PDA

View Full Version : Tyres for my AWD R,

siamblue
Wednesday 27th September 2006, 23:31
Right guys and gals, I am currently selling my Tritons and i do love them but i want to go back to 17" Comets, as the ride is a little bit bangy with the pot holes around my area,
So not only am i buying Comets i am also considering new rubber for these alloys,
Now i have a few tyres in mind, so thought i would start a Poll up as to what and why, as to your recommendations,

regards Gary,

S60D5
Wednesday 27th September 2006, 23:36
I've not tried any of them, so can't really give a good reccomendation from the list you've given.

I would say though, that out of the tyres I've tried - the Continental SportContact 2's are good tyres but a bit noisy, and the Goodyear Eagle F1's are excellent and very good value for money too.

I need a couple on the D5 soon and it'll be Goodyears that I'll be ordering.

BlackBeast
Thursday 28th September 2006, 00:57
Info on the Toyo R888:-

http://www.fccuk.org/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=G002&Number=189372&page=0&fpart=1

d.tribe
Thursday 28th September 2006, 02:05
i'm running toyo t1-rs on my 850 t5. I like them but havent tried any others you mention. Wouldnt use bridgestones though.

arbee
Thursday 28th September 2006, 07:03
from experience i would go with Goodyear F1 GSD3- terrific wet and dry drip and real progeressive breakawy IMO. I have tried Toyo T1-S but not the newer 'R' - wasnt that impressed. Had kuhmos on the volvo when i got it which were awful but cant remember the type.

siamblue
Thursday 28th September 2006, 09:33
Info on the Toyo R888:-

http://www.fccuk.org/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=G002&Number=189372&page=0&fpart=1

I was a bit worried about the tread on the R888 or lack of in a torrential downpour, might just think about the other 2 options, i love the tread pattern of the Parada but it isn;t only about the looks .

simonc
Thursday 28th September 2006, 09:58
Unless your V70R is mostly used for trackdays then forget R888's complete waste of money for a road tyre, i have 2 sets of wheels for my trackday cossie, R888's are superb on the track but poor in the rain & only come with about 5mm of tread from new. They are also a very harsh ride as the side walls are extremely stiff,if you were lucky you might get 2000-3000 miles out of the fronts,so forget R888's for the road only.
I also use Parada spec 2 in 215/40/17 for road use on the cossie,they are a very good tyre but some say not as good in the wet as maybe a Goodyear but i don't use mine in the wet so would'nt know. They are only £77.00 fitted inc vat from Elite in Romford so its quite a good buy. I also really rate bridgestone S02's but not sure if they make them anymore. Do'nt bother with the likes of Kumho ,i found them terrible. Also tried Toyo proxes T1s & not a great fan of these either, i had Bridgestone S02's on the back of my M3 & then changed to Toyo proxes T1s what a load of rubbish they were.

Simon.

siamblue
Thursday 28th September 2006, 10:33
Unless your V70R is mostly used for trackdays then forget R888's complete waste of money for a road tyre, i have 2 sets of wheels for my trackday cossie, R888's are superb on the track but poor in the rain & only come with about 5mm of tread from new. They are also a very harsh ride as the side walls are extremely stiff,if you were lucky you might get 2000-3000 miles out of the fronts,so forget R888's for the road only.
I also use Parada spec 2 in 215/40/17 for road use on the cossie,they are a very good tyre but some say not as good in the wet as maybe a Goodyear but i don't use mine in the wet so would'nt know. They are only £77.00 fitted inc vat from Elite in Romford so its quite a good buy. I also really rate bridgestone S02's but not sure if they make them anymore. Do'nt bother with the likes of Kumho ,i found them terrible. Also tried Toyo proxes T1s & not a great fan of these either, i had Bridgestone S02's on the back of my M3 & then changed to Toyo proxes T1s what a load of rubbish they were.

Simon.

cheers mate, Elite is only down the road from me :biggrin:

elliot
Thursday 28th September 2006, 10:55
I hve tried Avon zz3 rubbi£££££hey squealed like a pike,and were'nt very qrippy.Goodyear GSD3 great in the dry and the wet,they are quiet,and last ages.Also tried kumho MX's they were great in the dry tiny bit better than the goodyears when warm,with a more positive feel,due to stiffer sidewalls.But were'nt very good at all in the damp/wet!

siamblue
Monday 2nd October 2006, 14:04
I am going to get the Toyo T1-R's they have a great write up on tyretest.com overall 1.6, great in the wet and dry and low tyre noise, fitted at £82 a corner,
the Parada's were a bit to risky for my liking a lot of people saying they were bad in the wet,

BlackBeast
Monday 2nd October 2006, 14:13
Would be good to know how long the T1-Rs last for on our front heavy cars, thats my only fear with them, as you said gary wet and dry grip is supposed to be very good.

siamblue
Monday 2nd October 2006, 15:45
Bloody tyres have been giving me a headache lol, should stick with the Dunnys really excellent tyres,

here is the site you can browse till your hearts content,

BB this guy had a lotus and he said the tyres didn't get warm enough on his go kart,

28.09.2006 from Uldis Ĝ Score 1.9

Grip in dry conditions Score 2
Braking in dry condtions Score 3
Grip in wet conditions Score 1
Braking in wet condition Score 3
Grip in snow Score 5
Comfort Score 2
Tyre noise (in car) Score 1
Tyre noise (external) Score 1
Tyre wear Score 1
Kilometers driven 10.000 km

tyre dimension and Make of car
225 / 45 R17 V
Lotus Exige
Would your buy this tyre again? probably not
Remarks
For a lightweight car they don't work, the rubber compound is too hard and never gets sticky enough. They look like they're going to last a lifetime and when used in anger they become slippery, go up in smoke instead of gripping. Good water clearance though but as a sports tyre in a lightweight car it doesn't work.

http://www.tyretest.com/pkw_sommerreifen/index.html

most of the above site is in german,