PDA

View Full Version : Injector Cleaner

mulletboy2
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:32
What is everyone's take on this type of product? Is it worth doing, or likely to cause any damage? Any preference on brands?

I had an ex Alfa mechanic (one of the good ones) at my old company, and he advised running a bottle of the stuff in around a quarter of a tank (rather than a whole tank, as recommended on the bottles) every 3-6 months.. but that was on my old Rover 220.. so just curious if you guys agree with regard to the 850?

Cheers

Mark

Bracer
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:33
What is everyone's take on this type of product? Is it worth doing, or likely to cause any damage? Any preference on brands?

I had an ex Alfa mechanic (one of the good ones) at my old company, and he advised running a bottle of the stuff in around a quarter of a tank (rather than a whole tank, as recommended on the bottles) every 3-6 months.. but that was on my old Rover 220.. so just curious if you guys agree with regard to the 850?

Cheers

Mark

I run Redex Fuel System Treatment all the time.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:35
I doubt that the injectors on Nookie are blocked, what with the additives in Optimax. I would seek advice from Hamish on this one. I would not like to recommend a course of action that would cause her damage. I would err on the side of caution on this one.

mulletboy2
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:41
Cheers Bracer :)

Any particular reason why it's Redex, or just a matter of habbit?

When you say "fuel system treatment", I'm not familiar with the Redex range, but this site shows that there's Petrol Treatment and Injector Treatment (http://www.honeywell.com.au/business/holts/redex/rpt.html) - is it one of those, or is there another one that's not listed? Do they do basically the same thing, or is there a world of difference?

Problem with injector treatments I guess, is that you only ever see a marked improvement the first time you use it, providing you're using it regularly. Did you notice any significant gains on your first use?

Cheers

Mark

mulletboy2
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:44
Cheers Dave too - you hadn't replied when I replied to Bracer (you must be getting slow in your old age :hidesbehi ) :D

I'd be very interested in hearing Hamish and/or Adam's advice on the matter, so hopefully one of them will reply.

I invariably run Nookie on Esso Supreme (or whatever they call it), and I'm not suggesting that there's necessarily any problems, but I don't mind spending a few quid every few months to keep her that way, if it may be of use :)

I'm certainly not going to throw anything in her until I've had the opinions of the gurus though, hence my question.

Cheers

Mark

Bracer
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:45
Cheers Bracer :)

Any particular reason why it's Redex, or just a matter of habbit?

When you say "fuel system treatment", I'm not familiar with the Redex range, but this site shows that there's Petrol Treatment and Injector Treatment (http://www.honeywell.com.au/business/holts/redex/rpt.html) - is it one of those, or is there another one that's not listed? Do they do basically the same thing, or is there a world of difference?

Problem with injector treatments I guess, is that you only ever see a marked improvement the first time you use it, providing you're using it regularly. Did you notice any significant gains on your first use?

Cheers

Mark

As Dave mentioned injectors tend not to get blocked, but the fuel system in general can get clogged up thus the one I picked.

It also clears carbon deposites from the combustion chambers reducing upper cylinder temperatures.

mulletboy2
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:49
As Dave mentioned injectors tend not to get blocked, but the fuel system in general can get clogged up thus the one I picked.

It also clears carbon deposites from the combustion chambers reducing upper cylinder temperatures.
Thanks mate :)

Bracer
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:51
Thanks mate :)

Always a pleasure :B_thumb:

Wobbly Dave
Monday 11th April 2005, 11:00
Do you not get a similar effect from the cleaning agents (toluene?) in Optimax?

Bracer
Monday 11th April 2005, 11:05
Do you not get a similar effect from the cleaning agents (toluene?) in Optimax?

Yes, but not to the same extent. The cleaning agants in the top fuels do a great job of reducing the build up (i.e. stopping it from building up) but their still not that great and getting shot of the already dirty areas.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 11th April 2005, 14:34
Methinks a spot of redex is in order. Plus if you cut the bottom off the empty bottle they make a great spout for filling the ATF.

Bracer
Monday 11th April 2005, 14:35
Methinks a spot of redex is in order. Plus if you cut the bottom off the empty bottle they make a great spout for filling the ATF.

See its a Win Win situation Dave :rainfro: