PDA

View Full Version : knocking V70D5SE

horbs
Sunday 1st October 2006, 20:01
I've read with interest about knocking noises coming from the front end of these cars, as I have the same problem. The knocks come randomly either from right or left usually after going over speed humps or more rarely under hard accelleration, my car has done around 40k bought recently from a main dealer (squire furneaux of maidenhead) they had it in and lubricated the coil springs and drive shaft splines to no effect , the strange thing is it dosn't do it all the time. can anyone help?

T-5ones
Sunday 1st October 2006, 21:58
Got the same on mine and am trying to sort it all out now. Top engine mount was a good start. Due to mount being knacked, suspect the bushes ontop of the front springs might have had a hard time. They are next for investigation.

jimmyc
Sunday 1st October 2006, 22:56
i had a knocking and after the main dealer replaced all the front suspension it turned out to be the subframe mounts

chewy
Thursday 5th October 2006, 02:02
Had a similar fault on mine, Chapmans of Malton sorted. Was a bush I think on the link rods.

swordy21
Thursday 5th October 2006, 12:05
Most likely suspension top mounts - if you can turn the nut on top of the strut round any distance then they're gone.

Also the drop link bushes go as well.

Both not very expensive - I think the drop links are about £18 per side.

Best to get a pro to do the top mounts as it is a bit tricky.

I think there is a thread on here about it somewhere.

Ah Ha - Here it is - http://members.shaw.ca/heeeeee/strut/

GATHY
Thursday 5th October 2006, 19:33
Most likely suspension top mounts - if you can turn the nut on top of the strut round any distance then they're gone.

Also the drop link bushes go as well.

Both not very expensive - I think the drop links are about £18 per side.

Best to get a pro to do the top mounts as it is a bit tricky.

I think there is a thread on here about it somewhere.

Ah Ha - Here it is - http://members.shaw.ca/heeeeee/strut/

seems alot of folk think droplinks have bushes ,id say more like a plastic housed ball joint myself on each end of a rod and there a common failure on on most later volvos not dear and very easy to replace yourself ie. 2 nuts per link you only need to take your wheel off or you can pay someone to do it for you if you like to throw money down the drain

engine top mounting go also these are easy to check also.by grapping the support/strut bar and twisting it from front to back and visually inspecting the rubber mounting for cracks or wear

horbs
Friday 6th October 2006, 23:11
thanks for replying , I tend to think you may be right with the drop links as i reached under yesterday and had a good pull at them and could almost replicate the sound albeit not as loud .regards nigel