PDA

View Full Version : T5 Mods for dummies

madleee
Thursday 5th October 2006, 16:01
Hi, newb here.

Couple of Q's.

I want a T5 to be a sleeper, and will be debadging (does boiling water help?)

Are strut braces simple to fit?

Where do you site a MBC? Does it go on the dash, and the plastic tubing routed through the bulkhead and around to the wastegate on the turbo?

Do people mount them in full view or discreetly under the dash or in the glovebox?

Will OE brakes handle the addition of an MBC?

End on interrogation.

Lee

Rnash2002
Thursday 5th October 2006, 16:06
Hi and welcome,are you looking for a electronic boost controler? if its a manual one then would be better fitted and left in the engine bay.
Strut brace is easy to fit and been told is a good mod.
Brakes are pritty good standard i think anyway lol,all depends on how you drive the car to weather you need to upgrade them.

tomtyres
Thursday 5th October 2006, 16:29
Hello mate, my MBC is fitted through the bottom left of my dash, discreet but useable (you can tweek it on the move!). My original brakes r ok until you drive it hard 4 over 15mins (track-day) they start to get very hot and quite juddery?? otherwise ok!!! Have fun! :)

dreadly
Thursday 5th October 2006, 16:30

End on interrogation.

Lee

The standard brakes are fairly good, use the site search facility, there have been many 'arguments', sorry discusions regarding brake options in the past. Most people seem to stick to standard Vovlo Disks, they are good quality and upgrade the pads to either Police spec or Ferrodo DS2500 pads.
Police spec pads can be purchased through any vovlo main stealer or through my preffered route, Marshal Volvo mail order, 01664 562556.
You need to find out if you have 280 or 305mm disks, they may be able to tell you.
Vovlo OE rear brake pads are fine and come with a full pin kit included.

T5chris
Thursday 5th October 2006, 16:48
Hi, I fitted Black Diamond Discs and pads all round on my C70 T5 as I found the standard brakes used to suffer from fade after 10-15 mins of hard driving.

I chose the drilled and grooved discs, at first they were a bitch to run in but now that they've been on a while she really brakes well - much better than standard.

Also have a think about suspension mate, I have fitted Koni adjustables to the C70 and did it on my old 850 T5 and they really tightened the cornering abilities up.

Babybadger
Thursday 5th October 2006, 17:59
Hi, newb here.

Couple of Q's.

I want a T5 to be a sleeper, and will be debadging (does boiling water help?)

Are strut braces simple to fit?

Where do you site a MBC? Does it go on the dash, and the plastic tubing routed through the bulkhead and around to the wastegate on the turbo?

Do people mount them in full view or discreetly under the dash or in the glovebox?

End on interrogation.

Lee

On the badge front, just use some fishing wire or even dental floss, and slice in a cheese board cutting action....behind the badge. Water doesnt really matter. Then rub the gluey compound off using your finger until it has all gone. Then t-cut the area and polish ......job done. Mine now looks like a wannabee 'T5' until I show these boy racers it is! But I don't get the rs turbo boys looking at my old 'turbo' badge on the back anymore and offering me for a race!

Strut brace is a 30 minute job to a 1-spanner man. Just remember to replace the bolts you loosen off with new ones. Don't use the same old nuts. They will be already weaker. You will get a nice tight fit with new ones anyway. Don't buy OMP strut brace unless yours is a LHD. Volvo stock ones are around about £75 so hardly any difference.

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/default.php?cPath=28_454

I have got Brembo discs and Ferodo standard pads on mine and they are the business. When you change them (i.e. when they are very worn) I would suggest getting this as a good over standard setup. Also check the size of them. If the wheels are the standard 16" 5 spoke alloys , then you have 280mm front discs. Some people upgraded to 17" and the front discs to 302mm - as per old police spec, although having a set of 17" wheels doesn't guarantee that you have 302mm disks. You can upgrade to this size with a set of 17's and new caliper mounting brackets. Do a search on here about this. I think they keep the same calipers. That is a very good cheapish upgrade.

BlackBeast
Thursday 5th October 2006, 18:40
Strut brace is a 30 minute job to a 1-spanner man. Just remember to replace the bolts you loosen off with new ones. Don't use the same old nuts. They will be already weaker. You will get a nice tight fit with new ones anyway.

Dont agree with you there, its 6 nuts iirc, take them off, put the strut brace in place, put the nuts back on and torque them up. How can that take 30mins? Plus you do not need new nuts, your just wasting money doing that!

madleee
Thursday 5th October 2006, 18:55
thanks for the welcome and for the replies.
I debadged my 740 using a plastic spatchlia to remove badge and then dissolved glue with lighter fluid. I asked about boiling water because someone on the VOC mentioned it and wanted more opinions on it.

The MBC's I have seen on eBay look like a tap with a black tube coming off.
I guess that these are manual ones.
I wanted to stick with the 16" Columbus alloys 'cos the prices I have seen for 17" rubber are silly prices.

Has anyone any experience of fitting an ATF cooler?
I intend to tow a carrotvan (verry fast, broo hah ha ha...)

tomtyres
Thursday 5th October 2006, 19:14
if any of you guys are local to the KENT area, then I can usually get 'sensible' prices on all sizes of tyres!! try me?? :)

Andy
Thursday 5th October 2006, 19:17
Dont agree with you there, its 6 nuts iirc, take them off, put the strut brace in place, put the nuts back on and torque them up. How can that take 30mins? Plus you do not need new nuts, your just wasting money doing that!

I got new nuts with mine so I used them instead of the old ones. Took about 10mins to fit.

Andrew
Thursday 5th October 2006, 19:19
> I want a T5 to be a sleeper, and will be debadging
Dental floss behind the badges nice slow side to side movement brings them right off then a bit of wd-40 or warm water with soap will take any remaining glue off.

> Are strut braces simple to fit?
Very six nuts...

> Will OE brakes handle the addition of an MBC?
Should be ok - but if you can afford to upgrade do.

Andrew.

Vikingxl
Thursday 5th October 2006, 19:35
WD4O for the glue

MIKESC70T5
Thursday 5th October 2006, 20:14
I fitted the genuine volvo strut brace in ten minutes and it included new nuts.All from the main dealer for £67 inc vat.

As for brakes it's a personal thing which brand you use.My t5r had 280mm standard front discs and 295mm rear discs.I replaced the fronts in June with EBC turbo groove 280mm ones and EBC yellow stuff pads which gave a great improvement.Yesterday i replaced the rears using EBC again.Some people dont rate EBC but as i say it's each to his own and i highly recommend them.

rs_andy
Thursday 5th October 2006, 20:58
best thing for removing the sticky bits of your badges is Autoglym intensive tar remover. Gets goo off like nothing else, trust me.

wootty
Friday 6th October 2006, 15:57
ive used petrol lighter fluid for de-badgin,just dont light up a fag for a while:nut: