PDA

View Full Version : In-cab ventillation

nikgallagher
Monday 11th April 2005, 07:55
I noticed a slight noise coming from the vents in my 854 T5 CD this morning when I first turned the fan on. It was similar noise to a belt slipping, and happens perhaps two or three times at ~10 sec intervals. The A/C was switched off, so am hoping it's nothing to do with that, but anyone got any ideas as to the probable cause? Ta.

chriskay
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:15
Fan bearing squeaking? Does it vary with fan speed? Just a thought.
Cheers, Chris.

mulletboy2
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:26
I get this problem too. Sometimes it doesn't happen atall for a couple of days and other times it can drive you insane, happening for a longish period of time, many times over the course of a single journey. A quite high pitch squeel, always out of the far passenger side vent. Moppy suggested bearings to me too, but if anyone has any other ideas, I'd be interested in hearing them. I suspect I'll be having the dash apart at some point soon, so if there's anything I can look at then it would be handy.

Cheers

Mark

Wobbly Dave
Monday 11th April 2005, 10:28
The fan motor could be the culprit. I have a spare that works fine if someone wants to make me an offer. I will even fit it for you?

I thought my old fan was busted - so I went to Salvo and picked up a 2nd hand one. Turned out I was wrong and the old fan was just fine. :bricks:

Doh! Couldn't be bothered sending it back. Good news for you lot eh?

nikgallagher
Monday 11th April 2005, 13:00
Is there a fan behind each vent then? I will have to investigate further. As long as it's not an aircon problem (and therefore muchos deneros) I am happy.

Martinr
Monday 11th April 2005, 14:19
I also have experienced this intermittently on my 96 855.

I thought at first that it was something fretting. I found the noise stopped when the car was turned to the right only for it to return when the steering was returned to centre.

Then I noticed that moving the fan speed can cause it to stop as well.

Whilst fitting the phone in my car I had the trim down in this area, (the one under the glove box held in by three Torx screws).

Since then I have covered approx 500 miles and haven't noticed the noise.

I am now totally confused as to what it is!!

bay13
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 00:32
The fan in the climate contol box has sealed bearings. When the fan bearings begin to stop working, you will notice the noise sometimes and then depending on the temperature or the fan speed you may not hear it at all. Another clue is when making a turn you might hear a noise from the fan area, the turn has loaded up the fan bearings just right to make the noise. I've known several people that have removed the fan, clean things up and oiled the shaft and bearings only to find this a temp fix.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 00:42
Hello! (I shouted quite loudly) :welcome:

I replaced one fan today. Good news is that it is a relatively simple job to do.

I should have done a how 2 - Doh! :rolleyes2

Good news is that the problem is sorted (for Mulletboy). Bad news is I am clean outa fans (even though some may profess some admiration for my work)

mulletboy2
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 08:49
Yes Dave, I should have brought my camera :(

Problem fixed for me - woohoo :D

Andrew
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 08:50
I'll look forward to the How2 Dave as I think I've a similar problem.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 12th April 2005, 11:40
Salvo, mate. I will be happy to come see you, fit it and then go see our "neighbour" ;)