PDA

View Full Version : Ametech Engine restorer...

chewy
Wednesday 11th October 2006, 21:43
Hi all,
Has anyone had any thing to do with the use of Ametech engine restorer? I'm looking at using it on my V70 T5, as it increases the compression if they is any wear on the cylinder lining.
Obviously I'm going to check the compression first to see if it needs it or not. All the reviews I've read say its like magic but it seems to good to be true!
For no one who knows you add it to the oil and it apparently fill any scratches in the cylinders hence better compression.

Phill

thunderace
Wednesday 11th October 2006, 21:54
sounds too good to be true. lol

have you googled it? for problems that is

Blewis
Wednesday 11th October 2006, 22:37
Ahh More Snake Oil

SAMXPJ
Wednesday 11th October 2006, 22:43
Sounds like the stuff the dealers use before putting on the forecourt !

dreadly
Wednesday 11th October 2006, 23:37
Check out the engine oil bible

http://www.carbibles.com/additives.html

Blewis
Wednesday 11th October 2006, 23:49
And the most interesting part...

ADDITIVES AND TURBO ENGINES - READ CAREFULLY

There are certain brands of additives that make the claim that they'll "stop engine smoking" amongst other things. Now the way these work as I understand it, is by having some form of resin in solution form in the oil. The idea is that where the cylinder bores have become scored over years of use, oil is squirting past the piston rings and into the combustion chamber where it is being burned, hence the smokey engine. This resin makes the oil slightly thicker which helps it to seal those tiny scores whilst still lubricating the cylinder bores. The problem comes when this resin solution gets extremely hot - it turns hard. With most turbo systems, the bearings on the turbo get extremely hot, and the way around this is to use the engine oil to lube the bearings whilst at the same time transporting the heat away from them. When the additive finds its way into the turbo bearings, it can solidify and seize the turbo.
Now feel free to correct me if I'm wrong there. I've heard this from five different people now although I've not experienced it myself (I don't use additives, period). It seems that none of the additive manufacturers put any warnings about this on their products which leads me to believe that either (a) I'm wrong, or (b) they don't want you to know about this problem. I'd appreciate any further info or corrections on this subject from any of my readers if they have any.

pzorb
Wednesday 11th October 2006, 23:51
How can it possibly inrcrease compression - grow more metal on the piston rings?

SAMXPJ
Thursday 12th October 2006, 00:18
It just fills in the scratches on the bores stopping gas/oil escaping, there has been products like this around for generations, most work but not for long ! but with the event of turbos they cause more problems than they cure.

dreadly
Thursday 12th October 2006, 00:28
It works by making the oil thicker, this increases compression, however, this also causes problems with hydraulic valves and turbo's.

Don't use this crap.

chewy
Thursday 12th October 2006, 01:39
Think we'll be leaving the engine restore well alone.
Looked at a few other forums and everyone slates it saying its a waste of money, everyone except the person who joined that day and can't sing its praises enough... obviously a rep for Ametech.
Looking at their site they is only testimonials, no hard evidence to show it works.
I've emailed a lad who says he has an oil analysis on Ametech, but won't publish it on the forums so that he's been fair to all parties. Needless to say when I went on his website he didn't sell Ametech.
When I get the report I'll stick it on here unless anyone has any objections?

:bullwhip: Ametech rep I think!

Serdar-S60T5
Thursday 12th October 2006, 09:40
well if all this additive does is make the oil thicker, why don't you use a thicker oil from the start instead of it anyway? :wavey:

Niles
Thursday 12th October 2006, 18:34
be warned!!! my old 760 turbo was smoking a bit, I was advised to flop some stop smoke stuff into the engine. I did, drove home, NO SMOKE!!!!............. Drove it later & guess wot??!! No turbo boost!!! the stop smoke stuff has 'shellac' in it, its a very old type of varnish type stuff, when warm its fluid, when it cools it go's rock hard, siezing the bearings in the teeny oil ways in the turbo. PLEASE PLEASE check with the manufacturer that its shellac free & IS suitable for a turbo car. Please be very cautious of 'magic cures'. Mite work on a shagged 1973 Austin Maxi but i wouldnt plonk it in anything other than my lawnmower now!!

dreadly
Thursday 12th October 2006, 18:37
well if all this additive does is make the oil thicker, why don't you use a thicker oil from the start instead of it anyway? :wavey:

Exactly, like Castrol High-mileage oil... - It would be far far better.

SAMXPJ
Thursday 12th October 2006, 19:40
It does'nt just make the oil thicker it deposits mainly zinc in the areas where in comes into contact with O2 at high temperatures ie the bores, the problem is the zinc soon corrodes so it does'nt last long. The zinc would also be depositing in certain areas in the turbo which is really great!!! This is the way in which previous smoke stoppers etc have worked and I don't see Amtech being much different, as opposed to wynns & STP oil additives which just thicken the oil by adding long string polymers to it, which again break down with heat over a period and stop working, as I said earlier 'good for the dealers' .

chewy
Thursday 12th October 2006, 19:59
Had a look about and have got an analysis of the Ametech fluid, most of the metal particles are filtered out by the oil filter anyway!
I'm waiting to here back from the lad to see if he minds me forwarding it on to anyone who wants it, it really did make interesting reading.

dreadly
Thursday 12th October 2006, 20:01
Had a look about and have got an analysis of the Ametech fluid, most of the metal particles are filtered out by the oil filter anyway!
I'm waiting to here back from the lad to see if he minds me forwarding it on to anyone who wants it, it really did make interesting reading.

Word of warning, no answer is not permission... be careful

Also this was the case with Slick50 - It contains particles of Teflon, Teflon expands lots when it gets hot and gets filtered!!

chewy
Thursday 12th October 2006, 20:09
If I here nothing back then I'll have to keep it to myself, he's on a few other forums offering it if you email him, but like you say no answer is not permission.
It was an interesting read.
Am sticking to my normal oil and filter changes rather than putting out else in the oil.

oilman
Thursday 12th October 2006, 21:31
Don't touch it!

We had it chemically analysed and although I cannot post the report here you are welcome to email me for a copy of the results.

Take my word for it, you do not want this in your engine!

Cheers
Simon

chewy
Friday 13th October 2006, 12:05
Hi Simon,
I think it was you who I got the report from, are you down in Cornwall?
Didn't make very nice reading!

Thanks again Phill

dreadly
Friday 13th October 2006, 17:15
It was a shocking read! - Basically, it's lawnmower grade oil with added Vasaline and some old shards of metal.

Won't do any engine much good, may be ok in a lawnmower, but wouldn't reccomend it...