PDA

View Full Version : Passenger airbag questions

Baj
Tuesday 3rd October 2006, 15:02
1) Any tips on removing the dash without blowing the airbag?

2) I have decided I dont want to lose the spare wheel so the PC will need to go into the glovebox. See wobbly image
http://w92.org/temp/t5/pcfit2.jpg

I can mount an ali plate at the top of the glovebox hole and hang the motherboard off that BUT is there ANY chance the PC could set off the airbag?

dreadly
Tuesday 3rd October 2006, 15:23
Disclaimer :- *Firstly I am no expert, double check everything I am telling you*

When I removed my last passenger airbag (pug 406) I disconnected a single yellow wire from the back of the airbag unit, this seemed to deactivate it enough for me to wourk around it and remove it, I was told to disconnect the battery for ten mins first.

I very much doubt the PC will interfere with the airbag though, although do consider the heat dissapation factors.

Baj
Tuesday 3rd October 2006, 17:14
Cool ta.
I shall bump this post for the experts :)

Vikingxl
Tuesday 3rd October 2006, 18:34
Dont remember seeing anything that would cause a problem but im no expert

Baj
Tuesday 3rd October 2006, 20:07
Cool. What about point 1?

Vikingxl
Tuesday 3rd October 2006, 20:11
Yeah negative lead off the battery for ten minutes and then be gentle!

Baj
Wednesday 4th October 2006, 15:44
If I have the airbag out and unconnected can I connect the battery again?
I dont want to leave it overnight without the alarm!?!?!?

Baj
Wednesday 4th October 2006, 16:11
Please

dreadly
Wednesday 4th October 2006, 16:26
Please

errr, if the airbag is out, I don't see an issue, I dont think the system will set them off in it's absence just use 'gentle hands' with the airbags, you really don't want to damage them.

Don't try suing me for the cost of a load of bloody airbags if this goes nasty though :) It's at your risk :wink:

Baj
Wednesday 4th October 2006, 17:10
Well the airbag isnt connected its in my cellar so that isnt a worry.
Will I get SRS lights forever?

Vikingxl
Wednesday 4th October 2006, 17:17
I will offer odds of 50/50

dreadly
Wednesday 4th October 2006, 17:24
yea, that's a tricky one, just leave a police aware sticker on the windscreen, nobody'l nick it then. :)

Take the battery out of the car, along with the dizzy cap, then lock the door manually, a lot less risky i think.

Baj
Wednesday 4th October 2006, 17:54
I have no locks on the outside of my car :)