PDA

View Full Version : what oil do i buy

c70mel
Saturday 14th October 2006, 20:09
Hey all,

Well I get a feeling this question is asked many a times but....

My car has been serviced using fully synthetic oil, that is all i know though. What stuff do i get from Halfrauds tomorrow before my long drive? as my C70 needs topping!!!

I understand the magnatec magnet stuff is completely different to whats in mine at the moment? obviously I want to match the oil up as best I can.

Do I get 5w-30 basic Halfrauds stuff?

cheers any quick answers!

t5 stealth
Saturday 14th October 2006, 20:14
i just done oil & filter on mine last nite,
i used that new castrol 10/60 synthetic,
cant remember its new name but it was £65.00 for two 4 litre bottles.
looks & smells like any other oil but im sure there is a scientific goodness about it lol,says loads of plus things on the side of the bottle,
saying how good it is,like i can question it,
atleast there better be for that price lol

Storm-Troll
Saturday 14th October 2006, 20:16
Im told to use 10W - 40 on my R

t5 stealth
Saturday 14th October 2006, 20:20
this new castrol oil is supposed to keep a good viscosity the hotter it gets so oil pressure is always good regardless of temp & how hard you drive it,
& it has the magnatec qualitys
also proven with turbo engines,& apparently is less likely to be burnt in the engine,,not sure i understand that bit,lol

irf
Saturday 14th October 2006, 20:30
read this (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/t14195-what-oil-you-lot-recoment-for-my-t5.html) thread and then this (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/t11445-oil-labelling-explained.html) one. oilman knows his stuff, he's on quite a lot of forums. hth:)

Storm-Troll
Saturday 14th October 2006, 20:31
yep, it was oilman who told me what i should put in mine,,

dreadly
Saturday 14th October 2006, 21:15
I was told by Simon (Oilman) who works for http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ to use a fully synthetic fully ester based 10-40w

It's better for the turbo :)

Silkolene 10/40 or Motul - Order from there website :)

c70mel
Sunday 15th October 2006, 00:55
Think ill just get some fully synthetic 10w/30.

The main question was..... is it a problem if I mix whats already in the engine with another type? another type being the oil make and the oil rating? As basically I dont know whats in the engine at the moment!

dreadly
Sunday 15th October 2006, 09:33
Think ill just get some fully synthetic 10w/30.

The main question was..... is it a problem if I mix whats already in the engine with another type? another type being the oil make and the oil rating? As basically I dont know whats in the engine at the moment!

I'd check with Oilman, the T5 engine is a fairly old design now, you may find the 10/30 a little thin when it gets hot...

Could cause oil pressure issues.

c70mel
Sunday 15th October 2006, 09:58
minor point that I forgot to mention.... I havent got the T5 nor a turbo! just a 2.4 N/A

the mechanic from the garage who did the service said that fully synthetic is 5w 30 so I think ill just go and buy some of that. Its only to top it up until I go for the next service. Just didn't wanna mix 2 different types of oil.

siamblue
Sunday 15th October 2006, 09:59
10 40 it is, just make sure you change it on a regular basis, some peeps are changing it at 3k, I change mine at 5k, and every other change i replace the filter,

Gary,

dreadly
Sunday 15th October 2006, 13:06
For a none turbo 20v or 10v volvo I would go for a 10/40w semi-synth e.g. magnatec and change every 5-7k

dreadly
Sunday 15th October 2006, 13:24
minor point that I forgot to mention.... I havent got the T5 nor a turbo! just a 2.4 N/A

the mechanic from the garage who did the service said that fully synthetic is 5w 30 so I think ill just go and buy some of that. Its only to top it up until I go for the next service. Just didn't wanna mix 2 different types of oil.

10/30w can be semi or fully synthetic, it's also worth mentioning that although some oils are sold as synthetics, such as Castrol Mobil 1, it's not fully synthetic based. Motul and Silkolene 0-20w 10-30w or 10-40w are fully ester based. (£225 for 25 litres :( )

It doesn't really matter what oil you mix with it to top it up as it will blend in anyway, you could use a cheaper mineral based oil from Halfrauds because the synthetic ester package is contained in the oil allready in the engine, you are just diluting it slightly.
It is not so important what grade of oil to use if you don't have a turbo.
It doesn't hurt to mix oils of different grades, as long as they are within reason i.e. Don't put 30w monograde lawnmower oil into a T5 etc...

If you are having to top up ith oil then what you are using may be a little too thin, switch to a semi or fully synthetic 10-40w mix, you may find it won't 'eat' as much oil.

c70mel
Sunday 15th October 2006, 20:51
10/30w can be semi or fully synthetic, it's also worth mentioning that although some oils are sold as synthetics, such as Castrol Mobil 1, it's not fully synthetic based. Motul and Silkolene 0-20w 10-30w or 10-40w are fully ester based. (£225 for 25 litres :( )

It doesn't really matter what oil you mix with it to top it up as it will blend in anyway, you could use a cheaper mineral based oil from Halfrauds because the synthetic ester package is contained in the oil allready in the engine, you are just diluting it slightly.
It is not so important what grade of oil to use if you don't have a turbo.
It doesn't hurt to mix oils of different grades, as long as they are within reason i.e. Don't put 30w monograde lawnmower oil into a T5 etc...

If you are having to top up ith oil then what you are using may be a little too thin, switch to a semi or fully synthetic 10-40w mix, you may find it won't 'eat' as much oil.

Cheers for that info! very useful.

I was slightly concerned when I noticed the oil level had dropped quite a bit in a few months. I persume you can expect to loose a bit of oil in a 7 year old car? I have also been driving it pretty hard in the last few months so surely this hasn't helped :snail: (non T5 :))