PDA

View Full Version : cooling the turbo....

Babybadger
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 00:07
So how long can you have full boost running on a rica 304 before it starts getting tooooo hot?

And how long should you leave the engine running to cool her down after a good blast?

volvotuning
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 00:13
So how long can you have full boost running on a rica 304 before it starts getting tooooo hot?

And how long should you leave the engine running to cool her down after a good blast?

You can run at full boost as long as you like.

Same as on a standard car. A few minutes idle if you are stopping right after a hard blast, or just drive gently for the last few miles of your journey to let the turbo cool down.

Adam.

rich850t5
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 00:23
Adam i removed the heatshield around the turbo to adjust the acc rod but haven't put it back on yet,are there any problems i might encounter with it removed thanks Rich

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 00:26
Get yourself a turbo timer fitted.

Mine automatically counts up everytime the turbo kicks in, then counts down when turbo is at idle. As a result I often have the engine running for about 30-40 seconds by the time I've parked up at my works car park....

I wouldn't have thought that a RICA'd cars turbo would run at any higher temperature as a normal one..

When I ran my track day I was advised to run for one lap at gentle speed to not only let the turbo cool but also to let the brake discs gradually reduce temp without warping which should also be a consideration for you...

If you can't resist driving hard for the last couple of miles just a couple of minutes should be enough...(beware of your brake discs though)...

Andrew
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 08:51
Judge - can you send me the details of your turbo timer ?

Babybadger
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 15:12
Judge - can you send me the details of your turbo timer ?

Are they really necessary? I usually allow a gentle last mile (unless under duress) and 1-2mins on the driveway before switching off the motor.

Thanks for the advice on the brakes, I didn't know that, mind you I only have the odd blast and never at speeds over 100mph if I can help it, and as you know with a RICA 304 , that's bloody hard to look at the speedo while wrestling the torque steer.

Al115
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 21:54
Rich - if you don't have the heatshield in place (I presume you mean the upper one) then your brake fluid will heat up... and up... and up... :nono:

Alastair

rich850t5
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 22:07
Rich - if you don't have the heatshield in place (I presume you mean the upper one) then your brake fluid will heat up... and up... and up... :nono:

AlastairCheers AL i'll pop that back on then :)

Justin
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 22:09
Ali, i have never had a problem on 5 T5's with no heat shield, have you heard of anyone that has ?

rich850t5
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 22:18
Ali, i have never had a problem on 5 T5's with no heat shield, have you heard of anyone that has ?Ahh so its no big issue then Justin?

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 03:03
I've melted my heat shield...!!!!!- although that was when my exhaust fell off.....

Turbo timers - Yep you're right they are a total waste of time if you like spending 2-3 minutes looking like an idiot in a car park just to let your car cool down.....personnally I like the fact I can drive into work, get out lock car and go and do something else.....Each to their own I think...
Mine actually works out if I need to run the car at all. So if I've done only a gentle run into work the car will stop straight away....

Andrew,

The Turbo Timer I've got is the older version of the Blitz auto Turbo timer DC. I bought it though E-bay secondhand out of an MR2. I wouldn't worry too much if they say it is for a specific car as it it only the wiring loom attachment that is different and you won't need to use it.. If you check out thread by Pedro (wiring problem with Turbo timer) I posted some photos there.... you may not see them though..

Also you are one scotchlocking into wires so removal is really easy without any damage..

I've now fitted a Blitz to mine; a Apexi to a Rover; and check the wiring on a HKS one in a Skyline and all the basic colour wires are identical (power/Acc/ingnition etc)... It's all the extra functions that comes with them makes it look complicated......

If you find one you like I can always give you my impartial advice if wanted...