PDA

View Full Version : can catch tank replace pcv?

irf
Saturday 7th October 2006, 15:12
hey guys, time to show off my stupidness:doh: but if i dont ask i wont know.
right, on my car the pcv obviously needs doing as if i pick the dipstick up with the engine running, some smoke starts coming out.
no problem, it is something i will get round to at some point, but in the meantime, would i be able to solve the problem by fitting a catch tank(i have one lying about) or am i missing the point somewhere?

irf
Saturday 7th October 2006, 19:35
anyone?:wavey:

BlackBeast
Saturday 7th October 2006, 19:42
Sort your pcv system out with all new pipes and canister and while you are there fit your catch can inline to the intake pipe :)

irf
Saturday 7th October 2006, 19:48
thanks for answering blackbeast, but a couple of things, being less technical than a very technically challenged thing what do you mean by inline with the inline pipe.what inline pipe?:help:
also, like i say, i know that i need to/will do the pcv properly, but am broke at the moment(hence no lowering either), but as i've got the catch tank i could do this tomorrow and relieve any pressure building up at least temporarily.
any help welcomed people, thanks.
like my new sig;)

BlackBeast
Saturday 7th October 2006, 20:37
Have a look at VolvoSpeed and do a search on there. It will show you how to properly plumb a catch can in. If you ££££ it up then you can blow any number of seals throughout the engine.

If you wanted to just use the catch can then you would need to take the inlet manifold off, take the black seperator box off, you will then have around 5 or 6 pipes of various sizes that need to be connected to your catch can.

How many connection ports does your catch can have? :) Im guessing only 2.

irf
Saturday 7th October 2006, 21:35
again, thanks blackbeast, so it's not as easy as i thought, but at least i know why now, cheers:)
will do a search on volvospeed as well