PDA

View Full Version : Miffed of Birmingham

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 22:54
Apart from one minor glitch last October when the immobiliser refuse to switch off despite the central locking fob working, I have had 14 months without any electrical issues. Until this evening

:mad111:

Locked car with the fob - as per usual. Went off and did stuff for an hour or two and came back. Approaching the car from the usual distance - pointed and fired at her - NOTHING. Got close and still NOTHING. Held fob to detector in middle of windscreen - NOTHING :ukliam2:

Can't open car. Can't start car!

Used key - alarm goes off - disconnected the car battery. Alarm stops when the battery is reconnected - but the flashing light tells me she thinks she is still locked. DAMN!

Eventually I called J and he helped me out with a few things but to no avail and he was on the way to come and help me sort it out. I found the CL fuse (#6) and pulled it. The car would start and Justin could do a U turn and go home (thanks J - you are a star anyway).
Obviously now I have no Central Locking and no alarm.

I am leaving the battery off and will look to get new fob batteries tomorrow. Bit odd - coz it was not that long ago since I replaced them. I am hoping that I can reprogramme the CL with the new fob batteries whilst the car is still alarmed (and a bit upset by all accounts).

Just a bit miffed - as I effing hate it when things are not spot on!

splatt
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 23:01
can u not re prog the fob?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 23:56
Alas no. I thought about this a while ago and thought - I'll see if I can pursuade her. Silly thing is I undid the fob to check the batteries - so the fob would not work now anyway. :doctor:

As soon as the CL fuse is back in and you turn the key (to start the reprogramming process) - the alarm goes off.

I can see a Volvo main dealership visit £££££££££££££££££ on the horizon :hidesbehi

volvotuning
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 00:03
Wobbly,

I fixed this problem on my old R by reprogramming the fob. Try it.

Adam.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 00:06
Adam, I will give it a whirl but I need new fob batteries first.

mraldonnelly
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 08:48
It's a tad worrying that all a thief needs to do to get around the immobiliser is to pull fuse 6.

A bit daft of Volvo really.

enrm6
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 09:30
Aren't the key's actually chipped though, so that the car won't start unless you actually use the proper key? I doubt the fuse gets past the immobiliser, just the central locking. I thought that is why we have to pay £70 for them?

Only guessing though.

enrm6
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 09:32
Oh, and I too recovered from a fob that just stopped working by reprogramming it - nothing to do with batteries.

Another thing I did was stripped down the fob and cleaned the contacts and generally got rid of the scum that had seemed to build up in there. Been a lot more reliable since.

Martinr
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 09:34
Similar thing happened to me in the Shrewbury park and ride car park a couple of months back. Returned to car loaded with shopping (remember not to take wife and/or credit card next time) and fob would not open the vehicle.

Opened car with key and the alarm went off. Impressed by the complete lack of effect this event had on the passers by!

I had no tools etc so I opened the back of the fob with a coin and fiddled with the batteries and result fob came back on line. I didn't need to reprogram.

Lasted till a week ago when same thing happened outside the house. Luckily, I have two fobs so switched to the other.

Bought two new batteries on the local market £2 each (CR1220 is the reference). Popped them in and the 'old' fob works fine. Again didn't need to reprogram. Am I just lucky?

nikgallagher
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 10:10
I used to have big problems with my clifford G4 alarm in supermarket car parks, having to put up with all sorts of antics when trying to lock and unlock the car. It turned out to be interference from mobile phone masts that were located on the top level!

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 10:16
Never fear. I have sorted it. New batteries in the fob. Alarm went off when I put back the fuse. Did the reprogramming thing - all is well again.

I was a little bothered myself about how easy it was to get round it - but I did have the key (and that does have the induction ring in it) - so panic yea not, my Volvo chums - I think our cars are quite safe. Still I took the coil lead off it last night, just to be on the safe side.

Mind you it didn't stop me having a wobbly moment, in so much that I forgot my laptop bag + PC and got to work only to have to turn around and go back and get it :doh:

DaveS60D5
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 16:09
Apart from one minor glitch last October when the immobiliser refuse to switch off despite the central locking fob working, I have had 14 months without any electrical issues. Until this evening

:mad111:

Locked car with the fob - as per usual. Went off and did stuff for an hour or two and came back. Approaching the car from the usual distance - pointed and fired at her - NOTHING. Got close and still NOTHING. Held fob to detector in middle of windscreen - NOTHING :ukliam2:

Can't open car. Can't start car!

Used key - alarm goes off - disconnected the car battery. Alarm stops when the battery is reconnected - but the flashing light tells me she thinks she is still locked. DAMN!

Eventually I called J and he helped me out with a few things but to no avail and he was on the way to come and help me sort it out. I found the CL fuse (#6) and pulled it. The car would start and Justin could do a U turn and go home (thanks J - you are a star anyway).
Obviously now I have no Central Locking and no alarm.

I am leaving the battery off and will look to get new fob batteries tomorrow. Bit odd - coz it was not that long ago since I replaced them. I am hoping that I can reprogramme the CL with the new fob batteries whilst the car is still alarmed (and a bit upset by all accounts).

Just a bit miffed - as I effing hate it when things are not spot on!

And he thinks I flap!!! :hilarious

Glad it's sorted Daveyboy :) It's not usually anything major with Volvos - emphasis on the "usually".... ;)

mraldonnelly
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 16:39
Mind you it didn't stop me having a wobbly moment, in so much that I forgot my laptop bag + PC and got to work only to have to turn around and go back and get it :doh:

DOH!

Don't you just hate it when that happens. I do it on average once a month. Usually happens when my daughter is playing up in the morning and I just want to get her in the car and go. I end up leaving my laptop by the door because I'm get my daughter in the car first.

siamblue
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 22:33
I do that with the kids bags on the school run in the morning,Sometimes they jump in . :band: the car without theirs school bags,I get to school then have told me where's my bag,Good excuse to drive the car though with my Music blaring