PDA

View Full Version : Magic door locks

nealer
Friday 13th October 2006, 11:55
When i lock the car with the remote fob - sometimes (say 7 / 10 times) the driver door lock pops back up - I have to unlock & lock the car a couple of times before the lock goes down...

The freaky thing is, that its just over a year since I got the car. Back last Oct / Nov time it did exaclty the same thing - then went away.

Anyone come across this before - maybe the fob needs a new battery,,

neevo
Friday 13th October 2006, 12:01
I have the same fault after heavy rain. I think water is getting in and tripping something that tells it to open the doors again. Dousing the lock mechanisms with WD40 seems to reduce the problem but not solve it compltely :(

jim
Saturday 14th October 2006, 08:24
problem is the micro switch in the door lock. Volvo say replace the whole lock and charge you a pretty penny, you can do what is did and take as much apart as you can and clean it. Been ok for a few months now. Look for corroded contacts and loose connections.

Bit of a pig to do but better than leaving your car unlocked!!!!
________
VAPORIZERINFO.COM (http://johan-luis.tumblr.com/)

Nathlm
Saturday 14th October 2006, 08:32
This happend with my old discovery on a number of occassions - when it did we locked the door by the key.

jim
Saturday 14th October 2006, 09:25
Nat, when it happened to me tried that. The problem is it unlocks itself and you can't override this with the key.

Quick fix on my discovery: sold it and bought a landcruiser, they don't break down every other week. Trouble is sold that and bought a grand voyager and they do!
________
AIRSOFT GUNS (http://airsoft-shop.info/)

TJMurphy
Saturday 14th October 2006, 10:05
Nothing magic about this one unfortunately. As Jim said, it's the micro-switches and the door looks will need to be changed. And yes, it's not cheap.

Had two done on mine (under warranty).

Tony

nealer
Thursday 19th October 2006, 10:35
asked Mr Volvo for a quote and he laughed - never a good start ... going to see if its covered under my exteneded warranty (which runs out next week :( )

ade74uk
Thursday 19th October 2006, 12:06
yeah i got the same prob altough the passanger side....ok..you can laugh or even just shake your head at me ....but if I open the tailgate and shut it again it fixes it for a few weeks!.

Ok I will get my coat now..

dreadly
Thursday 19th October 2006, 12:40
yeah i got the same prob altough the passanger side....ok..you can laugh or even just shake your head at me ....but if I open the tailgate and shut it again it fixes it for a few weeks!.

Ok I will get my coat now..

It is probably the boot lock or the wiring going into the tailgate then.
The system will unlock automatically if it thinks something isnt locked properly.

nealer
Thursday 19th October 2006, 12:41
:crazy:

Going to try that! ... I found that if I lock the door (driver side pops up) .. open them .. put the lights on (using the wee yellow button on the fob) .. and lock them again ... it locks ok!

nealer
Thursday 19th October 2006, 12:44
I didn't expect Volvo to have these sort of minor electrical faults ... but i could be soo much worse - pressing the brake pedal on on old MGF (no haridresser jokes please) used to make the interior lights come on... the horn was also somehow linked to the wipers ... good solution was to never use the horn or brake.

S60-MBS
Thursday 19th October 2006, 13:42
Try performing a reset of the UEM (Upper Electronic Module), this controls the door locks and window operation:

- Close all of the doors and bonnet.
- Key in position II engine not running.
- Hold both the driver window and passenger window switches in the driver door panel in the closed or up position for 5 to 8 seconds after the windows are closed.
- Release buttons.
- Remove the ignition key.
- Operated the remote twice. lock/unlock lock/unlock.

This will reset the UEM brain. This can correct faulty operation of the sunroof and/or erratic door lock function.

in my car i had a similar sounding problem, i found it was stary signals from nearby antenna mast and some wifi..

nealer
Friday 20th October 2006, 17:33
Did the ol reset thing last night and worked a treat (well so far) - thanks for that?

BrightonBreezy
Friday 20th October 2006, 19:05
Try performing a reset of the UEM (Upper Electronic Module), this controls the door locks and window operation:

That's a good tip!

Wish I'd known about that before I paid Volvo to replace the passenger door lock five months ago. :mad:

jimmyc
Saturday 21st October 2006, 18:58
hi tried that bit to no avail, il do it again tomorrow and let you know how it goes,slammed doors a couple of times and no go so ill get haynes out tomorrow and have a go at cleaning the contacts,keep you all informed regards jim:Handshake

mde2711
Sunday 29th October 2006, 12:22
is this linked to an alarm problem I'm experiencing?

See below the problem:

I have a 2002 S60 with an alarm (or central locking) problem.
When I lock the car with the remote (the ignition key supplied with the car doesn't operate the car doors - long story!) I walk away from the car and after a few minutes the alarm goes off. If I leave it for a while it doesn't seem to cancel (and my neighbours give me dirty looks!). If I unlcok the car and relock it to reset it - it just goes off again and again (and the neighbours reach for their shotguns).
I've tried using the alarm cancel button, in the centre console, then locking the car with the remote - but the alarm still goes off after a few minutes.
I've checked and there doesn't seem to be anything still operating in the car, such as a mobile phone, that would trigger the sensors, I have also had the battery tested and it's absolutely fine.

The only option when exiting the car now is to avoid using the remote. Therefore I have to go through the complex system of climbing in the car, closing the door, pressing the 'lock all doors switch', then climb out and push the driver door catch down to lock it. Sometimes it pops back up again when I close the door - sometimes not.

I am totally baffled and wanted to know if anybody has a fix for this such as can you reset the system at all? is there any easy fix?
I'm loathed to go to a stealer to get this sorted, if there is an easy solution.

Thank you

mde2711
Sunday 29th October 2006, 13:10
just tried the reset above, but no joy, my drivers door switch still jumps up on its own whilst its friends stay in their little houses!