PDA

View Full Version : confused which mbc to use.

castlet5
Wednesday 27th September 2006, 22:33
Hi all :)

With a ball and spring type (t-shaped) mbc, should the spring be acting directly on the ball bearing (pressing onto it) or should the bearing sit in the "cupped" part at the bottom of the t part of the body with the spring running across the top of it? :confused:

very Sorry for the confusing post but i have 2 different types of mbc lying around and am wondering which to fit.

Andy.

craig
Wednesday 27th September 2006, 23:30
:confused: your confused .... try sitting here. a good tip is , when you take em appart , look how they come appart, but whichever you fit , dont turn it up too much unless you dont mind turning your rods into porridge.

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 27th September 2006, 23:34
If you don't get an answer by tomorrow ....bump this thread back up and I'll go out and have a look at mine for you...

shaun850
Thursday 28th September 2006, 08:26
im sure it sit's on the spring matey

Rnash2002
Thursday 28th September 2006, 09:10
Ball in first the spring over the top of it.

castlet5
Thursday 28th September 2006, 09:54
cheers guys for the replies.

ive put the bearing in the cup with the spring running horizontaly across the top with the vent hole on top of both. If thats wrong i figure it just wont work or block all air getting through anyway so a bit of trial and error aswell i suppose.

ps: craig : you are spot on mate, ive a nasty habit of taking things apart in good will but being stupid and not noting actually how they came apart!! :biggrin:

castlet5
Thursday 28th September 2006, 12:13
Yeay!!

got it sorted now, when i installed the ball bearing in one way the mbc jst wouldnt adjust at all and it sat at normal/factory boost level as if i hadnt installed an mbc. But when i put it in the other way it works as it should and adjusts nicely :biggrin:

I got alot of kind help inc instructions from pedro fandango on installing this so i didnt want to f**k owt up at this stage.

It feels alot better than the old cheapo bleed valve that was on the car when i got it, the old bleed valve was tapped into the bcs to actuator pipe and it used to spike and hit cutoff all the time, where as this ball/spring mbc installed by by-passing the bcs feels alot smoother and less like an on/off switch.

Andy.

Rnash2002
Thursday 28th September 2006, 13:25
Glad you got it sorted mate

craig
Friday 29th September 2006, 22:23
they sure are good cheap fun , never did 25 quid give so much grin factor , the mbc i had fitted was a straight valve (not a tee) so i couldnt help. i always found there was someone on here that had the answer to any question.
regards craig.

castlet5
Saturday 30th September 2006, 12:42
Yes good wee mod indeed craig, ive adjusted it carefully to peak at 13psi which drops of to about 11psi higher up the revs, ive been led to believe this is a safe limit and thats where the lock nut is staying lol!! :)

Its easy to see how a rush of blood or curiosity could make someone just turn the adjuster twice more and KABOOM game over - nice bit of 20 odd psi boost for a few seconds then dead engine :hbomb: im definately going to leave the acuator rod alone though, a bit risky imho. Just need to find/rob/beg £500 for that damn good offer on the rica and milltek at volvo tuning now.