PDA

View Full Version : Petrol...?

mat562be
Monday 9th October 2006, 14:24
I drive a V70 T5, with a 299 bhp BSR conversion. My general home-to-work-and-pottering-about mpg is 25-26 mpg. I habitually run on Sainsburys 97 RON petrol. I know, I know, but I live a couple of miles from a supermarket and it'd convenient and cheap.

I recently ran down to the south coast, and had an 800 mile round-trip. Journey down, I ran a tank of Tesco 99 RON. I occasionally use it, but I generally find it's not good at delivering good mpg.. Got 25.6mpg, travelling at 85-95 most of the way, cruising on motorway/A roads.

On the way back, filled up with Shell 95 RON, as there was nothing else available. Same conditions, route, driving style, speed etc. Got 27.5 mpg...?!?

Does anyone find that certain fuels are better than others? The Tesco 99RON seems to provide a very smooth run, but crappy mpg.. Sainsbury's 97 RON is the same, but better mpg. Total 97 RON is similar to Sainsbury's stuff.

I would be interested to hear anyone's thoughts and experiences. Conventional wisdom says it shouldn't make much difference, but a change in petrol seems to have an appreciable effect. The Tesco 99 RON lierally seems to be 2-3 mpg worse over a full tank..?

Only forecourts near to me are Sainsburys, tesco (with the 99 RON petrol), Total, and a Shell, which is a bit of a trek. There is also a Murco forecourt near to work...

volvotuning
Monday 9th October 2006, 14:28
I drive a V70 T5, with a 299 bhp BSR conversion. My general home-to-work-and-pottering-about mpg is 25-26 mpg. I habitually run on Sainsburys 97 RON petrol. I know, I know, but I live a couple of miles from a supermarket and it'd convenient and cheap.

I recently ran down to the south coast, and had an 800 mile round-trip. Journey down, I ran a tank of Tesco 99 RON. I occasionally use it, but I generally find it's not good at delivering good mpg.. Got 25.6mpg, travelling at 85-95 most of the way, cruising on motorway/A roads.

On the way back, filled up with Shell 95 RON, as there was nothing else available. Same conditions, route, driving style, speed etc. Got 27.5 mpg...?!?

Does anyone find that certain fuels are better than others? The Tesco 99RON seems to provide a very smooth run, but crappy mpg.. Sainsbury's 97 RON is the same, but better mpg. Total 97 RON is similar to Sainsbury's stuff.

I would be interested to hear anyone's thoughts and experiences. Conventional wisdom says it shouldn't make much difference, but a change in petrol seems to have an appreciable effect. The Tesco 99 RON lierally seems to be 2-3 mpg worse over a full tank..?

Only forecourts near to me are Sainsburys, tesco (with the 99 RON petrol), Total, and a Shell, which is a bit of a trek. There is also a Murco forecourt near to work...

Tesco 99 will generally be worse on economy than say Shell V Power and Optimax. When I have a little spare time, I will explain why, with a little bit of science.

Adam.

Andrew
Monday 9th October 2006, 14:31
Surely - a lot of this can't really be measured any where but in a lab? it's down to driving technique and hills/roads etc.

I use 99RON all the time for example - and generally on day to day drive get 22-24mpg. However if I fill up and drive conservativly I can get it up to 28mpg fairly easily - i just keep the revs down.

volvotuning
Monday 9th October 2006, 14:40
Surely - a lot of this can't really be measured any where but in a lab? it's down to driving technique and hills/roads etc.

I use 99RON all the time for example - and generally on day to day drive get 22-24mpg. However if I fill up and drive conservativly I can get it up to 28mpg fairly easily - i just keep the revs down.

It's not the RON that's responsible for the economy drop! ;)

Adam.

mat562be
Monday 9th October 2006, 14:41

I agree. But, having used Tesco 99 sporadically since it became available in my area, I always find it's about 2 mpg worse than other high-octane petrols, all other variables being equal. A friend told me that the bioethanol, used to boost the RON is the culprit.

I don't wnt to start an argument.. I'm just genuinely curious as to the differences in fuels and the whys and wherefors..

Andrew
Monday 9th October 2006, 14:42
It's not the RON that's responsible for the economy drop! ;)

Adam.

Exactly - the point I was trying to make is it's difficult to accuratly tell the MPG differences in a fuel outside of a lab with controlled conditions.

Andrew
Monday 9th October 2006, 14:44
Yeah it wouldn't supprise me. But if it's economy you're after get a tractor otherwise stick 99ron in get a custom tune and drive on :P

:B_steerin

:thewave:

volvotuning
Monday 9th October 2006, 14:45
Exactly - the point I was trying to make is it's difficult to accuratly tell the MPG differences in a fuel outside of a lap with controlled conditions.

Yes that is very true!

Adam.

nealer
Wednesday 11th October 2006, 17:39
why is everyone getting more mpg than my stock S60 2.4T :( 21mpg is a good day now....

Andrew
Wednesday 11th October 2006, 17:41
Done a stage 0 ? :)

blackwolf t5
Wednesday 11th October 2006, 17:50
Have a 51 plate v70 t5 geartronic & use tesco 97 ,only done about 500 miles since I bought it & all local mileage now showing average of 18.6 mpg.

t5owner
Thursday 12th October 2006, 10:15
Have a 51 plate v70 t5 geartronic & use tesco 97 ,only done about 500 miles since I bought it & all local mileage now showing average of 18.6 mpg.

Ouch that hurts

I average 22 mpg on just local trips on standard unleaded but if i stick in shell v-power as it is now i get 28 mpg for the same journeys but then mine is a manual and auto`s will eat a bit more juice but i wouldn`t think it would be that much unless of course you have a lead right foot

Cheers

stuart

Mad955i
Thursday 12th October 2006, 10:16

There are several answers, one of which is to do with the fact that higher-RON fuel has a predetermined shelf-life, normally around 2 weeks, so fresh fuel will always be more responsive than fuel that's sat in a local back-street garage for 2 months.

The other answer is that the newer generation fuels are more responsive, RON for RON, as they have additional additives; the more responsive the fuel, the less you need to press on the loud pedal for the same effect when you're on light throttle.

I also have a Clio 172, the difference in cheap petrol compared to decent 97/98 RON is instantly noticeable in throttle response, so the point where 95 RON gets around 35mpg on a tank, with 97/98 RON nearer 38mpg.

It's purely down to me not having to give as much loud pedal to maintain speed, so it's perception more than actual science.

Regards

HSS786
Thursday 3rd July 2008, 19:32

Hello Im Sid ive a 2000 X v70 t5 geartronic and I get 17.5 MPG :( around town, fill up with Total Unleaded spending more than £40 on petrol per week

dave stew
Monday 7th July 2008, 19:33
Is it an auto?

HSS786
Monday 7th July 2008, 22:29
yes it is the Semi-auto called Geartronic

Volvo Family
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 12:27
I get about 18MPG from my 2.4T auto around town too, always use V Power. Over the weekend I did a trip from London to Cambridge then Leicester so decided to see the best economy I could get out of it was. Averaged 32MPG!! Unlikely I'll drive like that again though.

entwisi
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 12:47
Three letters guys

LPG

:D

22/23 mpg at 85 at 51p/litre

(V70 2.3 T5 engined auto)

Tomcat
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 12:51
Your not going to see much more than that around town, wether its auto or manual, it's the only down side of owning a T5. Get it on a motorway though and you should see more like 30mpg.

Alan M
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 13:44
The joys of owning a T5, lol.

HSS786
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 16:51
Three letters guys

LPG

:D

22/23 mpg at 85 at 51p/litre

(V70 2.3 T5 engined auto)

I am considering converting to LPG, is yours the P2 2.3 T5 or the old P1? and how much did the conversion cost?

Thanks

GreenMachine
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 19:19
It's not just the fuel - had my rear wheels retracked a month ago - getting 2 mpg better now!

P2 2.3 T5(manual)STD 33.4mpg ave speed 36mph - can't go faster round here!

entwisi
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 12:17
Mines a P1

Should cost you ~ £1800-£2K for a decent kit, I would recommend Prins, others on here have BRC. With the rising cost of petrol payback is ~ 25K miles. This is my 3rd LPG vehicle( which I have had done) after a Alfa 155 twin spark and a Saab 9000. The 'standard' toroidal tank for a V70 P1 is only 60-odd litres, on mine I was happy for them to use a heavy foot to slightly reshape the front of the well and I got a 77 litre tank in with the boot floor raised 1". They only fill to 80% full and I get ~300 miles range from my full tank of gas. I still have teh full sized Petrol tank as well should I feel the urge to.

When it comes to sourcing fuel, "petrol stations" are the most expensive places, Calor outlets and farm shops are usually the cheapest. Some even run account services so its easier to budget.

The last two conversions were done by Motorgasconversions of Accrington(http://www.motorgasconversions.com/) who have been doing LPG for about 10 yeras now and are VERY good at their job. Speak to Simon if you want to ring them up. They won't bull you and would rather tell you up front if they believe there are any issues.

LesRED850R
Thursday 17th July 2008, 01:36
Gday T5OWNER ! Hvent seen you on here for ages and i always get a laugh from you avatar!! Now i use 98 ron that has 10% ethanol and my 850R loves it , usually when i HAVE to put Shnail Vpower in it uses more fuel...if i use MOBIL 98 which i get from the servo over the road from the refinery [fresh] it goes hard and uses less fule compared to SCHNEL 98. So find the servo that sells the fuel your car feels good with and if you were me you dont like SHNAIL/SCHNELL,,,whatever...