PDA

View Full Version : How can I test AWD is working

Drastic
Tuesday 3rd October 2006, 10:46
My S60R is wheelspinning the front wheels in the wet and it isn't too hard to make it skip when accellerating. It's feeling like a front wheel drive. The front tyres are worn but it seems funny it lets them spin. The AWD is supposed to put the power to the rear within 1/4 rotation of a spinning wheel. Maybe something is broken or maybe it's just the tyres? I asked a guy at Volvo and he said it couldn't fail and not give a warning light but I'd like to know for sure before changing the tyres in case I'm hiding any problem. Any suggestions?

SaffronC70
Tuesday 3rd October 2006, 11:16
Hi

I remember reading somewhere that there is a weak spot in the drivechain where a coupling to the axle that feeds the rear wheels becomes loose/breaks effectively making the car front wheel drive . . .

Volvo replace this with an uprated part . . .

Someone will fill you in :)

Chris

Drastic
Tuesday 3rd October 2006, 23:14
Thanks Chris. Something is definitely wrong. I tried it again today and on a flat dry road I can get the fronts wheelspinning even from a rolling start. Anyone got any more info? Is it something like a cv joint on the propshaft that's likely to be broken?

franky
Wednesday 4th October 2006, 00:17
Hi mate, the metal sleve that connects the gearbox shaft to the angle gear shaft has worn away, thats why your awd isnt working, there is a new sleve which is made out of stronger metal, the only snag is, the gearbox shaft and angle gear shaft could be damaged as well, u mignt therefore need a new gearbox and angle worst case, or just a new metal sleve best case

u wont see any warnings on the dash, cos there's no sensores in that bit to tell u its broke, tell the guy at your local volvo dealers to phone volvo, to get the full story on it.

have u any warrenty left with car, cos u are going to need it!

is there a kind of dampness of oil (sweat), on the anglegear?, if there is u will need a new anglegear for another reason, the breather hole on the anglegear doesnt work right, justs ends up leaking a very small amount oil from it

ive had a all these problems with mine and alot more!(its a shame really, such a nice car to drive, etc)

M44K TS
Wednesday 4th October 2006, 01:08
i would say to test it, get onto a big open field.......

Vikingxl
Wednesday 4th October 2006, 08:06
Drastic where abouts are you?Powerstation at tewkesbury have a 4wd dyno if thats near to you.If not im sure there are others around

franky
Wednesday 4th October 2006, 16:04
if the front wheels are spinning atall, the awd is not working!, go straight to volvo dealer with your problem

Drastic
Wednesday 4th October 2006, 17:58
Looks like what Franky said is right. I looked at it on a lift today and with the front wheels running the propshaft isn't turning and there is a thin coating of oil on the 'box' at the front end of the propshaft. (Angle Gear?) There isn't any sign of leaks or damage at any visible bearings though so I suppose the problem is all inside the box. I'll get it into Volvo and get the bad news in a couple of days. No, it's 3 months out of warranty so I might have to cut back on a few Sky channels for a while. Damn! Thanks for your help, I'll keep you posted.

franky
Wednesday 4th October 2006, 20:29
Thank you very much! lol, ive had loads of probs with mine, there's quite a few weak parts being used on the first R phase2 cars, other R's built in 05/06 start to improve, any built in 03/04 will have a big list of problems.

next things to look out for are -

radiator leak
fuel pump
back wheel bearings
clutch & slave cylinder, (mine just went, no clutch dumps)
power steering oil container leak(if it looks damp with oil, u need a new one)

and more!

good luck

T5ER
Wednesday 4th October 2006, 21:12
angle gear and new sleeve mate the only way foward, XC70`s and XC90`s pre 05/55 plate suffer same problems,more the D5`s though due to the torque they put out but it is a problem

Drastic
Monday 23rd October 2006, 16:25
Update: Well it's gone into Volvo and the angle gear needs replacing because it's leaking oil. They've removed the old one but now the trouble is they can't get the sleeve out the gearbox. They've tried heating it and getting a puller on it but it won't budge. Short of a new gearbox, anyone got any ideas how to get it out?

franky
Monday 23rd October 2006, 23:45
Update: Well it's gone into Volvo and the angle gear needs replacing because it's leaking oil. They've removed the old one but now the trouble is they can't get the sleeve out the gearbox. They've tried heating it and getting a puller on it but it won't budge. Short of a new gearbox, anyone got any ideas how to get it out?

my volvo dealer had the same problem, there is a special tool for taking it off, not sure wot tool they used tho, mine was hard to get off, but they managed in the end(thankgod)

yours sounds pretty bad, i would hope volvo are going to help out, if it does need a new gearbox, its a known problem, they should pay for some it, see wot your dealer says

dave

dave stew
Friday 1st August 2008, 16:09
Thought I'd resurrect this from 2006. I am very seriously considering a V70R (2004 ish) as they have become very affordable. There are two manuals in autotrader this week for example, with around 40,000 miles on and £12 - £14,000.

However - these AWD horror stories keep coming up. Should I get my sensible trousers on and buy a facelift V70 T5 instead?

Thing is, an R is that bit more special and I'm a bit fed up with torque steer...