PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox updates

MarkGolf
Monday 11th April 2005, 17:25
I've been using the car, appears to be fine.. but I haven't driven it for over 40 mins (used to cut drive after 40 mins)

Been working 100% fine, slow driving, hard driving e.t.c
Well, today, had it looked over, the guy reakons the box has gone, but i think thas due to the ££££e mix of fluid i got in there.. so 100% pulling my finger out and changing it tomorrow, if the red fluid turns a dirty colour after a few days, I will 100% get shot of the car via a part ex or something.. Only option really..

No one can put their finger on how the box can work for 40 mins, then give way..

Only explanations I've had are, clutch plates heating up and loose 'grip' as it were... But all of a sudden????
ECU packing its bags when it gets too hot... (kinda like that one)

and thats it really...
Where is the box ecu, if someone has an ecu I can quickly experiment with, wud be much appreciated!
THANKS!

MarkGolf
Monday 11th April 2005, 17:26
Whoopss, shud be in the 850 forum..
sorry

rich850t5
Monday 11th April 2005, 18:30
Only explanations I've had are, clutch plates heating up and loose 'grip' as it were... But all of a sudden????
ECU packing its bags when it gets too hot... (kinda like that one)

and thats it really...
Where is the box ecu, if someone has an ecu I can quickly experiment with, wud be much appreciated!
THANKS!Hi mark i used to work on auto box's when i first left school (a long long time ago)and it sounds like it could have a sticking valve,now ive never looked at one of these box's but i would have thought the principles would be the same,older auto box's have a valve block in side and the valves slide in and out(ie c3+borg warner's)when we were recon'ing these types we would have to take the valve block out and sand the valve with wet and dry 2000grit to insure a smooth gear change.Now im not saying that this is the case with your box and im sure the experts we correct me but i thought i might as well mention it GOOD LUCK :bricks: :bricks: :bricks: :bricks: :bricks: :brokenhea

MarkGolf
Monday 11th April 2005, 19:46
Yeah, i've had a few comments on a 'valve' due to bad old fluid..
Anyway of sorting this without major work? Really havent a clue about autos!!

Just to add, I got in the car today, hadn't been used since last night for 10 mins.. but the abs light remained on, indicators didn't work and rpm gauge didn't work...

Was parked under the sun allll day...

Wondering if it cud be an ECU problem or something?

Also, i was fiddling with the air box before the probs came about, cud i have pulled on anything?

rich850t5
Monday 11th April 2005, 20:22
Yeah, i've had a few comments on a 'valve' due to bad old fluid..
Anyway of sorting this without major work? Really havent a clue about autos!!

Just to add, I got in the car today, hadn't been used since last night for 10 mins.. but the abs light remained on, indicators didn't work and rpm gauge didn't work...

Was parked under the sun allll day...

Wondering if it cud be an ECU problem or something?

Also, i was fiddling with the air box before the probs came about, cud i have pulled on anything?que bracer me thinks! :blowingup

Wobbly Dave
Monday 11th April 2005, 22:34
It is unlikely however co-incidental that your AT probs have arisen from the airbox mods.

My box would still drive (badly) after the ATF change when it was nuked.

I suspect that you have a fault but not a major one. My chap up here will happily look at it for you.

(ps I have move the thread accordingly)

rich850t5
Monday 11th April 2005, 23:44
(ps I have move the thread accordingly)SUPER DAVE STRIKES AGAIN!

MarkGolf
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 23:08
That wud be good Dave!!

The people on this forum are soooo friendly against my VW sites!! :D
Going to do a fluid change tomorrow, then will see if I get the burnt smell and see how long it runs for..
If not, I will be in touch Dave! Would love someone to hook it up to a diagnostic mahcine!! I dont spose Volvo would do it for less than an hours labour??
Anyone?

Tomcat
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 23:18
The fault with the abs lights,rev counter and indicators sounds like a worn ignition switch, try turning it back slightly after starting the car. If this works either get used to turning the key back a bit every time or replace the switch behind the barrel, its and easy job only takes about 15 mins max.

siamblue
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 00:38
That wud be good Dave!!

The people on this forum are soooo friendly against my VW sites!! :D
Going to do a fluid change tomorrow, then will see if I get the burnt smell and see how long it runs for..
If not, I will be in touch Dave! Would love someone to hook it up to a diagnostic mahcine!! I dont spose Volvo would do it for less than an hours labour??
Anyone?

Mark mate,Get in contact with Braydons,They are in Dalston they have a web site too so do a search,

MarkGolf
Wednesday 13th April 2005, 23:21
the lights and rev counter aint happened since that day... so not worried about that...
But finally gave the box its FULL ATF change today, done all properly and topped up to the correct level, so Im satisfied with that..
Well, took it out tonight, caught up witha few mates at the local 'santa pod' well, done a totaly of 34 mins driving i'd say and it started giving way, started to feel like a slipping clutch then just nothing.. So pulled over, turnt car off, locked, unlocked and turned it back on and got 3 mins down the road, started doing it again, so pulled over, opened bonnet, let it cool for 5 mins, then started her up and it got me home (5 mins)..

GAY is all I can say!
Had a look at both ECU's, both seem perfect, bit warm, but guess thats normal..
While I was under the car today, I notice that there was no plastic cover under the rad, isn't there meant to be some kind of plastic ducting under it to direct air up?

Anyone got numbers for the mentioned people above?
It seems that it can't manage journeys longer than 30 mins now..
I can only think that the internals of the box are getting tooo hot and its giving up/worn or a sensor has gone tits up... I am really not giving in as I want to keep this car soooooo bad, but its looking more and more likely to be P/Xed!!
Guna hopefully get a decent garage to fully check it PROPERLY this Fri/sat and hopefully give me a verdict via a diagnostic machine!

Really wanted to stay out and give some RST's a run :mgshoot: :wave23d:

siamblue
Thursday 14th April 2005, 02:08
These guys are top guys,They won't stitch you up like some dealers.

Auto boxes £200-500 with 3 month warranty

Braydons (http://www.volvocarparts.co.uk/recycled_volvo_parts2.asp?cid=3616&pid=&CPS=0&OrderID=864263115605&CartQ=0)

nikgallagher
Thursday 14th April 2005, 08:49
I go to a good independant in North Cheam who read my codes for me for some beer tokens. Nice bloke too.

GB Autos
16a Cheam Common
Worcester Park
Surrey KT4 8RW
tel: 020 8330 6090

It wasn't the mad mile (A217) you were referring to as the local Santa Pod was it?

MarkGolf
Thursday 14th April 2005, 12:52
Braydons sounds good, got a number?

Nik, yeah, thats the place :)

nikgallagher
Thursday 14th April 2005, 13:32
Drive down that road every day on the way home from work, and never get bored of the stunned expressions on beemer drivers faces as they get trounced by a volvo. Classic.

siamblue
Thursday 14th April 2005, 22:09
These guys are top guys,They won't stitch you up like some dealers.

Auto boxes £200-500 with 3 month warranty

Braydons (http://www.volvocarparts.co.uk/recycled_volvo_parts2.asp?cid=3616&pid=&CPS=0&OrderID=864263115605&CartQ=0)

Mark click the above link.

Justin is there any way we can make the links more obvious to people as you will agree that my link with the word BRAYDONS might not be seen as a link.

Gary