PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please

Redbrick
Monday 9th October 2006, 19:33
Clutch is slipping after 3 months of ownership and 3000 miles on my D5 with 83K on the clock. I have a years warranty for the usual stuff.

I have been loyal to this garage in the past and they have done loads of bits under warranty to my 850 (ABS ECU, aircon, rear oil seal etc etc). They know their stuff and I'd recommend them but at the end of the day they are out to make money (aren't we all!). Should I have to pay anything for this repair?

Do I shug my shoulders and say £££££ happens, its a wear and tear item? I hit the gamble button and it didn't come up!

Do I get upset as I've had the car three months?

What would you do?

What is a resonable resolution?

BlackBeast
Monday 9th October 2006, 19:41
They pay for the labour, you pay for the part.

Vikingxl
Monday 9th October 2006, 19:43
Three months is not a long time but these things do happen i would be tempted to see if they will go halves on the bill as half is better than nothing.

blackwolf t5
Monday 9th October 2006, 19:55
I would go for all of it.

blackwolf t5
Monday 9th October 2006, 20:08
On reflection could I ask did you buy the car or/and the warranty from them.

dicky b t5
Monday 9th October 2006, 21:12
Thought this was the idea of having a Warrenty....Anything goes wrong, they fix it.
I'd want it done meself. DB.:mad:

blackwolf t5
Monday 9th October 2006, 21:15
Absolutely.

The Flying Banana
Monday 9th October 2006, 21:19
I would approach them with the loyalty card. You have dealt with them long time and you know your stuff. The car seemed fine when it was bought and a warranty taken.However to be only 3000 miles down the line i would be looking to get it replaced with no cost. They will deal you the wear and tear card but again i would stick to the fact you are loyal and are not too happy...worst comes to the worst go for the earlier suggestion of paying for the part or paying a % of parts and labour but hold out for long time before you do !!

MIKESC70T5
Monday 9th October 2006, 22:31
I would be firm but polite and point out you have always been very happy with pass work done etc,drop into the conversation this forum and how much influence it can have on swaying possible new buisness etc etc.

If you have a warranty,does it say it covers items like clutches because i think they are classed as wear and tear items.

Redbrick
Monday 9th October 2006, 23:17
Thanks for the replies :)

Yes a clutch is not covered but I believe it is if another non-wear and tear part has failed leading to that failure. Fingers crossed that that is the case ;)

It's booked in in the morning so I shall wait and see.

It's not something that can be put off, it's getting worse rapidly.

Been driving the wifes Rica'd Passat the last few days... I WANT MY VOLVO BACK:mischievo I used to think the Passat was rapid but I'm now thinking thats broken as well! It's scary how quickly your driving style changes to accomodate diesels low down torque.

Redbrick
Tuesday 10th October 2006, 18:49
They tell me there is nothing wrong with the clutch now it is in bits. GUTTED

Confused as to what the problem is now AND out of pocket!

What else would cause the symptoms of a slipping clutch?

T5ER
Tuesday 10th October 2006, 18:52
They tell me there is nothing wrong with the clutch now it is in bits. GUTTED

Confused as to what the problem is now AND out of pocket!

What else would cause the symptoms of a slipping clutch?
is the hydraulic release bearing working ok as this could be the cause,which if it is i think they are covered on warranty