PDA

View Full Version : why for rover

volvolised
Saturday 30th September 2006, 22:19
Just trying to get full attention, anyways, was out on normal run, after about 20 miles as i pulled into roadside to park, dash lights up,no powersteering and brakes crap also losing some water from coolant tank, car is still ticking over normaly and temp guage in the middle. turn't off, wait a bit, restart as normal and no lights on dash,continue on normal run, never happened before, any ideas ??:wallbash:

BlackBeast
Saturday 30th September 2006, 22:36
Alternator or battery!?!

volvolised
Saturday 30th September 2006, 22:47
Hi B.B,
Am thinking along the same lines, dont think it's the battery though!!, am wondering if steam from coolant tank went and shorted alternator ?? have had coolant overpressure before and need to change cap methinks. No water in oil etc so am sure head gasket is fine..

MIKESC70T5
Saturday 30th September 2006, 23:10
High Warren,
pop in and see me at work on Sunday and i can test your alternator and battery for you.It's sounds like you had a short power loss which would mean losing your power steering etc.

Mike.:shockedbi

volvolised
Saturday 30th September 2006, 23:29
Nice one mike,will do, cheers!!

colnotts
Sunday 1st October 2006, 19:28
hey volvolised where did the dont kickmy dog bit come from????
i heard this story about 2 years or so ago from a mate cant be the same thing????
cheers col

volvolised
Sunday 1st October 2006, 19:50
Believe it or not i was first told it over 20 years ago and it still makes me chuckle, just thought it would be a good attention grabber t'other night, with regards to thread , many thanks mike for checking battery and alternator, all is good there but i definately seem to be holding excess pressure within the coolant system, still believe it's the cap but would you guy's agree a full flush is nescessary.

gazjacko
Monday 2nd October 2006, 17:38
I had similar symptoms from a breaking down Coil-Pack which was shorting out. It rectified itself until I got back from France then went again the day after my travel insurance ran out!!!