is my theory....try the oil change and see if it works.
Regards
Roger

Storm-Troll
Saturday 21st October 2006, 00:24
stop hidin your gear in the mannifold,, then you wont get smoke,,, ....... damn,, what a waste of gear.....lol

T5ER
Saturday 21st October 2006, 01:41
dont worry about it when it smokes more than 60 a day like me then worry

Storm-Troll
Saturday 21st October 2006, 01:51
hell i thought i smoked loads at 20 a day..... still,,, i have felt heaps better since i had a catalytic conv anallly inserted,,,,,
now the only bad emmisions i have come from my mouth.........:troutslap

T5ER
Saturday 21st October 2006, 02:04
hell i thought i smoked loads at 20 a day..... still,,, i have felt heaps better since i had a catalytic conv anallly inserted,,,,,
now the only bad emmisions i have come from my mouth.........:troutslap
LOL never mate stick around it is a cracking forum,tbh i have just had my time here and on earth so time to go