PDA

View Full Version : Strange Rattle & fix....

Blewis
Sunday 15th October 2006, 20:21
I've got a P2 V70, and I've had a "rattle" for some time.

When I went to VT Hamish and the lads had a poke and agreed with another Volvo Trained Tech that the Downpipe was "shagged", either that or the cat was rattling too, but it was difficult to work out why without taking it off etc, however VT had more important things to fix that day on my car!

The other Volvo Tech mentioned that the Flange on the downpipe to turbo has a terrible habit of cracking which can cause the rattling noise.

Fair dinks, so today me and my mate decided to get it sorted, after all my T5 ain't made for rattling.

It's good fun working without a set of ramp s!

Eventually we get the full section off, and sure as hell the flange is cracked - however it's been previously re-welded (albeit badly) and only on the outside.

So we get that sorted and suitably rewelded and give it a nice pressure test to ensure it's fine.

Then we discuss the rattle, and we both find it difficult to work out exactly what the rattle was being caused by as we don't find any reason for the rattle from the downpipe/cat....

So after some head scratching, I head underneath again, and start looking for things that could be rattling from that area.....

Eventually find that the wastegate appears to be rattling when I ping it...? So after some more headscratching and confusion my mate has a look and works out that the wastegate is open... (bearing in mind i'm non-mechanical!) And mentions that it really shouldn't be open at that moment in time :haha:

We get out his magic dial's and kit and he proceeds to test the diaphram? it steadfastly refuses to move, so we go into another stage of stripdown. And eventually find that the wastegate arm is absolutely rock solid. We have found that the host to the diaphram is slightly split and has probably been leaking hence it's not been working correctly which is probably how the arms gotten seized.

So after some work, sweat, cursing, blood and tears (from me!) we eventually free the arm so it's back how it should be. Reconnect everything again and retest, yay the arm moves and so does the wastegate. test test and test again and again.

Bolt everything back together and test everything twice.

Eventually start the car, and yayyyy no more effing rattle. Plus big bonus is that the cars picked up the poke that it appears to have lost recently and doesn't want to just tear my head off at 5000rpm+.

Niiice. Although any other views would be appreciated ;)

:B_steerin and v.happy :)

2Fast
Sunday 15th October 2006, 20:27
Jobs a good un, well done :beer:

Baj
Sunday 15th October 2006, 20:49
I know about the tears when my mate (a mechanic) was trying to get the bottom sprocket off to change the timing belt on mine last weekend. I had to walk away in the end as I was convinced he was gonna break something expensive