PDA

View Full Version : Front Discs

t51995
Monday 11th April 2005, 18:02
Hello, this is my first visit to the site and I would like some advice and oppinions. I need some new front discs and pads for my 1995 T5 Estate. I do about 6,000 miles a year, I'm a steady driver, only break hard in emergencies and occasionaly tow a caravan( don't tell Jeremy Clarkson please ). Iv'e looked on the net and made a few phonecalls and am a bit confused with prices and makes. I don't have much cash to spare and found that Euro Car Parts can supply discs made by Guttmann for £19.99 each and pads by the same manufacturer for £11.54, not including VAT. This seems like a good price to me, but I don't want to buy rubbish!. Anyone else had dealings with ECP or this manufacturer?, your comments would be most welcome, thanks. :wiggle:

Andrew
Monday 11th April 2005, 18:07
ECP are a good supplier and as you've stated your looking for cheap and you're not a mad driver therefore I don't think there is any point in you buying performance brakes. I'd say it makes sense and to go for it but just wait a while for some of the experts around here to chip in their pennys worth.

rich850t5
Monday 11th April 2005, 19:10
ECP are a good supplier and as you've stated your looking for cheap and you're not a mad driver therefore I don't think there is any point in you buying performance brakes. I'd say it makes sense and to go for it but just wait a while for some of the experts around here to chip in their pennys worth.Thats strange andrew you use brembo disks and ferodo pads which (i believe)some rate very highly on here,and there not that much more than what has been quoted, i mean you wouldn't put crap tyres on a car this big and quick why compromise on the most important part BEING ABLE TO STOP!put cheap parts where there not so important and spend good money on the very important ones.(i'm not ranting it's just my belief) you just might regret it one day!

siamblue
Monday 11th April 2005, 19:20
Or you could get what my car has Lots of money spent on Turbo groove and drilled 302mm 298mm discs with Redstuff pads,They are utterly ££££e,If i use them too often and heat them up,Fade on these is very dangerous.

rich850t5
Monday 11th April 2005, 19:24
Or you could get what my car has Lots of money spent on Turbo groove and drilled 302mm 298mm discs with Redstuff pads,They are utterly ££££e,If i use them too often and heat them up,Fade on these is very dangerous.IT'S ALL ABOUT QUALITY!

siamblue
Monday 11th April 2005, 19:26
These are supposed to be quality at that price,But a set of Brembo discs and DS2500 would out stop mine for sure.

Martinr
Monday 11th April 2005, 19:50
Check out GSF. They list Brembo discs at £21.00.

rich850t5
Monday 11th April 2005, 20:26
Check out GSF. They list Brembo discs at £21.00.there £22+vat at my local gns :wow:

Wobbly Dave
Monday 11th April 2005, 22:39
Best disks £ for £ are the Brembo's. You will need to change your pads when you change your disks. The budget Ferodo's are very good - namely the premier pads, guaranteed no fade. You can go for Volvo standard which I believe are mintex. Stay clear of EBC.

BTW :welcome:

Enjoy the Forums. I hope that you will stick around once your brakes are sorted.

rich850t5
Monday 11th April 2005, 23:38
Hello, this is my first visit to the site and I would like some advice and oppinions. I need some new front discs and pads for my 1995 T5 Estate. I do about 6,000 miles a year, I'm a steady driver, only break hard in emergencies and occasionaly tow a caravan( don't tell Jeremy Clarkson please ). Iv'e looked on the net and made a few phonecalls and am a bit confused with prices and makes. I don't have much cash to spare and found that Euro Car Parts can supply discs made by Guttmann for £19.99 each and pads by the same manufacturer for £11.54, not including VAT. This seems like a good price to me, but I don't want to buy rubbish!. Anyone else had dealings with ECP or this manufacturer?, your comments would be most welcome, thanks. :wiggle:I forgot to say hi sorry about that and :welcome: :thewave:

After_Shock
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 00:25
Dont go with black diamond even if someone offers them to you for free, they are that bad!

Andrew
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 08:53
I got what I did cos I drive hard - damn hard - and the cost is at least twice what has been quoted. If he's a normal driver and on a budget then I don't see any problem with the budget cost.

t51995
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 17:02
Thanks for your replies. You have given me something to think about. Looks like Brembo with Ferodo pads is favorite. What about Pagid pads? :rolleyes:

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 17:13
Think they are about the same standard as the Mintex. BTW if anyone says that their pads are dustless - call 'em a liar (from me)

rich850t5
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 20:57
Thanks for your replies. You have given me something to think about. Looks like Brembo with Ferodo pads is favorite. What about Pagid pads? :rolleyes:i've got pagid's on my honda accord and they are excellent i have not managed to get them to fade but the ebc disks have had it,they cant take a lot of heat!Not sure if they make them for the volvo range if they do that'll be my own personal choice JUST MINE OK :D

t51995
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 09:56
Thats it then!, Iv'e ordered brembo dics and pagid pads. No turning back. Does that mean I can drive like a nutter now?.lol
:argue: