PDA

View Full Version : will internals cope with these mods??

baba850r2006
Monday 2nd October 2006, 17:02
hi i was planning on rebuilding my 1996 850 t5s engine with stronger rods pistons,glt cam,ported s60r manifold larger injectors and either a 19t turbo or a garrett gt30 plus a remap and possibly a very light anti lag.but due to a change of circumstances i was thinking of just upgrading the turbo adding larger injectors.would green tops be ok?adding the glt cam still and water injection plus remap.what turbo would you guys go for?i guess for the easier fitting a 19t?would you get a 360degree bearing added?any ideas or tips appreciated!anyone with the same or similer spec?what power would you expectand finally and most important will the engine and internals cope with the power hike?

volvotuning
Monday 2nd October 2006, 17:10
will the engine and internals cope with the power hike?

depends on the power hike!

Adam.

Al115
Monday 2nd October 2006, 17:18
I had very nearly that spec car, except on a V70 - 19T, ported manifold, 3" downpipe, race cat, 2.5" exhaust, induction cone, green injectors (still got em, for sale...), water injection, remap... just over 300bhp. Internals were fine until the BCS failed.

BlackBeast
Monday 2nd October 2006, 22:43
300whp? So maybe an electronic boost controller is a good idea with those sort of mods?

volvotuning
Monday 2nd October 2006, 23:28
300whp? So maybe an electronic boost controller is a good idea with those sort of mods?

What's to stop that from failing too? Also Alastair, I'm surprised you bent the rods because normally with ME7 the ECU will use the throttle to control the boost if it registers a boost control fault.

Adam.

BlackBeast
Tuesday 3rd October 2006, 00:19
How many cases that you know of have there been of the standard BCS failing Adam? I remember Hamish changing my BCS for a new one in the hope for more boost pressure. What makes them fail?

volvotuning
Tuesday 3rd October 2006, 00:43
How many cases that you know of have there been of the standard BCS failing Adam? I remember Hamish changing my BCS for a new one in the hope for more boost pressure. What makes them fail?

It's an electro-mechanical part, so prone to wear and tear like any other. Normally they tend to stick a bit, ie they can't respond fast enough to the ECU control signal.

I have never seen a complete failure, but we often see faulty ones where they don't control the boost properly. They still work, but not as well as they should.

Adam.