PDA

View Full Version : Drilled and grooved discs mmmmmm!

chalky
Sunday 15th October 2006, 21:28
Bought me self some lovely drilled and grooved discs recently and i must say they look the mutts!!! Has anyone else had the same prob though being that they are an absolute arse to run in!! 200 easy miles yer right! try about 400 and then some! still they are sorted now and are suuuperbbb!! is there much difference getting the rears done as i cant imagine them getting too hot?:icon_soap :blahblah:

t5 stealth
Sunday 15th October 2006, 21:41
iv done mine front & rear with drilled & grooved,
it stops really well,
i havnt really pushed them tho,

Baj
Monday 16th October 2006, 00:20
Get the rears done. It looks better ;)

smithson007
Monday 16th October 2006, 01:11
I ran a set of EBC drilled and grooved on the front first and when i came to do the rears you could tell the difference. Seems to pull the car up much better. What pads are you using?

nez
Monday 16th October 2006, 10:47
I've got EBC grooved and dimpled on mine, with red stuff pads.
They are ok, but I've found the pads too hard and the noise too much under heavy braking, not loud but there and spoilng Classic FM
Have also needed to change to dot5, and new lines to cope with the heat, this set seems to get very hot, very quickly.
Powerful brakes though, and no fade.

abdul
Monday 16th October 2006, 14:45
any pics

MIKESC70T5
Monday 16th October 2006, 16:01
I put ebc turbo groove discs and yellow stuff pads on the front of mine in July this year and two weeks ago put the same set up on the back.Look bloody luvley as i've also painted the calipers red.Performance wise,really impressed with little noise to boot.:)

T5chris
Monday 16th October 2006, 18:16
Bought me self some lovely drilled and grooved discs recently and i must say they look the mutts!!! Has anyone else had the same prob though being that they are an absolute arse to run in!! 200 easy miles yer right! try about 400 and then some! still they are sorted now and are suuuperbbb!! is there much difference getting the rears done as i cant imagine them getting too hot?:icon_soap :blahblah:

I've got black diamond drilled and grooved all round with matching pads, took me about 600-700 miles to run in, they were proper bitches for overheating at first. Now that they have done over 1000 miles they work amazingly, problem is you get too used to them and when you jump in another car without them you can get yourself in trouble, as I've found out in our other car(Mondeo ST220) a couple of times - Lol!!!

C...

chalky
Monday 16th October 2006, 20:21
:biggrin: :B_steerin Right then sounds to me like i better get me some drilled and grooved rears then (still got a new set of black diamond rear pads waiting to go on !) so can any of yaul give us a link to some nice people who can sell me some at a pleasing price???

Tomcat
Monday 16th October 2006, 20:27
I'm running drilled and grooved front and back, I bought them all off fleebay for less than £200, I'm also running cheapy motor factors pads. No problems at all, braking is great as a mate of mine can testify(scared the crap out of him recently), my only niggle is the pads squeel a bit.

chalky
Monday 16th October 2006, 20:57
I know where your coming from with the cheapy pads tomcat! im gonna replace my fronts as they squeal real bad when pulling up to junctions etc!! sounds like a train arriving!!!LOL!!

chalky
Monday 16th October 2006, 21:06
..exactly, the standard compound should work well on the road, plus the standard pad wont stress the discs much. They ll wear quicker, but its all realitive. Standard pad on roads /fastish road, and a harder pad for track as the pads wont run the risk of cracking under load/heat with the grooves chopping at the pads. lol. (fao TC: im getting squeel-age to, i think i havent put enough copper slip on, as i was paintin the calipers at the time of fitting the discs.)

e
Whats a good all round pad to get?:confused:

chalky
Monday 16th October 2006, 21:33
i dont know now mate, i only know mintex`s range of pads (at the time). Differant companys will vary in performance, but thats in racing circules, and even then people disagree. Talk to demon tweeks. They are a great go between, roady and racer. They give you a decent idea based on the fact you have drilled and grooved, and the weight of the car. They know whats soft medium and hard. :daisy:

www.demon-tweeks.co.uk they`ll have a expert idea of compounds to use, as they have a huge customer base of people who actually race, they`ll get feedback yada yada, so thats who ill recommend. If they are to expensive, try looking for the pad they recommend elsewear. Im trying not to sound "forum Anal", theres no great need to go mental indepth for your type of use, the reason i got involved in the convosation, is that i believe drilled and grooved discs arent as strong as normal, but then they cool much better, so less heat stress, (all realitive). I know OMP on ebay are a "fast road" pad, or slightly better pad than standard, id try those personally, they are um, £25 pounds front and £20 rear i think. They should be a improvent on standard, they dont advertise them as being something to use trackracing, so that might be a good go between. OMP are a good manufactuer of rally / racing product.

e

:Handshake Thanx barberepw top info i shall ave a butchers!:biggrin: