PDA

View Full Version : Power problem

Rnash2002
Sunday 15th October 2006, 21:42
Went to pod today,on the way there i hit what i think is fuel cut bit like the rover boost cut,like a jurke but hard and loss of power for a secound then power back on,was a bit worried,got to pod and done realy bad,15.8 using 7psi in first then 12.5 through the rest of the gears.
Next run was a 15.6 running 12.5psi from start to finish,the car just seemed flat,not as good as before the drive down.

Looking through this forum and found this link http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/t12400-p3-fao-diy-tuners.html it made good reading,my question is when the fuel cut happened did it tell the engine to retard the ignition to stop it or somthing like that,im just very puzzled buy it.
On the way back from pod the car still felt slugish and slow but about 100 miles into the journey it picked back up,had a play with a new golf r32 and he couldnt get by me on the duel carrige way.
Best thing happened tonight,got behined a t5 estate i was running 7psi and floored it and we were even all the way,once i got infront of him i run 12.5
psi and just left him so it seems its back to normal for my car running 12.5 psi
So think i should have been hight 14s at pod if the car was running right.

tomtyres
Sunday 15th October 2006, 21:53
I get that hard jerk, normally in 4th when i really give it some stick, my face nearly hits the bloody steering wheel??? always seems fine afterwards though! i've been told its something to do with fuel starvation??? :(

Niles
Sunday 15th October 2006, 21:57
Howdy tom, I mentioned it may be fuel cut, ask adam at VT, Toyota's (& other turbo broom brooms) have a similar problem, that for them is cured by a 'fuel cut defensor'. I really havnt a clue if it IS that but sounds similar to a supra I had. FCD cured it. Mite be an ECU controlled fuel cut, havnt a clue if its 'bypassable'. Again, Adams surely your best bet for a spot on answer on wether im nearly there with an answer mate.
How was the bingo?

Niles
Sunday 15th October 2006, 22:06
AS picked from the interweb. Is there such a bit of kit for volvos or is it just a £300 remap job?

The HKS FCD is an electronic device developed to properly raise the factory fuel cut level on factory turbocharged vehicles. As modifications are made to optimize engine performance, the factory fuel cut is often triggered by higher boost levels which activate a fuel delivery cut-off as a failsafe procedure. Symptoms of fuel cut are hesitation, bogging, and/or illumination of diagnostic indicators.

The electronic signal from the FCD will raise the fuel cut level to accommodate for the additional boost without triggering fuel cut and/or an engine diagnostic light. The FCD installation is designed to be easily integrated with the VPC/F-CON or factory ECU harness.

volvotuning
Sunday 15th October 2006, 22:12
Howdy tom, I mentioned it may be fuel cut, ask adam at VT, Toyota's (& other turbo broom brooms) have a similar problem, that for them is cured by a 'fuel cut defensor'. I really havnt a clue if it IS that but sounds similar to a supra I had. FCD cured it. Mite be an ECU controlled fuel cut, havnt a clue if its 'bypassable'. Again, Adams surely your best bet for a spot on answer on wether im nearly there with an answer mate.
How was the bingo?

Niles you are right! It is indeed the ECU cutting fuel when it detects an overboost situation. Even though the 850 ECU can't measure boost directly, it determines an overboost situation by the level of air flow measured by the MAF sensor.

Rnash2000, do a search on this site and you'll find several threads about this where I have explained the topic in great detail.

Adam.

Niles
Monday 16th October 2006, 00:14
Arn't I a clever sausage? lol. Adam, (to quote myself)...Is there such a bit of kit (FCD) for volvos or is it just a £300 remap job?

shaun850
Monday 16th October 2006, 00:16
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FUEL-CUT-DEFENDER-FCD-FOR-MR2-CELICA-3SGTE-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ160029447630QQihZ006QQcategoryZ320 94QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

volvotuning
Monday 16th October 2006, 00:20
Adam, (to quote myself)...Is there such a bit of kit (FCD) for volvos or is it just a £300 remap job?

I am not aware of an FCD kit for the Volvos. However, we are able to do a special ECU reprogram which removes this "overboost" fuel cut for a fraction of the price of a remap. We call it the DIY Tuner upgrade, and we raise or remove this overboost fuel cut, remove the speed limiter, and raise the rev limiter if required.

We take no responsibility for what you do with this upgrade though! However, it does then allow you to adjust the boost to whatever levels you like, and then use whatever means you like to add more fuel too.

If you do a search, there is a thread on here somewhere about this.

Adam.

Niles
Monday 16th October 2006, 00:43
I am not aware of an FCD kit for the Volvos. However, we are able to do a special ECU reprogram which removes this "overboost" fuel cut for a fraction of the price of a remap. We call it the DIY Tuner upgrade, and we raise or remove this overboost fuel cut, remove the speed limiter, and raise the rev limiter if required.

We take no responsibility for what you do with this upgrade though! However, it does then allow you to adjust the boost to whatever levels you like, and then use whatever means you like to add more fuel too.

If you do a search, there is a thread on here somewhere about this.

Adam.

How much pennies?